Mt. Achilles & Perrins Bluff

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt. Achilles & Perrins Bluff

Postby stu » Wed 28 Jan, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi,

anyone been out to Leonards Tarn / Mt. Achilles / Perrins Bluff that can give any beta or share some photos?
I have notes from Chapmans guide + The Abels so really after personal experiences from others.
I have a trip out that way planned for Easter.
Looks like a great area from the various angles I have viewed from. Perrins Bluff high on my to-do list.

Cheers.

Stuart.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt. Achilles & Perrins Bluff

Postby bluewombat » Wed 28 Jan, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi Stu
I have only been as far as Thetis, so have only limited info for you. The track up to Thetis is not easy to locate where is joins the Overland, but if you cast about a bit you can find it. It is where the map locates it and my recollection is that it leaves the Overland at a relatively open patch of ground. Once you have found it there are enough markers to follow it without too much trouble. Passes through some really nice areas of forest, alpine gardens and one long patch of thigh high scoparia. Some evidence of old coal digging activity where you would not expect it up below the ridge line leading back to Ossa. Have attached a photo of Achilles from just below the last boulder field before summit plateau of Thetis, Leonards tarn would be tucked around to the left of the arm of Thetis I think. The boulder fields around Thetis are solid walking/jumping/climbing etc.
cheers
bw
achilles from thetis on pelion walk 2004 077 (3) (Small).jpg
achilles from thetis on pelion walk 2004 077 (3) (Small).jpg (37.61 KiB) Viewed 9640 times
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scrub master » Wed 28 Jan, 2009 7:41 pm

Howdy Stu
I spent three nights by Leonards Tarn in '93 and picked off everything that could be done in the area and then came back down to Pelion Gap over Ossa. It's a magical spot which is very rarely visited. I reckon I can give you most of the beta you are after - when are you thinking of heading in ? I'm in town next week but then I'm off to Frenchmans at the same time as Jed & Steve for a run up the chimes, then out to the Spires for a week.
PM me and I'll see what I can dig up - no use using the work address as I'm off for the next 5 weeks.
Cheers
Ivan
scrub master
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tastrekker » Fri 30 Jan, 2009 6:18 am

One summer, I was in a group that did all the Pelions. We had notes which suggested a circuit involving traverses of Pelion West, Thetis and Ossa. We decided to do away with the traverses and ended up with the following agenda:
Day 1: Pillinger, Camp: New Pelion
2. Pelion West, Paddys Nut, Camp: Thetis-Ossa sadlle
3. Thetis, Perrins, Achillies, Achillies Heel, Camp: Thetis-Ossa saddle
4: New Pelion, Ossa, Dorris, Pelion East, Camp: New Pelion
5: Oakleigh

As you can see, we did not camp at Leonards Tarn. The camping in the Thetis-Ossa saddle is nicer than Leonards Tarn because you can pitch the tent on fairly smooth grass in the vicinity of some pencil pines on the slope of Thetis. This makes for a long day trip out to PB (the 'other' PB) and Achillies. However, it saves you carrying the pack on a Thetis traverse.

The camping around Leonards Tarn would be lovely but there is no clear grass as such. It is all what I would call coral bush which makes for slightly lumpy camping.

A mistake we made on that trip was traversing Thetis around the northern side as we thought it would be quicker than over the top. It was very quick to traverse the patches of scree but the scrub in between was a tad ugly. Over the top would have been as quick.

Perrins Bluff features a northern peak and it is tempting to get too high on this northern peak, only to then have to descend again. You need to be careful though. There are cliffs on the SE flank of the final summit ridge and if you are too low, you can end up below these. The trick is to contour around first peak aiming to hit the saddle and then follow the ridge crest.

While I have not done the traverse via Pelion West, it looks fairly easy. The ridge is very open and scrub free. If you are into traverses, from the summit of Pelion West, it looks like the walk down the other side would be very similar to the walk up the proper PW track.

The final comment I would make is that I am yet to climb Ossa from the Thetis-Ossa ridge. It looks easy-ish in theory. I have only attempted it in deep snow one winter. We were aiming to skirt the fairly scrub free NW flank of the mountain and aim for the ridgeline east of the NW peak with the obelisk on top. With very limited visibility, we crested the ridge too early and ended up stuck on the obelisk peak in way too much snow. Some of the gaping holes between boulders were starting to freak us out so we piked. I still believe the ascent from this way would be fairly straight forward if you have the visibility or navigational nouse to avoid the obelisk peak.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stu » Fri 30 Jan, 2009 7:12 am

Cheers guys, very much appreciated beta as always.
It sounds like the camping in Thetis/Ossa saddle might be the better option - is there a water source there / close by?
I'm happy with long day trips, so base camping here & doing Achilles / PB2 with day packs suits me fine, just gotta convince the others in my party :wink:
If we camp here we may just head back to the O/L track to access Pelion West & Mt. Proteus rather than doing the ridge traverse from Leonards Tarn.
Maybe camp at or near Pine Forest Moor somewhere.
Thank's again, anyone with more photos happy to put them up would be great :D

Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bluewombat » Fri 30 Jan, 2009 9:20 am

Hi Stu
nice camping on Thetis Ossa saddle, more at the Thetis end if I remember. Plenty of tarns with good water, one particularly nice one with lots of pencil pines would be an ideal base camp.
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MJD » Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:32 am

Good topic Stu and good info everyone else. I was interested in going to Leonard's Tarn in February so this has given me something to think about.

In regards to Pelion West you can certainly get up/down at the "other end".

Cheers
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby PeterJ » Fri 30 Jan, 2009 9:30 pm

Hello Stu
First off what does "beta" stand for?

I looked up my notes and discovered it was April 1993 when I did the circuit. It has been on my mind to repeat it, and looking back on my records has encouraged me to bring it a bit higher up the list. back then i took slides and managed to get some really moody morning shots through the mist, so i shall have to scan a few soon.

Anyway here is my summary of the walk

Great trip with dreamy weather.
Friday 9 April Good weather fine and sunny for walk in, crossing new bridge at Wurragarra Creek, to
camp at Frog Flats. Fine cold night.
10 April Glorious day with morning mist in valleys
11 April Fine sunny day but clouded towards evening
12 April Monday Cloudy early but beautiful afternoon.
13 April Rain started about 4-5 am but was fine and sunny by mid morning.

And below a few comments
This was a lovely walk, we went along under Pelion West on the southern slope which was a very nice
way and avoids going over the big boulders with a full pack. Once around you are on a lovely ridge with
a tarn and a good camp with the Pelion West summit close at hand and an easier ascent than from the
eastern front. The next day we went to Perrins and also to the top of Achilles before setting up camp at
Leonards Tarn. It was nice camping there actually and I don't think we had to hunt about for a spot. Can
confirm that Tastrekker is correct in saying there is a lot coral fern.
Ascent of Thetis was easier than it looked but from the summit there is a good way and a not so good
way to leave (avoid dropping into the little valley too early). Bit of a scramble down to the Paddys nut
saddle then just gorgeous from there to the overland track. We found a superb camp spot on the way
at a spot on the big plateau. In fact we had time to get to Pelion easily but opted to stay in this spot for
the night. I have been back there many a time since

Anyway let me know if you would like more information.

Cheers
Peter
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby climberman » Sat 31 Jan, 2009 5:38 am

PeterJ - beta.... contraction of betamax, means giving advice or information. From climbing, mainly sportclimbing in the US, mid 80's, before the VHS world domination era !. ie, watch something on video, then get information... then grew to telling someone either the moves, or the gear, or both, on a climb. And has spread from there.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stu » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks for the notes (beta) Peter, sounds like you had a good trip in there with great weather; fingers crossed for the same at Easter.
I'd love to see some of you scanned slides as I'm sure others interested would too!

Thanks for the clarification on 'beta' (pronounced 'bay-ta', or at least in my circles) climberman, it's a bit of a hang over from my climbing days.
Basically as he said it's just another word for route info / advice / notes etc.

Cheers.

Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PeterJ » Sun 08 Feb, 2009 8:21 pm

I have scanned my slides from the Pelion circuit walk from April 1993 and you can click the link to view them

Pelion circuit photo album

Here are a couple

9140 Pelion Mist.jpg
Morning mist Pelion West

9144 Mist in valleys.jpg
Mist in valleys
9144 Mist in valleys.jpg (254.25 KiB) Viewed 9271 times
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stu » Mon 09 Feb, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks for the inspirational pics Peter, more beautiful than I had imagined.
I am now very much looking forward to our Easter trip out there.
Hope we get as pleasant conditions as your group had :D
Cheers again.

Stuart.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 09 Feb, 2009 4:13 pm

The Pelion Range is a very fine area. I have gone up the Thetis track a few times and it is nice camping at the top of it in fine weather (water in small tarns nearby). There were also very sheltered "cut out" campsites in the pine forest closer to Paddy's Nuts.

On one trip - we stayed in the valley near the old New Pelion Hut - and started early (6ish) - walked to Frog Flats and then up Pelion West, and then traversed to Archilles. Once up on Pelion West 0 this was actually quite easy. It was easy to descend from Pelion West's summit (the ridge is close) - and then the ridge was pretty open and fast walking. I can recall some scrub on the descent to Leonards Tarn - but not too bad. At the tarn were some "cut out" campsites in a patch of scrub. Then it was steep climb up onto Thetis - through dolerite boulders. Then we descended via the Thetis track. I think we got back around 6pm

You can continue onto Ossa - it is reasonable going - slightly below the skyline on the southern side (right side as you approach Ossa) - traversing on boulders. You can go via the skyline - but this involves a lot more scrambling and would best be done with only a day pack.

I have never been to Perrins Bluff - but it looks a fine peak. I am told there is good camping at one of the lakes below the summit.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania