Ritters track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ritters track

Postby flyfisher » Sat 29 Sep, 2007 7:53 pm

Anybody know about Ritters Track. It runs from around Forty Lakes Peak to the Walls of Jerusalem,and Ithink it was used to move cattle or sheep to the Walls for summer grazing.

A couple of years ago Iwalked a section of it ,between Poweena Creek and towards Pencil Pine Tarn where much of it has a very distinct pad.

In the Lake Gwendy area the markers are generally rock cairns.

West of Lake Butters, an interesting faeture is a memorial cross to a bloke named .....Nutting. Can't remember his first name, but the cross marks the spot where his body was found. Lake Nutting is named after him but is about 2 kms.N.W.of the cross ,which is beside Ritters track.Image
linked with linkr
Last edited by flyfisher on Fri 05 Oct, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby walkinTas » Sun 30 Sep, 2007 1:09 pm

Sounds interesting. Does the track you walked go all the way to Pencil Pine Tarn?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Ritters Track

Postby flyfisher » Sun 30 Sep, 2007 9:48 pm

Ihave only walked the section from approx. 2 k's west of the middle of Lake Butters to about 2 k's north of butters.

The track would pass about 2 k's east of Pencil pine Tarn and Lake Gwendy.
In the area of Long tarns the pad was very distinct .About 10 years ago I found it east of Lake Gwendy marked by cairns which ,although widely spaced, could be followed o.k.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Re: Ritters track

Postby dplanet » Tue 15 Jan, 2008 10:29 pm

Just did a part of it, the section between Turrana Heights area and Lake Evans. The section is marked with some cairns. Form memory this section is not reasonably cairned. Here is one of the last cairns if heading to Lake Nameless via Ritters Track
http://members.westnet.com.au/dzungn/tas_cairn.jpg
The section between Lake Evans and Lake Nameless is not cairned. GPS and compass are helpful at this point. I enjoyed loo with the view at Ironstone. My last year walk to Ironstone was via Higgs Track.

I walked out via Explorer Creek. Eastern Lake Explorer route is rather scruby and rocky. Crossing Explorer Creek and Fisher River was not a problem.

Cheers,
Dz Nguyen
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Return to Tasmania