The Vale of Belvoir

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The Vale of Belvoir

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi all,

After reading the very intriguing account of the Vale of Belvoir in 40 South, we're most keen to go and explore. I see the Penguin-Cradle trail skirts it- does it actually go into the Vale at points? Does anyone know if the family that owns it allows bushwalkers access?

Cheers, Bob
the_camera_poser

Re: The Vale of Belvoir

Postby Penguin » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:20 pm

Bob

The Penguin to Cradle trail skirts one end to my memory.

Also there is a group trying to raise private funds (donations) to buy the land and hold it in trust. It is one of our Christmas presents this year - we use charities rather than pressies as we are aging. If you wnat further information I could get some for you.

D
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:51 pm

Penguin, do you know if the road marked VDL Track on Google Earth is open to the public?

A great cause- I'll be donating when I can too.
the_camera_poser

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 12:54 pm

From this, I assume it's open to the public. I think a photographic expedition is in the works.....

http://www.ifs.tas.gov.au/ifs/IFSDataba ... e/lake-lea
the_camera_poser

Postby Chris » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 3:33 pm

Penguin wrote:there is a group trying to raise private funds (donations) to buy the land and hold it in trust. It is one of our Christmas presents this year - we use charities rather than pressies as we are aging. If you wnat further information I could get some for you.

I decided it was probably worth supporting when I got my second brochure requesting donations. Not sure where the first came from (? Australian Geographic) but the second came in a mail-out from a L'ton bookshop, who specifically said they supported it.

Haven't seen the 40o South article, but have great memories of an incredible display of native irises covering the Vale years ago. Haven't managed to see a similar display since, but living in hope.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm going to check it out soon. Sounds magical!
the_camera_poser

Return to Tasmania