Fire in Freycinet NP

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Fire in Freycinet NP

Postby Singe » Tue 18 Nov, 2008 9:15 am

Does anyone know what the deal is with the large burned area along the northern side of the Isthmus track? Looked fairly recent, with only some bracken and Xanthorrhoea growback. I'm guessing it was a planned PWS burn - would've asked at the visitor center on the way back but didn't get back to the car until after 6. Another explanation would be a cigarette butt - a lot of these on the tracks in the day walk zone, most didn't even appear to have been stubbed out. I don't remember this being a particular issue in the past, but can only imagine that it will only get worse come the peak visitor - and fire danger - season...

On a similar note - destroyed another fireplace on the coast south of the Hazards Beach campsite. Seems to be at least one new one down there every time I'm in the park - some idiots just never learn :roll:

The best one was on a blazing hot day last November with a dry Westerly blowing up the mountains - the &%$&^$s had dumped their rubbish in the still-smoldering fire and walked away, with their left-over supply of firewood piled against a dead tree less than 2m from the fire. :evil:
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Tasmania