access to tiger range

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

access to tiger range

Postby craigw » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 5:53 pm

Can anyone tell me whether the forestry roads to the start of Lake Rhona walk at Tigers Range (GO3 spur carpark) are suitable for 2-wheel drive? I understand that the gordon river rd Tassie-link service is no longer an option.

Cheers
C
craigw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: access to tiger range

Postby norts » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 6:01 pm

Last time I was there, about 2 years ago, a 2 wheel drive vehicle would make it ok. Roads a bit rough but no problems.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ollster » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 7:10 am

We were there in Feb 08 (think it was Feb...) road was in pretty good nick. There was a minivan there at the carpark, so it's obviously not too bad. :D
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby craigw » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 4:34 pm

thanks for that, all sounds good.
Craig
craigw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Buck » Thu 11 Dec, 2008 3:16 pm

Just came back from Spires.Access ok but pretty rough for 2 wheel drive.Spent 4 days at Gordon River waiting to cross back.Been a lot of rain lately and all in flood.Take care.
Buck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby craigw » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 5:55 am

Buck,

4 days waiting!!! taking an extra couple of days food is par for the course, but 4 days. what or who did you eat!

i'm planning a walk into the font in late jan, hopefully things wil have calmed down by then. did you get there? I'm curious about water availability along the walk, looks like some fairly lengthy sections without, in particular from rhona to badgers flat. looks like i'll be crossing the top end of squirrel creek after coming off bonds craig and then theres a decent creek running north from below North Star. can i expect water in these?

any tips for the walk would be much appreciated.

cheers
craig
craigw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Buck » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 10:17 am

Plenty of water this time.The whole place was in flood. A few years ago in march very little water to be found.A bit in the creek from North Star.Had a few weather problems this time so fell just short of the Font.Rained heavy for 7 days,"white outs" and snow down to below Lake Rhona. Navigation at times very difficult especially when you trying to avoid the big belts of bad scrub.Not one of our best November trips but that is the South/West.
Buck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Buck » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 11:04 am

Interested to learn whether craigw made it to The Spires and if so what sort of a trip you had.Which way did you go once you got onto Preambulator Ridge and what was the going like?
Buck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania