The Mersey Circuit

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The Mersey Circuit

Postby corvus » Mon 26 Jan, 2009 7:42 pm

I recently did this with three mates after convincing them that it was "easy" selective memory is a wonderful thing .
We drove up the Mersey Forest Road leaving one vehicle at the start of the Lees Paddocks Track and proceed to the Moses Creek Track which was as I remembered from my last visit 14 years ago ,the updated registration booth and major regrowth threw me however the new suspension bridge is a definite plus to the slippery log.
We experienced 7 hours of Rain ,Hail ,Sleet , Snow and a wee bit of Sun for the rest of the trip which takes in some interesting sections (selective memory forgot them) and arrived at Junction Lake Hut thankful that it was empty as the temperature had dropped to 4 degrees,a nice fire and some medicinal liquids restored us and other than the usual nocturnal visitors we spent a nice cosy night.
Day two we were blessed by warm sun which dried out our gear ready for the Never Never,this was where my memory worked and after crossing the creek I remembered to head down to the edge of the Lake for easy walking to pick up the start of the track which despite comments elsewhere is not really difficult to follow to the King Billy Tree crossing ,
from here the track does tend to become vague in places but bearing in mind that it does follow the Mersey we had no real problems exiting on the Hartnett Falls track then up to camp at Du Cane.
Day three a 40 min stroll to the start of "Hartnett's track" back down to the Mersey ,this track is in places more difficult to follow than the Never Never and unless you are experienced not recommended and in fact we ended up following a different pad (pink tape)to the one I was familiar with(last year) taking us to better crossing of Pinestone Creek which was up due to snow melt. An exciting if uneventful stroll took us to the Paradise that surrounds Wadleys Hut for another overnight camp where we had a QUICK swim in the Mersey and took advantage of being able to have a nice campfire and Billy tea.
Day four out through The Paddocks via Ladder Falls ,Lees Hut for lunch and home ,overall a really good walk and we now have all of the tip recorded with way points so it will be less time consuming next time :)
P.S. stHuges has posted pics in the Gallery under Junction Never Never etc.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: The Mersey Circuit

Postby geoskid » Mon 26 Jan, 2009 8:27 pm

Hey Corvus,
Sounds like you had a great trip! At least the memory came good when you needed it most, - and all the other times must have felt like a new adventure - bonus! Junction Hut and Wadleys Hut nights sound like pure bliss - I bet you are hoping that Sthughes does'nt have any photos of your QUICK swim in the Mersey! Good on you guys!
Cheers, Geoskid
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: The Mersey Circuit

Postby corvus » Mon 26 Jan, 2009 9:36 pm

Having experienced a QUICK swim in the Mersey on previous occasions I elected for the face flannel wash as I could still hear my scream from 4 years ago resounding through the valley :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Return to Tasmania