Mt. Field

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt. Field

Postby Whos_asking99 » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 3:46 pm

Afternoon all.

What does everyone know about walking various tracks in Mt. Field?, I've had a look at the Parks and Wildlife site, but their info is a bit (very) vague.

Info I'm looking at is...
Track/weather conditions this time of year.
Visibility of track.
Any special gear needed.
Ease of access.
Recommendations.
And any other bits of info you bush walking encyclopedias might have.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron
PM me if you would like my MSN.
Whos_asking99
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt. Field

Postby rohjoe » Tue 09 Dec, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi Aaron.
Like all Tas alpine areas weather can be foul at any time of year so suitable clothing should be carried. Tracks to the popular spots are easily followed, eg Tarn Shelf, Lake Webster circuit, Field West, Field East. Places like Florentine Peak, Tyenna Peak & The Watcher are less frequently visited but involve open walking so navigation is not difficult in fine weather. The Tarn Shelf is a definite must see, especially around Anzac day when the deciduous beech is turning. Lovely views down to Lake Seal. The old huts with skiing memorabilia are very interesting. A circuit back to Lake Dobson via Lake Webster can be done but the Lake Webster section is less interesting, so many people return the same way. The car park at Lake Dobson is about 1.5 hrs from Hobart.
Cheers,
Rohan
rohjoe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Wed 10 Dec, 2008 12:31 am

Whos_asking99 wrote:What does everyone know about walking various tracks in Mt. Field

rohjoe wrote:Tarn Shelf is a definite must see, especially around Anzac day when the deciduous beech is turning. Lovely views down to Lake Seal

Having been to Tarn Shelf for the first time last May I have to agree. The Pandani circuit around Lake Dobson is a doddle but is also worth doing.

Mt Field East circuit is a nice walk of about 10km. Lake Fenton carpark > Seagars Lookout > Windy Moor (track is quite muddy here and has become very braided through people skirting around it, but not too difficult to navigate through) > Mt Field East summit (great views if clear weather) > Lake Nicholls Hut (very pretty spot) > Lake Dobson Rd back to start (NB this was a ~2 km uphill slog along the road when I did it but see this post which advises an alternative via the "Old Pack Track" and links to some track notes for it).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Whos_asking99 » Thu 11 Dec, 2008 7:34 am

Thanks for all the advice.

Ever since I got back from Rhona, dads taken an interest in walking, so we thought Mt.Field would be a good place to go for a day walk or two.
Whos_asking99
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby flyfisher » Thu 11 Dec, 2008 8:42 pm

Glad to hear about the fatherly interest, its nice to get out with family.
It was a bit frustrating to hear that you were so keen but obviously with no transport you couldn't get out there as much as you wou would like. Look after dad when you get him out there and hopefully he enjoys it.
As you were asking about Mt Field Nat. Park thats a good place to go with some easy walks and beautiful views such as tarn shelf and some tougher ones like Mt. Field west. Hope ya hava ball

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Whos_asking99 » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 9:15 am

flyfisher wrote:It was a bit frustrating to hear that you were so keen but obviously with no transport you couldn't get out there as much as you wou would like.

Got the gear...got the enthusiasm....lack the transport....

Thanks for the concern FF, and I sure hope he enjoys it, really he's the only hope I have of getting out there and getting some experience :?

*Edit*

oh, and I'm sure he knows where a lot of these tracks are, and where others are...as he works up around that area a fair bit.
Whos_asking99
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tastrax » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 1:47 pm

The Government huts at Mt Field Lake Dobson) are also relatively cheap ($40 a night - up to 6 people) and you can base yourself there and do daywalks with a few comforts when you return each night.

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=412#mt - even cheaper during the week!
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Swifty » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 7:48 pm

There used to be a bus service to Maydena, (don't know about now though), and it's just three hours to walk up the road to Lake Dobson. I used to do that quite often when I went to Mt Field, so transport wasn't ever a problem really. Just about anywhere to walk there is good, even the walk up the road is pleasant through the forest. It's a great place!
Swifty
Ossua vetera
Swifty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Whos_asking99 » Sun 21 Dec, 2008 6:11 pm

tastrax wrote:The Government huts at Mt Field Lake Dobson) are also relatively cheap ($40 a night - up to 6 people) and you can base yourself there and do daywalks with a few comforts when you return each night.

Hmm thats alright, sounds like something to look into once I get a bit more experience.

Swifty wrote:There used to be a bus service to Maydena, (don't know about now though)

I remember hearing something about this (or something similar), doesnt sound like the kind of thing that they would stop, do a good business with tourists.
Something else to look into.
Whos_asking99
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania