Lake Judd

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Judd

Postby iandsmith » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 12:08 pm

I was curious as to how long it would take to get into Lake Judd and back from the road. Could someone help me there.
Also, I noticed a smaller version of it, I think at Mount Sarah Jane. Has anyone been in there?
Cheers, Ian Smith
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Lake Judd

Postby dplanet » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 5:16 pm

I believe that it can be walked in and out from the road in a day; but, it is worth to stay out a night at Lake Judd (watch out for leeches). A few of us were stuck there another night due to weather condition. It rained and rained.. Also due to strong winds, we missed the Notch and so Mt Sarah Jane. However, we were rewarded with a perfect day of sunny and blue skies on the day we climbed Mt Eliza and Mt Anne. Cheers Dzung Nguyen :lol:
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Lake Judd

Postby Pedro » Sat 24 Jan, 2009 2:06 pm

You might be thinking of the delightful little glacial lake on the north side of Sarah Jane. Excellent camping spot, close to Angel Falls and with a fascinating section of ridge immediately above it (part of Lightning Ridge, I suppose). Behind the Lake is a huge hanging wall of Dolerite extending off Sarah Jane - the rock beneath the Dolerite has eroded faster and left the wall partially suspended - stunning.

Sarah Jane and the Hanging Wall.jpg
Mount Sarah Jane and the Hanging Wall

I haven't seen a name for the lake on any map - anyone else know what it is called?

By the way, this isn't a day walk. Its quite a slog up to Sarah Jane and most people would need to stay the night - you can do it if you base yourself at Judd.
Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania