Turrana Bluff and Rinadeena Falls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Turrana Bluff and Rinadeena Falls

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 14 Jan, 2009 4:57 pm

As described by Bill Wilkinson in his Abels book, this sounds a delightful walk and I found it to be so. The drive in is long and very rough, at least in my old car. It can also be fairly exciting at speed as you slide round the corners. It was longer than I expected too, so considering that I was already running late, I only started walking a bit before midday. I didn't think that would be a problem given the estimate of 2 1/2 hours to the summit.

The walk starts off in a very civilised manner, not going straight up as so many of our walks do, but climbing fairly gently with easy walking on an old 4WD track, then through open myrtle forest with the creek rushing alongside. The first sight of Rinadeena Falls after a little under an hour's walking was magical, these falls are some of the prettier ones I've seen. The track got steeper after the falls, going up through some small cliffs where some helpful person has put in a couple of ropes, then through dryer forest before coming out on to a wet plain with tarns and a creek running through it, and great views of the Turrana Bluff cliffs. I stopped for lunch near where the track crossed the creek part way up the saddle between Turrana Bluff and Mersey Crag where there was a lovely view back over the wet plain. Up until now it had been easy,if hot, walking.

Turning off the track, I tried to follow a pad and cairns up to the plateau above, but they were not distinct enough to keep to the trail, so I ended up pushing through the scrub to climb up. On top was a wonderland of flowering scoparia of all colours, tarns, rocky outcrops, and lots of other flowers, set against views of mountains near and far. I made my way to one of the bigger tarns overlooked by some pencil pines, for a (quick) swim and a cup of tea made on my wonderful little Kovea stove. By this time it was nearing 4pm so I packed up and headed for what I hoped was the summit. Needless to say it wasn't although it did have some great views back across to Mersey Crag.

Eventually I reached what appeared to be the highest point, only to see the cairn on the next outcrop over. The exposure in this area is quite high - the cliffs drop off the back of the outcrops, and even to get from my high point to the summit cairn required some careful scrambling down into a gully and back up the outcrop with the cairn. Heights don't bother me generally, but this was high and open enough to put the wind up me a bit. It didn't help that I realised that I now had a little over 3 hours to get back to where I could contact my husband so he didn't panic which was about 40 minutes driving from where the car was parked, and that I was probably a bit dehydrated.

The views were fantastic though - out across the land of a thousand lakes with its, well, thousand lakes, pencil pines and multicoloured scoparia, past Mersey Crag and Clumner Bluff towards the Cradle/Lake St Clair mountains, and up to what I think was Mt Roland. After taking lots of photos I started hastily making my way back but it was all so beautiful that I had to take some more photos. Seems to me that taking a camera means you need to add an hour or two onto a trip! It was generally fairly open going with some thigh high scrub to push through at times, and I made good time back to where I had come up from the saddle. Here I once again picked up a cairn or two, but ended up just pushing through the scrub to get back to the track as the cairns seemed to lead me astray.

Heading down from the saddle to the plain I saw my only snake for the day, or rather I saw its tail as it retreated. I had expected to see lots of them. I pushed on as fast as I could, stopping only for a break at Rinadeena Falls where I had a chat to a couple of blokes camped there. It was a shame to have to rush because the track is really a pleasure to walk on, but I needed to make up for lost time and it only took me a bit over half the time to get back to the car as it had taken me to get to the summit (nearly 5 hours). I finally managed to get a message to my husband half an hour after I said I would, when he was starting to work out strategies for coming and looking for me.

This really is a lovely walk through the forest and up between the cliffs, and the acres of flowering scoparia was an enchanting bonus. I was hoping to get up Mersey Crag as well, but underestimated the difficulty and time it took from the saddle to Turrana Bluff, so I will have to go back.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Turrana Bluff and Rinadeena Falls

Postby walkinTas » Wed 14 Jan, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks for that report Annie. You are right about the drive in, it took a long while at 40km in my old car. I didn't go up to the saddle like you did, only as far a Rinadena Falls. Now I am so jealous. I too must go back some time. This is a magical spot and well worth the effort for anyone looking for an adventure. I am glad you got to go, and pleased you enjoyed your walk. So where are the photos?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 14 Jan, 2009 5:39 pm

walkinTas wrote: So where are the photos?

Coming! Got to sort out the better ones.
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:39 pm

You need a HPIRB- a Hubby PIRB!
the_camera_poser

Postby Taurë-rana » Thu 15 Jan, 2009 2:57 pm

:lol: Certainly!
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Chrisbulldog » Thu 15 Jan, 2009 3:53 pm

Sounds a fantastic walk Annie. As i suspected though,my level of fitness might not have been good enough for that one. You mentioned Mt Roland; ive been looking at doing that as a "starter". From what ive read in my little book of day walks , it sounds relatively easy compared to the walk you did, but provides good view etc. If you or anyone else is interested in doing that say next Tuesday 20th Jan(weather permitting) then sing out.
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania