Western arthur in 6/7 days

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western arthur in 6/7 days

Postby TheSeeker » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi all

We plan to do the western arthur walk in early jan, and do the smaller traverse in 6 days,with one day spare up our sleave.

Day 1 scotts peak dam to lake oberon, day six back to scotts peak dam via kappa morine, day 7 an extra day incase we need it. Obviously this is all dependent ton the weather and our group speed. We are all not unfit, with a few years of climbing and walking up our sleave, but we are not tiger walkers either, day 8 6am we must be back on the plane home.

Of late we have not done alot of bushwalking, only general fitness and medium grade day walks.

What are peoples thoughts, the book seems to give various days on and off the route, with various numbers for completion. From those who have done the walk will this be too much preasure on some. Or are we in the ball park, I think if the weather really hits the fan than we will obviously pull the plug.

Do many people still bail at epsion moraine is it quite full on as the book emplies by the suggestion of going back via alpha moraine?

cheers Mark
TheSeeker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Western arthur in 6/7 days

Postby ollster » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 3:57 pm

Six (or 7) is not unreasonable for a short traverse with few side trips, presuming you get fair weather.

Scott's Peak to Oberon in a day is a pretty big effort. That will hurt.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 29 Dec, 2008 4:09 pm

Scotts Peak to Lake Cygnus is a big day, but quite doable for fit walkers with an early start. Getting to Lake Oberon in a single day would be beyond the abilities of many walkers, I would think, and should only be attempted by very fit, experienced walkers with a very early start.

Do not underestimate Alpha Moraine. It is one huge long steep slog that you will never forget. As much as my wife enjoyed Lake Oberon (3 days to get in and 2 days to get out, the time we went with our wives), she swears that she will never climb Moraine A again, and has a hard time using its name without jets of steam shooting out of her ears.

However, 6 days is still reasonable to do the range from Alpha to Kappa, and having a spare day up your sleeve is wise. I think we took 6 days the first time I did it (Kappa to Alpha, which I think is easier and more pleasant).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby cwcom1 » Tue 30 Dec, 2008 7:35 pm

Day 1 to Oberon is massive (and you'll need to follow it up on day 2......).
Carrying your gear up Moraine A on a hot day can be an absolute killer!!!
I would aim for a very early start and night 1 at Lake Cygnus. Which then raises the question, where do you spend night 2?
Their are some exposed camp sites in the saddles along the ridge that can be used, but they are very limited.

Plan your days based on John Chapman's notes (make sure you add suitable time onto his proposed times).

If you get off to a good start and the weather holds, you should be able to do it in 7 days comfortably.

Enjoy!

Some pics of the Western Arthurs:

http://www.craigcombes.com.au
cwcom1
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby TheSeeker » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 6:36 am

Hi All

Thanks for all the replie's now i have a bit more insight into the route, and will discuss the intended times & camps etc with the other members of the party.

Mark
TheSeeker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:57 am

Im doing that exact walk starting the 8th of Jan! Will keep an eye out for you guys!! going to try to get to oberon the first day myself (weather depending)
Though driving up from judbury to town today there was a decent cover of snow on collins bonnett so im sure the peaks down there would have got a decent dump fair weather might be asking a bit much......
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 01 Jan, 2009 6:58 pm

TheSeeker wrote:Hi all

We plan to do the western arthur walk in early jan, and do the smaller traverse in 6 days,with one day spare up our sleave.

This should be quite feasible. If you start early - then Scotts Peak to Oberon (or Square Lake) on Day 1, then to Haven Lake on day 2, then down Moraine K on day 3 and along the plains to 2 Mile Ck(nice camping), Day 4 - back to SPD

But it is much better to spend more time in the range if you can - even allowing for bad weather. And an A - K traverse means you miss out on 25% of the range - a shame!

We are all not unfit, with a few years of climbing and walking up our sleave,

if you are "all not unfit" - this implies that some of the party is unfit - and remember that the party only moves as fast as its slowest members. Being climbers will certainly help with the major scrambling sections (from just before L Oberon to Haven L)

Of late we have not done alot of bushwalking, only general fitness and medium grade day walks.

a lot of overnight multi day bushwalks would certainly help your preparation. As well as the climb up Moraine A, there are lots of little climbs in the range - up and down all the time.

What are peoples thoughts, the book seems to give various days on and off the route, with various numbers for completion. From those who have done the walk will this be too much preasure on some. Or are we in the ball park, I think if the weather really hits the fan than we will obviously pull the plug.

My favourite itinerary (for an A - K traverse) would be -

Day 1 - SPD to top of Moraine A (but only camping on top if the weather is good - otherwise continue to L Cygnus)
Day 2 - a short day - to Square Lake or Oberon (or a high camp on the ridge between them) - be sure to climb Mt Sirius (best views in the range and probably best view in Tasmania)
Day 3 - also short - to High Moor - very scenic - best day of the walk
Day 4 - to Haven Lake (a short day) or slightly longer to L Cirona

then if time permits - to Promontory Lake (nice place too) - and then down K, back along plains to 2 Mile ck on day 6, walk out on day 7

Best side trips -

climb Mt Hesperus - not far off the track - great views
climb Mt Hayes - as above, leave the track close to it and clamber up from the south, then climb from the western side up the last bit
climb Mt Sirius - see above
climb eastern summit of Columba at High Moor

Do many people still bail at epsion moraine is it quite full on as the book emplies by the suggestion of going back via alpha moraine?

I think Moraine E is not recommended as a route by the National Parks. I think they would rather confine the walker impact to the hardened route. And it is certainly more scenic to return via L Cygnus and Moraine A. I have only been down E once - on an unsuccessful winter traverse - and we found it quite fast and easy - some nice views at the top, a short section of scrub, then as easy ridge with a faint track back to the shelter at Junction Ck (now removed)

By the way - do people actually use the "newer" names for the moraines? In my experience most walkers still refer to them as A,B....etc. The newer names are crazy in my opinion as there is no 1:1 relationship between the Greek alphabet and ours.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania