Western Arthur Traverse Feb/March 2008

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western Arthur Traverse Feb/March 2008

Postby Lynda Moir » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 5:22 pm

I have read all the posts on the Wester Arthur Traverse in winter and have decided I definitely don't want to do that!

However, Russell and I are planning to visit Tasmania sometime Feb/March 2008 and would like to attempt the traverse. We have completed the Overland Track and the South Coast Track previously. We are training hard and have good four seasons gear.

We would really appreciate any tips with regard to 'pacing' of the walk to get the most out of the experience. We have plenty of time - just limited by what we can carry! Also would like to know about water availability and how much to carry each day at that time of the year. Also information on pack hauling and the use of ropes - which areas? Our tent is a small alpine tent for two and we wondered if there are places where we could erect a fly shelter to give added protection?

We have track notes and are planning on getting the updated notes as soon as they are available.
Lynda
Lynda Moir
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 7:35 pm

Do you have John Chapman's book on the South West? It's track notes on the Western Arthurs are very good in terms of pacing. I find that I walk somewhat slower than his notes on the first day or two (heavy pack and lack of fitness), and about the same towards the end (or even faster at the end of a very long walk).

Check the post here for how he defines the walking times in his track notes (the second paragraph for the times in his SW book).

There are some sections where there is no water for half a day, or even more, at a time. Well... not quite true: There's water everywhere, but not a drop to drink! Very frustrating. On my first trip into the Arthurs, we carried 2 litres of water each on most days, as it was quite hot and sunny most days. Even then we ran out on some days and ended up sucking moss, and even drinking out of footprints on the track (using a yabbie straw) when we got really hot and thirsty. Of course, drinking out of the yabbie holes is always good if you're all out of water, but there are some areas where there are no yabbie holes to be seen.

We pack hauled just once on the Western Arthurs, the first time (and once again on my last trip, but in a different spot). Which goes to show that we didn't really need to pack haul in either spot. But is sure is easier to pack haul in one or two spots. I carried a rope of... I think 10 or 15 metres... not sure. About 5 or 10mm diameter... again, not sure exactly. It's up in the shed somewhere.

What sort of fly shelter do you mean? A small tarp over a tight rope? I've never tried that, but wouldn't want to risk it in a wind-prone area.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Thu 04 Oct, 2007 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Western Arthurs

Postby norts » Thu 04 Oct, 2007 8:07 am

I did it 2 years ago and will be doing it again in Jan Feb 08.
In regard to times while on the Range itself we doubled Chapmans fastest time and that gave us a fair estimate of the amount of time on the track, not just walking time.
There are a few areas where erosion is making it difficult to climb up and down.
We did not use our rope but my walking partner reckons we wont be so gunho this time.

We only made it toMoraine K , hopefully we will go all the way this time. Had a problem with a walker we met and had to stay with him last time.
As an aside met a bloke who was in his mid 70's with his young mate(in his 60's) up there. They were spending 28 days up there. The young fella was shoot down the moraines and pick up food drops they had left along the Arthur Plains. They were not that much slower than us.
All the normal sites have platforms. Most are discreetly placed amongst the bush so you may be able to sling a tarp. High Moor isn't though. When I was there the wind would have blown a tarp away. 36 hours in a microlight seems like forever.

We carried approx 1 litre per day but we did not have any really hot days.

Only campsite that may be dodgy for water could be High Moor. Don't know how reliable the water is there . Was more than enough when I was there. Just put my bowl outside the tent.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lynda Moir » Thu 04 Oct, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks Nik and Roger - all really helpful info.
Lynda
Lynda Moir
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Western Arthurs

Postby tasadam » Fri 05 Oct, 2007 8:28 am

norts wrote:Was more than enough when I was there. Just put my bowl outside the tent.
Ah, Tassie... Gotta love it!

I'm afraid I won't be much help. Early start at Scotts Peak after a visit to the luxurious pit toilet, having slept in the back of the car, then a very long day to L.Cygnus (as mentioned elsewhere, also in September so days were shorter). A day kicking about there and on a bit, in the not-so-kindest weather (snow & wind), then pack up & head down to the makeshift camp at the bottom of Moraine A for 2nd night, then out on 3rd day.
Things I know about this walk - first few K's are easy, boarded, good warmup. Further on - when you come to creeks that need crossing between the carpark and Junction Creek, just plough straight thru as if they don't exist. Creeks further on were a bit deeper and there were ways across. Crossing Junction Creek consists of stairs either side of a creek about 5 metres wide (don't quote me on that), and when we were there it was about 30cm deep. It's also a scrub-down zone for Phytophthora fungus.
Our trip in was slow as we were using the logs etc that people had thrown in the mud. On the way out, straight thru! No drama, one foot (leg) went quite deep at one stage but it was soft so easy to continue.
It seems to take forever going up Moraine A with a heavy pack. After the SouthWest (Port Davey) junction and just before the start of the climb (at the makeshift camp not recommended), to the left in the bushes is a creek with good water. Then none til L.Cygnus. Unless it rains, of course.
The ranger at Mt Field is the one to talk to regarding this walk, I have always found them good to talk to and full of advice, also they have always been appreciative of feedback on the walk - things you have found / noticed.
We are training hard and have good four seasons gear.
Sounds like you've got the right idea.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Tasmania