Advice on 3 day walks

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Advice on 3 day walks

Postby under10kg » Sun 30 Nov, 2008 11:32 am

Hi Guys,

I did plan to do the western arthers and federation peak in January with a friend. Due to some fitness issues I feel I could not cope with such a long walk even with my super light gear. I got tickets to come down for 14 day arriving Hobart. We could hire a car.

I would love some suggestions from you guys for some 3 to 4 day walks. The Mt Anne circuit and walking into the arthers and base camping come to mind depending on the weather. Its a bit of a drive to the walls from Hobart but I would love to go back to this area.

Any suggestions of a few more walks. I am a experienced walker and have done the western arthers, walls and craddle solo.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Advice on 3 day walks

Postby bluewombat » Sun 30 Nov, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi under10kg
lots of options in the 3-4 day range. If you have a few condition issues you could consider the circuit out of Fortesque Bay (tasman peninsula) to Cape Pillar, great scenery no big hills . 3 days exploring the peaks around Lake St Clair (bus to and from St Clair from Hobart) or walk in to Pelion on the Overland via the Arm River Track, base yourself at Old Pelion and go peak bagging (Oakley, Pillinger, Thetis, Ossa, Pelion East are all reasonably handy or on the way as you walk in but no bus). The Mt Anne circuit is good but strenuous. A jaunt out to Frenchmans, strenous again , you can usually get a bus for this one. You could easily spend a couple of nights in the Mt Field area which is quite close to Hobart, leave from Lake Dobson link together the Tarn Shelf via Twilight Tarn, Mt Field West, K-col down to Lake Belbin and back to Lake Dobson. There are an awful lot of options besides the 'classics'.
cheers
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ollster » Tue 02 Dec, 2008 8:45 am

Just a word of warning, I would not reccomend taking "ultra light gear" into the South West. Gear should be suitable for the conditions, and not compromised to save some sweating! :D

Unless of course it's all super super titanium and space age fabrics... :mrgreen:

Frenchman's Cap is a great 3 dayer.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby under10kg » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 9:21 am

I think if you read the posts on my light weight gear on this forum you will realize that it is safe for tasi conditions. In fact, I believe the new modern light gear is safer as you do not get overtired and it reduces the risk of sprained ankles etc. Total weight of my gear including tent depending on sleep mats is 5 to 6 Kgs.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ollster » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 3:10 pm

No worries. You just see some people turn up with the crappest gear...
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Return to Tasmania