Tasman Peninsula - suitable o'night walk with kids??

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tasman Peninsula - suitable o'night walk with kids??

Postby ssloane » Mon 26 Jan, 2009 4:54 pm

We've got pretty robust kids, but they are only 4, 7 and 9. The older 2 have done one overnight walk with packs before. We'd like to take all 3 of them on a walk this Easter, preferably in the Tasman Peninsula area. Can anyone recommend? Criteria are:

- one night camping only (we poor parents have to carry the food for everyone, and we can only manage one night and 2 days rations)
- some hills ok, but not extreme climbing - in fact in Tassie terms we're probably talking "flat"

Wondering if there is a suitable circuit that we could do that is part of the Tasman Coastal Trail, or an in-and-out walk. Kids can probably do only about 12km each day with packs. If not part of the Tasman Coastal trail, is there something else in that general area?

Thanks for any ideas.
ssloane
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Tasman Peninsula - suitable o'night walk with kids??

Postby Clownfish » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 9:31 am

I got some good suggestions in my earlier thread on flat walks in Tasmania: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1673.

Most of them are day walks, but there are a couple you could string out longer, perhaps. Lee's Paddocks might be a good one - it's pretty much exactly 12km (maybe a little over), but reasonably easy going, with lots of good camping at the end, if the hut's occupied. Great swimming opportunities, too, which the kids will love. We did it last summer, with my boys who were 10 and 12 at the time.
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tasman Peninsula - suitable o'night walk with kids??

Postby flyfisher » Tue 27 Jan, 2009 8:53 pm

There is a small book called "peninsular tracks" by Peter and Shirley Storey which lists 35 walks in and around Tasman National Park. (paid $16.95)
This book details walking time, access routes, grading, etc.so should give you a few options. :D

Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania