Pelion, Mines & Oakleigh Strollers

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Pelion, Mines & Oakleigh Strollers

Postby corvus » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 6:25 pm

That's another one under our belts with typical late Spring weather Snow on the way in and blazing Sun on the way out.As it took us a little bit longer to walk in and the weather not being so good we decided to visit Old Pelion and the Copper Mines on Sat afternoon the track into this part is very muddy and sthughes decided to practice for the "Loddens" by getting into the second deepest bog hole on this track which is waist deep we did not get a photo of this only of the aftermath :( the rest of the evening was spent lightening some of our packs :wink: with early to bed for the young ones.
Sun morning at around 6.30 am I bade them a bon voyage to Oakleigh before rolling over to arise at the civilised hour of 8.15 ish ,I will let the participants of the Oakleigh accent fill you in on this but apparently sthughes provided them with entertainment at the Lake Ayr outlet creek crossing.
Thank you to all who participated and in particular sthughes for being our driver and showing us the more scenic routes on the way back and I retract all I said about the "cheap squishy bendy Outlander" there is no way my "superb Forester could have coped " except perhaps in the rear suspension :lol:
Again sthughes many thanks and you new Vehicle is very nice and I look forward to doing it again.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pelion, Mines & Oakleigh Strollers

Postby corvus » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 7:39 pm

Our Trivia quizz,
Mark David Chapman and you were correct penguin Charleen.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Taurë-rana » Sun 23 Nov, 2008 10:22 pm

Thanks sthughes, corvus, Penguin and Geoskid, I had a fantastic weekend even though I can now barely walk :? . I enjoyed the company and the walking, but I'm not so sure about the seating arrangements in the car! You'd think they would make decent middle seats in the back.
I don't know that any of us were quite ready for the walk up Mt Oakleigh at 6.30am, especially those of us who had to move out of our room in the middle of the night to escape the chainsaws, but the views more than made up for it. There were some absolutely stunning views with mountains right around, many with a dusting of snow. The track up goes across button grass plains where sthughes fell into a creek (someone else can describe what happened), then up through a myrtle forest, an amazing stand of pandani and then lots of scoparia before it opens out more on top. We got to the summit with its great views, then discovered it wasn't the summit so headed towards a large cairn. The views there were magnificent but it still wasn't the summit so sthughes and I headed for the real summit for views of Cradle and Barn Bluff while Geoskid placed a geocache and Penguin started back down.
When I got back down to the bridge near the lodge (after a little mishap of my own in a creek), I found sthughes sitting by the creek washing his gaiters etc after falling in another mud hole. I have to point out that no-one else from our party fell in a mudhole this weekend. Perhaps some mudhole identification training would be useful? :lol:
Thanks corvus for the tour guiding before dinner on Saturday, it was very interesting. Thanks sthughes for driving us (round the bends)!
The walk out was a bit of a slog after the Oakleigh walk in the morning, but that was made up for by the superb weather. All in all, a great weekend :D
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sthughes » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 8:19 am

Yeah another good walk, excellent weather on Sunday and fantastic views from Oakleigh. Could have spent another day up there and been more pleasant.

I enjoyed the company and the walking, but I'm not so sure about the seating arrangements in the car! You'd think they would make decent middle seats in the back.

That's okay - you're welcome to drive your own car seem it's just so superior! :lol:

I have to point out that no-one else from our party fell in a mudhole this weekend. Perhaps some mudhole identification training would be useful?

I have to point out that I learnt to walk trough muddy areas on the track where possible rather than widen the bog unneccesarily like some "environmental terrorists" who were accompanying me!!
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Penguin » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 8:21 am

I can only but echo the sentiments above.

It was a great weekend, and shows the value of a forum such as this to get like minded, but very different, people together. The walk is a great walk, the new-new Pelion hut has just the best verandah, and a great hill to climb. But the company on the walk can take an average weekend into real fun

Sthughes did the most magnificent job of "herding the cat" so we were at the starting blocks early . He then managed to show us his other sides of practicing pratfalls in bog holes and then attempting superman routines across creeks. Also he showed us how to get you close and personal with nature by not being an eco vandal and always walking in the middle of the track, even if you do end up to your middle in peat bog. The washing machine in the Sthughes household would have worked overtime last night. I sure if we all hike with such enthusiasm, our time will come for such adventures.

I second Devonannie in thanking Corvus for his spontaneous tour guide of Old Pelion Hut and the surrounding mines. History comes alive when told by somebody who is passionate about the area, and who has been keen to preserve some of that history.

Geoskid cannot be left out, I now get this geocaching caper. I can see why it is so addictive. Adult hide and seek with scenery.

To see the walk through the eyes of some who has not walked overnight for years in refreshing. This was Devonannie's first overnight walk for quite a few years. To see the joy of in the small things that many of us who have walked a bit in recent years just overlook was great.

The highlight was climbing Oakleigh. It rivals the views I had earlier in the year from Olympus. Oakleigh is just in the right spot to giver you 360 degree views of the whole north end of the Cradle/Lake St Clare park and beyond. The weather was perfect - just enough wind to keep the atmospheric haze to a minimum.

Climbing Oakleigh and walking out in the same day (8.5 hours walking) put this little vegemite in bed by 9.30 and asleep by 9.35.
No energy for a post last night. Woke this morning remarkable refreshed.

A really great weekend - thanks for the company.

D
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby alliecat » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 8:25 am

Hang on - does this mean the BWT strollers were in Pelion hut on Nov 15 and 16? If so, I was there too! Looks like I missed a chance to meet you guys :(

sthughes - I sympathise completely about the creek from Lake Ayr - I took a dive there too, but miraculaously i stayed dry under my waterproofs.

If you guys were there, I was in a party of 4; two couples. We slept in the hut on Sat night but moved out because of the noise and crowds and set our tents up on one of the platforms.

Really, you need a big BWT banner so we can spot you on the trail :)
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 8:56 am

Hang on - does this mean the BWT strollers were in Pelion hut on Nov 15 and 16? If so, I was there too! Looks like I missed a chance to meet you guys :(

Nah - we were there on the 22nd-23rd, a week later. There was only one other small group in the hut when we were there.

I can recommend sleeping on the verandah - it's quiet, sheltered and has views of the starry sky. I wouldn't dream of sleeping in the hut again unless the weather was horrible.

sthughes - I sympathise completely about the creek from Lake Ayr - I took a dive there too, but miraculaously i stayed dry under my waterproofs.

Actually it was the sort of creek before that creek. I tried to jump it but the ground I stepped off on collapsed so instead of jumping I just kinda collapsed at speed into it but my arms/chest made it onto the other side bank, luckily. Of course for us it was great weather so no waterproofs to save me - but it was kinda refreshong being such a warm day! At the actual Lake Ayr creek I crossed the very unstable balance beam no worries - however I think devon Annie came unstuck there on the way back.
The worst bit was on the flat area in very open bush at the base of Oakleigh where I was rushing to catch back up to Penguin and I made a rushed assesment of a very small patch of mud that looked maybe ankle deep but actually came to my chest. I was in a mad rush to get out and stop my camera drowning! Luckily no one saw me while I was in this state! After that I stopped at the suspension bridge on the way to the Hut and cleaned the caked on mud off everything so I didn't turn the Hut into a Pig Stye.
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 9:30 am

Thanks sthughes, corvus, penguin and Devonannie for a memorable weekend, it was great to meet you all.
I particularly enjoyed the easy, friendly banter on the verandah over dinner and medicinal liquids, which included everything from gear (including spoons of course) to Monty Python! :D
sthughes definitely got voted 'Best On Ground' for throwing himself at everything the track had to offer, including sustaining a leech bite on his midriff whilst laying flat on the ground photographing Fungi, followed closely by Devonannie for narrowly
avoiding a prostrate full immersion whilst crossing the Lake Ayr outlet (good save!).
Climbing Mt Oakleigh definitely made the second walk to the area in as many days well worthwhile- fantastic views.
Thanks for providing transport sthughes, the front seat was very comfotable! :D
Hope to join you all again one day - On a track.... Somewhere.
Geoskid
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:08 am

I just had a look at John Chapman's book and I'm feeling much better about being so worn out and sore. The walk in to Pelion Hut is 12.4km and the Oakleigh walk is 9.6km return. So we did 22km yesterday, over half with a pack on. I don't think I've done a day bushwalk any longer than 12km in the last few years so I'm pleased that I didn't collapse in a heap on the track on the way out (as I'm sure are the others I went with).
I agree with sthughes about needing more time on Oakleigh - it's not somewhere you want to be in a hurry to get back down from.
sthughes wrote:That's okay - you're welcome to drive your own car seem it's just so superior! :lol:

In my superior car, I doubt that anyone would slide around, and it might well give us an extra few hours walking time after refusing to go up a hill. What more could you ask for? :wink:
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sthughes » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:30 am

I'm pleased that I didn't collapse in a heap on the track on the way out (as I'm sure are the others I went with).

lol - I did collapse in a heap on the track (thanks for picking me up Geoskid!)!
Must remember to take more food next time - what was I thinking walking almost 9 hrs (including a mountain) on 2 english muffins, half a horrible freeze dried breakfast and a mini pizza! :roll:
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Penguin » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:31 pm

sthughes wrote:Must remember to take more food next time - what was I thinking walking almost 9 hrs (including a mountain) on 2 english muffins, half a horrible freeze dried breakfast and a mini pizza!

Maybe you should leard to drink caffeine. Or forget about the light weight treckers and carry in a full cooked breakfast rather than the dehy version?
Penguin

Postby sthughes » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 1:00 pm

I drink caffine - it's called energy drinks :P - just the're a bit heavy to lug around. Think I'll just go back to cereal or oats - MUCH nicer! :D And not forget the m&m's!
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 6:09 pm

sthughes wrote:I drink caffeine - it's called energy drinks :P - just the're a bit heavy to lug around. Think I'll just go back to cereal or oats - MUCH nicer! :D And not forget the m&m's!

No need for caffeine sthughes just 2 packets Lowan Cup of Oats just add boiling water stir and eat ,for a gourmet treat add one of those little serves of Honey (its No How Ye Make Porridge but you cannot burn it)and the double serve as suggested should weigh around 130gm and as I mentioned you can use Multix Resealable Freezer & Storage Bags small to cook/eat them in (there is a post on the forum with pics about them some where ) I also recommend "Skips go fast pills" Glucodin Tablets excellent for instant energy as you could see from this old timers performance on the track :)
I did have a mug of Earl Grey Tea after my Porridge.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:23 pm

I thought I saw you popping pills, corvus, no wonder you set a good pace.
Geoskid, I like your Pelion Hut cache, I won't get an FTF for this one! I didn't even see the log book. Actually I don't think I could get back in there at the moment, my knee is feeling very dodgy.
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Whos_asking99 » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 4:09 pm

Looks like everyone had a great time, can only hope that the pieces fall into place for the next one :D (if you'll still have me of course)
PM me if you would like my MSN.
Whos_asking99
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Tue 25 Nov, 2008 5:24 pm

G'day Wa99,
You are still welcome always have been just so long as we have our selves covered legally.Being younger than 18 has its problems for us, Shees if I was 17 again no worries but today we have this duty of care thing which requires parental permission as previously mentioned.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Return to Tasmania