stove choice 4 Western Arthurs

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

stove choice 4 Western Arthurs

Postby TheSeeker » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 2:51 pm

I was thinking of taking my old msr xgk, with a 600 ml bottle, versus my 2 little gas stoves, screw on cartride type.

as far as carying it on the plane to Tassie from OZ, i know you have to clean out the fuel bottle and stove, and possible ? notify them of intention to carry on board,an then bring back home.

Do you have to do the same with a gas stove?

I don't have a trangia and do no want to buy one for this trip, not that I have anything against them.

Have many people who have followed this proceadure, had any problems with airlines.

should i just take the gas canister type and buy cartridges in tassie, they are probably more user friendly, although a little more weight combined, & have some simmer potential, also a little easier to use in a vestibual.

I thought the xgk & 600 ml fuel bottle would be lighter and more efficient, you would then not have to carry 2 empty cartridges back.

Thoughts?

Cheers mark
TheSeeker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: stove choice 4 Western Arthurs

Postby sirius Tas » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 4:36 pm

Airline regulations definitely wont allow carrying gas cannisters...not even the smaller planes which fly people into places like Melaleuca(with passengers)....but you shouldn't have a problem getting them once here. Cheers...sirius
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Penguin » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 9:01 am

Qantas reg's state that you can carry cleaned and opened fuel bottles. But I have always been fearful of hitting some officious person at the desk and confiscating the bottles. I, too, would love to find out other peoples experiences of carrying opened and cleaned fuel bottles on domestic and international flights.

Many years ago a mate was travelling in the Middle East. On taking off two passengers lit a spirit burner and reheated their lunch. Ah times have changed.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Ciaran » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 10:17 am

In travelling to NZ on more than a half dozen times, I can vouch for virgin blue who allow cleaned and open fuel bottles and cleaned burners. In saying that I have never had any problems getting out of Australia and into NZ, but on leaving NZ I have occasionaly struck the one official who likes to make a case out of it. In the end after some debate they always seem to pass it.

Makes me wonder why they bother with the grief.
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby geoffmallo » Thu 15 Jan, 2009 7:50 pm

We've had success in transporting liquid fuel bottles. On one occasion they confiscated the bottle but it wasn't cleaned, just emptied. The check in guy smelt it and said no way. The someone recommended to use to clean it on the return trip with coke. I never did try it but made sure to leave the bottle open for a day to let all the fumes escape so there was no smell at all.
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania