Gowan Brae Road

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Gowan Brae Road

Postby Robbo » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:41 am

Hello All

Does anyone know the condition of the Gowan Brae Road towards Lake Olive? How far could I travel on it, in a 4WD, before having to leg it?

Thanks

Tony Robinson
Attachments
JohnsonsLagoonLakeOlive.png
GoogleMaps-terrain screenshot
JohnsonsLagoonLakeOlive.png (193.37 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Re: Gowan Brae Road

Postby flyfisher » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 11:29 am

Robbo, I would say that you can definately get to the Lake Ina track turnoff where there is a hut on the right, close to the river.55S451859 5346699N A bit further on there is a rough culvert and then a bridge over the Nive. If the bridge is o.k. then you should be able to drive out towards Johnsons lagoon to around 55s 449417e 5351855n where there is a flattish marsh on your right. If you angle down onto the flat heading approx north you should pick up the old 4wd track to Olive and Naomi

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Robbo » Sun 09 Nov, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks FF

Looking on the 1:25000 maps and that all appears to make sense.

Thanks again :)

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:13 pm

Robbo, years ago before the area was made world heritage ,we used to go to Naomi by 4wd or m/bike for fishing. It is a beautiful spot with good flyfishing and some lovely camp sites. Of interest also is the ramains of a small float plane which crashed on the back shore.Not sure of the year but I had my first trip there in feb 1978 and it had been well picked over before then.
This was the place where I took my son on his first bushwalk for 3 nights at age 10.Unfortunately although it was 3rd week of jan and a big high on the w/map we had 2 days of snow showers.Did make it look nice though.
Of interest also is the hut on the island (Halls island) in lake Malbena. There used to be a float boat hidden on shore but I don't know if it would be still there and useable.
If you're not going over the hill to Naomi, there is nice camping between Olive and Olive lagoon. It's not very far to there
but an easy first night :)

FF
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 10 Nov, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi Robbo, you can get to the Park boundary before Olive Lagoon if you have a vehicle with good clearance. The last bit is almost faster walking as it is tight and windy and rough. The gate after the bridge over the Nive is only open during fishing season. We were last there a couple of years ago though so this info is not up to date.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Robbo » Mon 10 Nov, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks for this extra information, FF

flyfisher wrote:Of interest also is the hut on the island (Halls island) in lake Malbena. There used to be a float boat hidden on shore but I don't know if it would be still there and useable.
If you're not going over the hill to Naomi, there is nice camping between Olive and Olive lagoon.

We want to head west towards Triangle Lake for a couple of nights - I am interested in checking out getting to the top of Lake Meston from Chinamans Plain - Nik sent me some info re this a few weeks ago. Then we'll head through Ling Roth Lakes and over to Junction Hut and on to Cathedral Plateau for a couple of days.

Devon Annie wrote:Hi Robbo, you can get to the Park boundary before Olive Lagoon if you have a vehicle with good clearance. The last bit is almost faster walking as it is tight and windy and rough. The gate after the bridge over the Nive is only open during fishing season. We were last there a couple of years ago though so this info is not up to date.

Thanks Devon Annie

I understand what you mean re slow 4WDriving. I drove past Ada Lagoon and on as far as you can take a 4WD a couple of years ago, and it was pretty much the same there. :)

Thanks again

Tony Robinson
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 7:28 pm

I think a lot of the Central Highlands is pretty slow 4WDriving, I remember walking into Lake Pillans in front of the 4WDrives because it was at least as quick and more comfortable than the 4WD. Our youngest son often runs ahead of our vehicle now, but then he was born to run. 4WDrives are good for families and comfort though.
Have a good trip, it should be lovely through there.
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flyfisher » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 8:44 pm

I think a lot of the Central Highlands is pretty slow 4WDriving,

You're right there Devon Annie some of the tracks are very rough (pillans , lake field)but if you enjoy a bit of 4wd ing it can be fun but you need a high clearance vehicle with good suspension.
Once you are "in" and set up you have a good start for deeper wanderings,(largely for fishing)
The disadvantage is that you have to return to that place at some stage for the return trip.
Some years back a friend drove 4 of us (family group)to Pillans lake and we then walked to Gwendy to the beautiful campspot on the back shore where we stayed for 3 nights before moving back to Pillans near the narrow spot well down the lake where we stayed another 3 nights, before crossing at the narrows and walking back to our van at Augusta via Wadleys and Stumps .
These days the backpack takes preference, and camp at days end, wherever we finish up.

FF
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 10:22 pm

We've been to Gwendy, it's a beautiful lake. I didn't know it had a campsite though. I'll have to get there one day. So many places to go, too short a lifetime to fit it all in!
We've been up the hill/mountain next to Gwendy too, and wandered into Butters, but Gwendy is nicer.
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania