Ling Roth Lakes and Mts of Jupiter

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ling Roth Lakes and Mts of Jupiter

Postby wobbly » Thu 08 Jan, 2009 12:33 pm

Has anyone walked from Chinamans plain through to Lake Artemis or Eros? If so can they comment on conditions or suggested routes between these two spots.

From the topo map and google it looks like the logical option is to drop off Chinamans plains through scrub to pass between the two most westerly of the Ling Roth Lakes. Although the "drop" looks pretty gradual and I doubt we'lll be able to see the lake or gap from above so that could be interesting. From between the 2 lakes the first option seems to be an almost straight line WNW over the highest point of the Mtns of Jupiter and a steep rocky scrubby scramble down to Artemis, though the rocky tops seem to be cut by a lot of gullies. Maybe a more southerly route avoiding the rocky tops and coming up to Lake Eros from the SE is easier going.

Any advise on routes, walking times or general conditions in this area would be greatly appreciated.

6 of us are planning to head this way on a Higgs track to Lake StClair walk in March, we've done the track past Adelaide and Meston before but would like to try something a bit different this time.

thanks
W
wobbly
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Ling Roth Lakes and Mts of Jupiter

Postby Josef » Sat 10 Jan, 2009 12:00 pm

Gday Wobbly,
Also doing a similar walk in Feb but starting at Lake Makenzie.
Have been through the northern parts of the walk a number of times but not the Mtns. of Jupiter or Traveller Range section befere so am interested in any further info also.
John Chapman describes the best route through the Ling Roth Lakes as "the most direct one through the scrub etween the two northern lakes and on to the Mountains of Jupiter". So.. I think your choosing the right route, though this gives no extra detail.
I have also read elsewhere that if walking from lake Artemis to ducane gap it is best to first head south and this way you avoid most of the gullys and scrub. SoI imagine walking around the south of lake Eros would be a good option.
Are You coming down to Ducane Gap or dropping off the range somewhere else eg Stony creek?
Pretty keen for some more info on this area also.
Cheers,
Joe.
Josef
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wobbly » Sat 10 Jan, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi Joe

I'd be interested to hear how you go btn Chinamans and Lake Artemis/Eros.

Josef wrote:Gday Wobbly,
Are You coming down to Ducane Gap or dropping off the range somewhere else eg Stony creek?
Pretty keen for some more info on this area also.
Cheers,
Joe.

We are planning to pick up the track (more of a narrow and at times indistinct pad) that goes from Juntion Lake to Ducane via Artemia and Eros to Ducane Gap. We intend to take this track down to Junction lake and then attempt the Never Never, although we may change our minds re this when we eventually get there.
I have been to the Travellers Range once before before, http://geocities.com/swiftscreek/Walls.html we came up the track from Junction Lake - camped on rock on top of the mtn directly sth of Lake Merope. Walked the south and west sides of Orion lake then Nth to the saddle south of the Gatepost, after a night here we bush based straight down to the overland track. (no cliffs/bluffs in this spot). We could have made if off the range in one day but choose to spend the second night on top rather than end up camped at Windy ridge Hut or on the overland track itself. On the decent the bush was quiet managable and gravity helped. On the tops the going was pretty slow in some places, I particularly remember struggling on the SW side of Orion Lakes despite the maps showing it as clear. Still it's a magic area.

cheers
Pete
wobbly

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 22 Jan, 2009 4:03 pm

wobbly wrote:Has anyone walked from Chinamans plain through to Lake Artemis or Eros? If so can they comment on conditions or suggested routes between these two spots.

I have been through that area quite a number of times. The Chinamans Plains are truly delightful with lots of great things to discover and it is easy to vary your route each time - but try and stick to the white bits on the map. Now the white bits run out near the Ling Roth Lakes - and I have always (well 5 or 6 times I guess) gone via the thin bit of dark green between the two northernmost lakes. This is down from the hill - spot height 1167. To get there - go along the light green areas from the North East, the going is easy at first past three small lakes (that are very photogenic) and then drop down into a saddle to sidle the hill before 1167, and also sidle 1167 on the left slightly and I think it is best to drop down to the second lake a bit rather than head directly down to the connecting bit (to avoid fagus scrub). The descent is not too bad through medium scrub - scoparia and stuff. Then go to the bit between the lakes - this is thick fagus and is SLOW (but thankfully short) - watch that you dont go around in a circle! Once through the fagus - the going on the mts of Jupiter side is a lot easier - and you may even find a very faint pad (animal pad or human?) - anyway its very faint and easy to loose - but it does not matter if you loose it. You then gradually climb up onto the Mts of J (best to stay on a bit of a spur).

Once on the top - you can either go right or left. Both have their merits. Mostly I have gone right - slowly through complex country - to a small saddle above the outlet of L Artemis (this saddle offers nice camping a bit down near some tarns to the east- and great views). From the saddle just scrub bash straight down to the Artemis track (when i first went that way there was a faint pad - but on more recent trips - it has been too faint to follow). Again - i would not call it bad scrub - especially with gravity assist. From Artemis - follow the track to L Eros - and then (fainter) around the north of Eros the Merope outlet creek. From there - the track seems to end - and I have crossed the creek and climbed up through scrub onto a rocky knoll (great views) - and from there it is a lot easier (ie no scrub) all the way to the top of Du Cane Gap - but you need to pick your way around scrubby bits and lakes - but it is magical country with nice camping opportunities.

The other way - ie to go left on the Mts of Jupiter - is possibly a bit easier and nicer (and better when the fagus changes colour) - but is probably longer - timewise. It is easy going south along the open Mts of Jupiter tops -with some scrambles and carefully avoiding scrub - to descend near the south end of L Payanna. From there you can go to Du Cane gap via routes north or south of the Orion Lakes (I like to head north for better views - but you need to pick your way around fagus stands)

Not that most of this area - there are no tracks - and that is the way it should be to minimise impacts. There are so many easy routes you can take - but you need to be patient and thread your way around the scrubby parts and use the map intelligently. And - in my opinion - go in April when the fagus is changing colour.

I have been wanting to cross to the Mts of J via routes further south such as near Lake Norman - does anybody know how scrubby that country is nearby?

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania