History in the Walls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

History in the Walls

Postby Josef » Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:43 pm

Any one know any interesting /obscure history from the walls of J / central plateau areas?
Loved reading about Boy Miles at Lake Ball. Have there been any good books written about the area?
Joe.
Josef
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: History in the Walls

Postby prankphonecall » Sat 17 Jan, 2009 8:22 am

prankphonecall
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tas-man » Sat 17 Jan, 2009 10:22 am

There was a historical movie shot partially in the Walls in the 1980's which used Dixon's Kingdom Hut as one of the locations. It's title is "The Tale Of Ruby Rose" directed by Roger Scholes, and there used to one copy of the DVD in the Tas State Library system when I last checked. Here are some links to info about it. Its worth seeing for the magnificent footage of the Walls of Jerusalem in winter. Very moody and atmospheric.
WildernessRubyrosePoster.jpg
WildernessRubyrosePoster.jpg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 7236 times

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Ruby_Rose
http://www.our-camping-site.com/wilderness-advisor.html
http://www.utas.edu.au/library/companio ... /Films.htm
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review? ... A96E948260
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 17 Jan, 2009 2:20 pm

tas-man wrote:There was a historical movie shot partially in the Walls in the 1980's which used Dixon's Kingdom Hut as one of the locations. It's title is "The Tale Of Ruby Rose" directed by Roger Scholes, and there used to one copy of the DVD in the Tas State Library system when I last checked. Here are some links to info about it. Its worth seeing for the magnificent footage of the Walls of Jerusalem in winter. Very moody and atmospheric.

It was an odd story, but fantastic shots of the Walls in the snow. They actually added a large new section onto the hut for the movie, and were supposed to have restored the hut to it's original state when they finished making the movie. But it was left with the extra large room on it for several years. I don't know who it was who eventually removed the extension and restored the hut back to the small low log cabin. Probably PWS, or huts preservation society?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby gorby » Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:52 pm

some books that I can recommend of the high country,

A High Country Heritage by Simon Cubit and Des Murray (scetches and stories of huts)
Snarers and Cattlemen of the Mersey High Country by simon Cubit
The Blazed Track by Sydney(Bill ) James
Identities and History of Tasmanias High Country by Ned Terry
Pioneers and their memories of Tasmanias High Country by ned Terry
gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Josef » Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:03 pm

Thats great, will try to chase up some of those books on ABE.
Would love also to see the Tale of Ruby Rose for the winter views. The shot with the chopper is pretty anazing.
Cheers, Joe.
Josef
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Mon 19 Jan, 2009 9:43 am

I'd read about the Tale Of Ruby Rose previously and have been trying to find out where I can buy a copy. Does anyone know if it's still available commercialy anywhere?

Josef wrote:Loved reading about Boy Miles at Lake Ball.

Agree. We stayed in a night in the hut, so I had plenty of time to read it. Interesting and moving story.

gorby wrote:some books that I can recommend of the high country,

A High Country Heritage by Simon Cubit and Des Murray (scetches and stories of huts)
Snarers and Cattlemen of the Mersey High Country by simon Cubit
The Blazed Track by Sydney(Bill ) James
Identities and History of Tasmanias High Country by Ned Terry
Pioneers and their memories of Tasmanias High Country by ned Terry

Thanks for those recommendations Gorby :). Just before Christmas I bought a copy of Snarers and Cattlemen of the Mersey High Country (Lees of Lees Paddocks). Of all the obscure places, I found it at a book sale while driving home from a day bushwalk in the Blue Mountains. They had 2 copies. I was thinking of taking it to WoJ as tent reading but instead took The Tasmanian Traveller, A Nineteenth Century Companion For Modern Travellers by Hilary Webster. I found that in the interesting old wares shop in Sheffield last May. I'm still reading it but no specific WoJ references so far. It does have a Central Highlands section that I've just started; and already read some fascinating chapters relevant to other Tasmanian bushwalking locations.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tas-man » Mon 19 Jan, 2009 2:23 pm

It doesn't look like "The Tale of Ruby Rose" is currently available in any format. A quick Google found one original VHS tape copy in Perth -
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/THE-TALE-OF-RUBY ... 240%3A1318
and another VHS PAL tape in Arizona.
http://www.alibris.com/moviesearch?qwor ... ng*buyused

The Tasmanian State Library has only one copy and it appears to be a burnt copy with a poor quality photocopy cover with no details about the DVD production. Screensound Australia has occasionally presented this film in its traveling film festivals.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pedro » Sat 24 Jan, 2009 4:53 pm

Dixon's Kingdom has certainly evolved over the years. I've just been looking back over a few pics.

Here a few iterations of the wonderful old hut:

Summer 1970

Winter 1970

1994 with the Ruby Rose Additions

Pedro
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johnw » Tue 17 Mar, 2009 8:43 pm

tas-man wrote:It doesn't look like "The Tale of Ruby Rose" is currently available in any format. A quick Google found one original VHS tape copy in Perth -
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/THE-TALE-OF-RUBY ... 240%3A1318
and another VHS PAL tape in Arizona.
http://www.alibris.com/moviesearch?qwor ... ng*buyused

The Tasmanian State Library has only one copy and it appears to be a burnt copy with a poor quality photocopy cover with no details about the DVD production. Screensound Australia has occasionally presented this film in its traveling film festivals.

Tas-man,
Recently I managed to contact Roger Scholes (writer/director of The Tale of Ruby Rose). He was kind enough to send me a copy at a nominal cost, which I think he did as a favour rather than for commercial reasons. He also advised me to look out for a digitally re-mastered/restored edition of the movie, which he expects to be released on DVD and in cinemas in the near future.

Anyway I have now watched it and enjoyed it probably more than I expected. It is an unusual story but I didn't have any trouble keeping track of it and "got the message". I think you really need to watch from start to finish uninterrupted though. Scenery was terrific including plenty of snow and some really bleak looking weather (which I thought suited the hardship theme of the movie) and was a reminder of my own recent visit to the area. One slightly odd thing I noticed was that footage of Cradle Mountain somehow snuck in when Ruby was supposed to be walking from the Walls down to Bothwell.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby spider » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 12:15 am

I have recently met and older fellow who used to live in the Bronte Park Hydro village when he was a youngster. He showed me a written account of walk he and a friend did from this area into Dixon's Kingdom. I assume they made this walk in the early 1950s. Near Lake Ball they met a couple of well known local bushies who had a dig at them about using tents. Apparently they were told that real bushmen didn't need them! The boys were vindicated when their elders sought shelter in the late hours of what became a rainy night!

The same fellow also gave me a disc with some photos of a crossing he did with three friends from the Walls to Lake St Clair by folding canoe. This was made in 1973. They would walk with their canoes on their backs until they came across a lake large enough to warrant unpacking their vessels. From memory it took them about four days. I guess it would have been quicker to walk the whole way but not nearly as interesting.
spider
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania