Walls of Jerusalem BUSY

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walls of Jerusalem BUSY

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:42 pm

We took a drive up to Lake Rowallan and beyond today for curiousity's sake. There were 20 cars at the WOJ parking lot- there was only one spot left! Must have been busy up there. (Comparatively speaking, of course)

Is there another parking lot there?
the_camera_poser

Re: Walls of Jerusalem BUSY

Postby corvus » Sat 27 Dec, 2008 10:56 pm

In reality NO
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 27 Dec, 2008 11:20 pm

wow- is it always that busy this time of year? I guess it's high season. Some of those folks are going to have a heck of a time getting out of that car park though!
the_camera_poser

Postby ClockworkLemon » Sun 28 Dec, 2008 6:09 am

the_camera_poser wrote:wow- is it always that busy this time of year?

That sounds about right, the last time I went walking up there around christmas/new years the car park was full, and people were having to park on the side of the road past the car park. Actually, come to think of it, the car park was full at easter, as well, which was the last time I was up there. It's starting to become as very popular place.
ClockworkLemon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mattanitah » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 6:14 am

I recently went up into the walls to spend a few nights on the 21st and there were 15 cars in the car park. I though it would be really busy and crowded, but I was rather surprised how well the park seemed to handle the numbers. It didn't really seem that busy at all, although after spending some time in the cradle mountain NP anything can seem not so busy...... I really lucked in on this trip though the skies were cloudless and the views from Solomons Throne and King Davids peak out towards Cradle Mountain NP were amazing I will post some pics in the near future..

Cheers
mattanitah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Clownfish » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 10:54 am

We went the day after Boxing Day '08. The car park was maybe 1/2 full, and the Wild Dog Creek campground, while reasonably full, didn't give the impression of being crowded.

Coming back a couple of days later - which happened to be the first Saturday after Christmas - we noticed heaps of people going the other way - but most of them appeared to be day walkers. When we got back, the cars were parked out on the road.

What was scary, was the bloke in the carpark, getting ready to leave at 4 in the afternoon, wearing fairly "well-dressed" shorts and sandals, asking if there was a map anywhere, and would he be right to find a hut to sleep in?
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Penguin » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 10:01 am

Was up at the Walls last weekend. About a dozen cars, mainly day trippers. Only two parties camped in the Walls, two tens at Dixon's and a five tents at Wild Dog Creek. A great weekend. About ten whip snakes, two tiger snakes, lots of tame wallabies, an echidna but no wombats seen. Hot weather with great views.

The only down side was that one of the cars in the carpark had a window broken, Vic plates. Don't know the story behind this one as no other windows were broken.

P
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby mattanitah » Mon 02 Feb, 2009 4:56 pm

Snakes are defiently no shortage in there,
I seen 5 tigers and 1 whip in one day.....
mattanitah
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby prankphonecall » Sat 07 Feb, 2009 8:09 am

We started there on the 25th and the carpark was full only 1 spot available and then one guy leaving, but as we sarted hiking we ran into many groups comming out. There would have been atleast 20 childeren up at the walls on the 24th based on what we saw. When we got to wild dog there were only 3 small groups left (all down on the bottom tier), the other 2 teirs were empty.

When we got to Dixon's the next day we met some more groups who had been camping further out in the park and one group that came in that day and were camping on Mt Jerusalem. We saw no one between dixon's and lake adelaide until we got back to trappers on the 28th and there were 3 groups doing the slog up the montain.

Despite all the cars, we rarely saw anyone and it felt like we had the park to ourselves most of the time. :)
prankphonecall
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jamest » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 7:12 pm

On a recent trip we also saw plenty of evidence of cars being broken into with glass throughout the carpark; looks like it is becoming popular with the local petty theives.
jamest
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 9:58 pm

That's such a well-known spot for theft, you think the coppers could do something about it. How easy to stake it out. Apparently it's locals, and I'm told by many many people that it's three people from Sheffield who are doing it, and everyone knows, but no one does anything about it.
the_camera_poser

Postby corvus » Wed 04 Mar, 2009 10:16 pm

t_c_p if it is so well known why not ask the question of folks in your area and get some names caus lets face it a "stake out" would be costly to undertake , so much better to get names and for the law to front the buggers.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 05 Mar, 2009 8:16 am

I don't know if the law can do anything about fronting them without proof (hence the suggestion for a stake out). However, you may be right - if the law were to 'informally' meet them and say, "we're watching you...", it may help.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Fizzygood » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 5:23 am

It seems the WALLS may be loved to death soon if nothing is done...

Went in on Tuesday and was planning 4 or 5 days but bailed after 3 due to the crowd. In the space of two days we counted over 60 people in there!! :|

One group of about 18 or so arrived late at Dixon Kingdom Hut, set up tents around the Hut and if it wasn't for my intervention were about to light a CAMP FIRE! :(

The magnificences of the WOJ is under threat from uninformed, uneducated, ignorant individuals who seem to have little or no care or understanding for where they are and how precious it is!!

Erin
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 5:31 am

Hi Fizzygood,thats a terrible story to hear. Do you know where that lot were from? Would be interesting to know.
FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Fizzygood » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 5:38 am

No mention of them in the log book plus I think they walked in via an alternative route than Trappers Hut/Wild Dog Creek... I would rather see walking in there made illegal than what is occurring at the moment!

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but there seems to be an increasing number of unprepared and inconsiderate people on our tracks... I don't know what the solution is but if Overland Track style management with fees and number limits is the answer then I have my credit card ready and the calendar out!
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crazyone » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:55 pm

all i can really add is oh dear. What a terrible shame this is happening. i think that perhaps u are right on the money about the money fizzygood. maybe the secrets finally out and we might have to move a bit further south after a quick look around the walls
crazyone
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crazyone » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:56 pm

Oh yeah, good work on the fire thing. we really dont need the ignorant and stupid torching the palce
crazyone
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby the_camera_poser » Sat 04 Apr, 2009 8:54 am

Were those 18 people a school group by any chance?
the_camera_poser

Postby samh » Sat 04 Apr, 2009 9:03 pm

I just come back from a day trip to the walls. I was surprised as I saw 2 busses at the fish river car park. We also met the school group though I think they were about 25 or so. They told us that three of their group got lost in the fog yesterday and had to be rescued by the helicopter. When we came back we checked the Log-book and figured that just today 32 people had signed in. I hope they are all well prepared and will make it back as there I heard in the weather forecast about some possible snowfall above 600m
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nick S » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 10:15 pm

Last few times I've been into the WOJ was in winter/late autumn, and I didn't see many people then. Think I will keep it that way.. Same with the OT really. If you have the gear/exp then I'd save it for the colder seasons. Or go to even lesser known places..

Gee thats a bit sad with the fire. Bet they didn't know about pencil pines and fire either.
Nick S

Postby wobbly » Mon 06 Apr, 2009 5:44 pm

You can be lucky though.

We where at the Walls on Mon and Tues just gone and we didn't see a sole. Even left my hat on top of Mt Jerusalem and it was still there the next day when I went back for it. Admittedly we didn't go in via Trappers or stay at Wild Dog but despite visting most places we still didn't even see anyone in the distance.
wobbly

Return to Tasmania