Flat walks in Tasmania?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Flat walks in Tasmania?

Postby Clownfish » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 8:44 am

My family and I love bushwalking, but my wife's main complaint since we moved to Tassie has been "are there any walks here that don't involve climbing??"

I don't mind the challenge myself, and our kids have the usual quota of youthful energy, but the missus and I aren't the fittest people on Earth, so I can see her point. Maybe if we could find her something a little less ... challenging ... to ease in with?

The thing is, as I pointed out, when you live on one of the most mountainous islands in the world, well, you can't go far without having to climb something! And it is always worth the feeling of triumph when you stand on another peak and survey your kingdom!

So, does anyone know of any flattish walks - particularly in the north of the state?

For example, my wife particularly liked Liffey Falls (a nice stroll, really, not a walk :wink: ) and Lee's Paddocks.
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Flat walks in Tasmania?

Postby sthughes » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 9:43 am

There's a couple up at Cradle I can think of. The Dove Lake circut obviously and the walk from the info centre through to Ronnies Creek is fairly flat and scenic. Some quite short ones like the Leven Canyon and Alum Cliffs are pretty cool for the effort required. Near you I believe you can do Dry's Bluff from the top of the Poatina Road (rather than the usual walk from the bottom), I haven't done this but it's supposed to have speccy views if you can.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 9:46 am

I'm assuming that you're looking for day trips. These are not all perfectly flat, but have no difficult climbs; some are really short. Some of these you might have already done, but here are a few I can think of at the moment:

Dove Lake Circuit

Cradle Valley Boardwalk. Start from the top, go downhill and get the bus back.

The forest walk around Waldheim.

You can kinda make up a flattish circuit between Dove Lake and Ronny Creek.

Kelly Basin/East Pillinger track on the west coast. IMHO one of the best "flat walks". Similar distance and difficulty to Lees Paddocks. 4WD needed to access the start though.

Montezuma Falls. Another really good one.

Copper Cove walk at Narawntapu. You could skip the side trip up to the lookout if desired. Walk back along Bakers Beach.

Lobster Falls between Deloraine and Chudleigh. It's only got a short steep bit down to the falls.

Alum Cliffs In the same area

Tamar Island wetlands

Cataract Gorge to Duck Reach. Can be extended to a circuit taking in Trevallyn Dam. I don't recall any serious hills.

Pine Lake (short, short)

Along the Don River in Devonport (where the railway goes).

Also around the headland in Devonport. There's a short circuit there starting from the Aboriginal/cultural centre.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby walkinTas » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 2:16 pm

I haven't walked it myself, but I believe it is fairly flat along the Blue Peaks track for Lake McKenzie to Blue Peaks. You would have to head uphill if you wanted to climb the Peak, but if you just walk to the lakes you should be right.

The track into Rinadena Falls is fairly flat too. The climbing really doesn't start until after the falls.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 2:56 pm

walkinTas wrote:I haven't walked it myself, but I believe it is fairly flat along the Blue Peaks track for Lake McKenzie to Blue Peaks. You would have to head uphill if you wanted to climb the Peak, but if you just walk to the lakes you should be right.

Yes, the Blue Peaks track is certainly flatter then most (just a little uphill, and not too steep in a couple of spots). However, this is a very easy track to get lost on. Not only is the track not well defined, but there are no significant land marks by which to get your bearings, for most of the way. This would be an overnighter (for most people) by the way.

Most of the tracks on the Central Plateau require a long steep section to get up onto the plateau itself, however the road into Lake McKenzie is one way to get up on top by car (are there any others?). Another track that starts at Lake McKenzie is the explorer creek track. Only one significant uphill section, but it's not terribly steep, and isn't terribly long. However, this track requires that Lake McKenzie be not full, and that the Fisher river be not flowing too much. Again, this is best as an overnighter (depending on where you're actually heading to).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Clownfish » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks for all these suggestions, we might try and fit one in this long weekend (assuming I can finish trimming the damn macrocarpa hedge, grumble, grumble) ...

We've done some of them:
Dove Lake Circuit, part of Nawrantapu at Baker's Beach, Alum Cliffs, Tamar Island wetlands, Cataract Gorge to Duck Reach and Pine Lake.

Some of the others sound like very pleasant strolls, though!
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 9:16 pm

There are some nice walks to lakes etc. starting from Lake Augusta and Lake Ada.
Starting from Lake Ada carpark there is an interesting track which goes as far as you have time to go.
It will take you to Talleh Lagoons and Lake Fanny, or even to Lake Antimony and the Pine River valley.
A lot of people use this access for trips to the WOJ, or Chinamans Plains etc.
This area is fairly flat with easy walking and many camping opportunities.
It is however subject to some bad weather so map and compass or GPS are essential along with other safety requirements, raincoats etc.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Chris » Fri 23 Jan, 2009 10:04 pm

The Blue Tier (inland from St Helens) is a favourite area of ours. Lots of not too challenging walks, ranging from a short wheel-chair accessible track through the "Goblin Forest" to several 2 hour walks though varied surroundings and a few ones. They start from Poimena, which used to be a big tin-mining town but which is now being reclaimed by the rain-forest.

Maps and lots of info available from St Helens History Centre and http://www.bluetier.org/tourism.htm.

A few years ago we were there either New Year or Aust Day LWE and found an incredible display of Stylidium (native trigger plant) which covered several acres. Will scan photo and text from Aust Geographic some time and post. Have also seen wonderful displays of waratah pre-Christmas.

Two cautions though:
Logging in that area has ruined some of the vistas, but believe it's still well worth going.
It's an old tin mining area, so there are some deep holes; would need to be cautious with young children.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GerryDuke » Sat 24 Jan, 2009 1:17 am

One of the great 'flat' walks is Lee's Paddocks. With plenty of rain about Oxley Falls should be nice. A little over an hour to the falls.

http://www.touringtasmania.info/lee%27s_paddocks.htm

Gerry
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site

Postby johnw » Sat 24 Jan, 2009 7:03 pm

GerryDuke wrote:With plenty of rain about Oxley Falls should be nice.

Thunderous in my experience. Have arrived there on return from Lees Hut during/after quite heavy rain. Spectacular sight (and sound).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 28 Jan, 2009 12:01 pm

Another resource worth checking out for flat walks is the Railtrails website:

http://www.railtrails.org.au/dev/states ... cat&cat=12

By definition most rail trails should be reasonably flat. A couple of those that they list for Tasmania have been included in walks already mentioned. Some of the trails allow vehicles and/or might be a bit too urban to be called bushwalks though.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mjdalessa » Wed 18 Feb, 2009 4:04 pm

Maybe the Track from Tasman Arch Area to Fortescue Bay?
This is a nice Easy Walk. You don't even have to do the whole thing.
Many just do sections.
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Tasmania