Weekend on Bruny Island

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Weekend on Bruny Island

Postby matthias » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi there,

I'm living in Hobart (moved here not long ago) and always wanted to see Bruny Island, a lot of people recommend me to go there. I was thinking about maybe doing a weekend trip with 1-2 nights stay, leaving Friday night or Saturday morning and being back on Sunday night. Unfortunately I don't have a car so the first challenge would be to get to Kettering somehow (where the ferry leaves).
From what I've read so far the most interesting part for walking is South Bruny. Does anyone have any suggestions for itineraries, walks and camp sites?

Thanks so much

Edit: I found out there's actually a bus going from Hobart to Kettering, unfortunately only on weekdays. But I think I could take a late bus around 5-6pm from Hobart after work, take the last ferry to the island, then I would have 2 full days to explore, and on Monday morning around 6.30am I'd take an early ferry, early bus home, take a shower and at 9am I'll be sitting in my office ;-) Sounds good to me. Now I just need to find out how to get around once I'm on Bruny.
matthias
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Weekend on Bruny Island

Postby rohjoe » Wed 26 Nov, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi Matthias.
I can recommend Jetty Beach campsite as a base to do the very nice Labilladiere Peninsula walk and to also check out the lighthouse. There are toilets & water there and great beaches.

Not aware of any public transport on the island so you will need to hire a car or hitch a ride to get around.
Cheers,
RJ
rohjoe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Weekend on Bruny Island

Postby matthias » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 9:46 pm

Hi, thanks for your recommendation. Yes I found out the lack of public transport is a major problem for me on the island, so I decided to wait until I have more time to spend and maybe hire a touring bike for a couple of days.
matthias
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Return to Tasmania