Western Arthurs Solo?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western Arthurs Solo?

Postby Dutchy » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 6:47 pm

G'day all,
Yes, again a question about the western Arthurs. About the difficulty of the walk I've found that it really depends on who you ask. I walked up to Lake Oberon with a fairly inexperienced multi-day walker, and we were (generally) fine. The weather was pretty bad 5 out of 6 days (snow, hail, rain and lots of wind!!). Now I've decided to come back to Tassie in march to do A-K, hopefully with slightly better weather. But the problem is I haven't found anyone to go with, and need to book my flights... So, the question is, how safe is it to do this one on my own??? I'm very fit and have been carrying 9 days (stretchable to 11) of food and an EPIRB last time, and 12 meters of rope (plus all other items for 1 person). I'm often walking by myself, a pretty capable srambler, and able to do some rock climbing. I'm rather safe than sorry, so not a great (unneccecary) risk taker. Has anyone done this track solo? How was it? Or is anyone keen to join after all? (2nd week of march).
Cheers,
Dutchy
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Western Arthurs Solo?

Postby Swifty » Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi Dutchy,

There's no problem with doing a walk solo, lots of people do, as long as you are aware of and prepared to take the risks associated with walking alone. That is, getting yourself into a position where not having another person to raise the alarm or help becomes a problem. I imagine there will still be a few people doing the traverse at that time of year, so you might not be totally alone. You can also ease the risks by leaving a detailed trip plan with someone who cares, and these days by carrying an epirb in case things really come unstuck. Make sure the epirb is always on your person and not in your pack, you might need it QUICK!! If you wanted to be even more careful, you could always take a satphone (not sure what mobile coverage is like?) and put in a sched call to someone who cares at the end of each day. If you don't call in, they raise the alarm. And become good at setting up your tent by yourself in a gale. Entirely up to you. Good Luck!!
Swifty
Ossua vetera
Swifty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby olblackbilly » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 9:13 am

Gday Dutchy, If your going to have a go at the western arthurs solo your far better off doing it in winter, probably about August as there are too many people in march . Take at least 12 days of food with you plus emergency rations.
olblackbilly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby eggs » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 9:25 am

Telstra Next G mobile coverage on the Western Arthurs was not bad.

You do need to be in a location with a clear view to the North East, but we had reception on Mt Hesperus, above Lake Cygnus and also in the low saddle between Orion and Pegasus. I believe that coverage on the tops goes down the range at least to Scorpio.
Of course that means that you have to call from the mountain or ridge tops.
With a group of 4, that was acceptable to us - as someone could always get to a point where a call could be made.

Going solo makes that option a bit more risky,

Brian
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 10:32 am

olblackbilly wrote:Gday Dutchy, If your going to have a go at the western arthurs solo your far better off doing it in winter, probably about August as there are too many people in march . Take at least 12 days of food with you plus emergency rations.

Keeping in mind that you should be experienced in (or at least prepared for) Tasmanian mountain-top winter weather before doing a Tasmanian mountain traverse in winter. In particular, one which many people rate as difficult even in good weather.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby olblackbilly » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 10:49 am

Gday again, I certainly would 'nt rely on any mobile phone coverage , its ridiculous to even think about taking a mobile phone with you, an epirb yes, I live in the Huon valley , the mobile phone coverage round here is pathetic , basically non existant.Good point Son of a Beach, don't attempt the western arthurs unless you are a very experienced and capabule bushwalker, even in summer you can experience blizzard conditions,make sure you have a good tent and sleeping bag
olblackbilly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby SueOfTheSouth » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 4:39 pm

PeterJ went to the Western Arthurs on Monday 16th Feb with a great forecast and a party of 4. He has sent a text message via Telstra Next G each day. Tues- top of Moraine A; Wed- Mt. Hayes & Mt. Orion; Thurs- Pegasus & Columbia; and today Taurus. It is great to be able to follow his progress and pleased they have had perfect weather so far, it is 20 years since he last walked through. They also hired an Epirb for safety reasons. I am sure he will be putting a note with photos on his return.
SueOfTheSouth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby olblackbilly » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 4:59 pm

my main point was dont rely on your phone coverage when you are in a valley or a ravine with your leg pinned under a big rock, we used to use cameras, nothing like a good slide show when you've got your film developed,bit of a party and reminise about the trip
olblackbilly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby farefam » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 6:50 pm

I've walked the Arthurs solo a number of times (including winter) but haven't done so now for at least 10 years. Even if there is no snow, in winter parts of the track can get very icy and slippery (eg near Square Lake), so you need to really watch where you are stepping. Otherwise it is safe enough if you know what you are doing.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania