Lake Ball Hut and surrounds

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Ball Hut and surrounds

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:47 pm

Heading from the Walls to the OT and north in a few weeks in a party of six.

The plan is to fly in in the am, transfer up to the Walls and then have a night on the platforms at Wild Dog Creek before using the following day to explore the area and then head off to the Lake Ball area for night 2. Because there are six of us we want to keep away from the usual camping areas so we don't "crowd" them.

We walked past Lake Ball Hut (pic below) last year in July and did not really explore the area.

My question is, are there any camp sites near the hut if we decide to stay there. Six in this hut would be unreasonable and not too fair if anyone else is there......
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Lake Ball Hut and surrounds

Postby kramster » Wed 29 Oct, 2008 3:45 pm

If I remember rightly, there are a few patchy camping areas on the flats on the lump that sticks out into the lake, 50-100m south-east of the hut.
When we visited, others were already camping there (and we ended up squeezing our two tents between trees either side of the hut).
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lake+ball,+tasmania&sll=-41.842739,146.29055&sspn=0.003533,0.00824&g=tasmania&ie=UTF8&ll=-41.843446,146.291043&spn=0.003533,0.00824&t=h&z=18

Better / easier camping can be found around Dixons, about 1 hr walk further (but that may fall into the "usual camping areas" shoebox).
I'm not sure what the southern side of Lake Ball is like, and if there is any clearings down that way - might be worth exploring at some stage :)
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby rucksack » Wed 29 Oct, 2008 5:06 pm

I agree. Better to stick around Dixon's Kingdom. Very marginal camping around Lake Ball hut. The southern side of Lake Ball isn't much better, although there are some possible spots down around the south east 'corner' of the lake around GR417669. I'd be inclined to find a spot around Dixon's, or push on to the the northern end of Lake Meston, which is an excellent camp with a great view (in good weather of course)!
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby norts » Wed 29 Oct, 2008 6:56 pm

If I remember correctly there are a few spots around the Bernes Valley end of Ball

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:51 am

There's plenty of grassy areas right throughout Jaffa Vale (from Western side of Mt Jerusalem to the Eastern end of Lake Ball). A lot of the grass is tufty, and not suitable for tents. I suspect that you may be able to find areas that are suitable though. There's plenty of this grass around the north east corder of lake ball where it meets Jaffa Vale, and I'm sure I've seen people camping there before, camp fire and all (before the fuel-stove-only days).

My own preferred WOJ camp site is a not far from the northern (far) end of Jaffa Vale, but I'm not sure it would be suitable for 6 tents.

Otherwise, as has already been said, the North end of Lake Meston (quite a lot further on) has plenty of good camping.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 9:33 am

Son of a Beach wrote:but I'm not sure it would be suitable for 6 tents.

Thanks Nik and everyone else who has posted suggestions. I just wish I had taken more notice last year when we were there in July.
We will have three tents (and 6 people) which is the max number I would ever want to walk with. The party includes our son and a mate on their first Tassie bushwalk which should be great (we hope)

The carrot is a night at Cradle Mountain Lodge at the end......
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Robbo » Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:52 am

The northern end of Lake Adelaide offers good camping as well, and is not too far from the Walls. There is also camping at the southern end of Lake Adelaide - but I think top end of Meston is awesome...

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby roseart » Fri 31 Oct, 2008 2:40 pm

We walked through there earlier this year. There is a fairly good camping place about 100 mts
south east of the hut. If I remember correctly there are several good sites for tents on abit of land that pops out in the lake. Don't stay in the hut as there is a local possum who knows how to made a pest of itself. Lake Ball is a magic place to camp - enjoy :D roseart
roseart
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Dylan253 » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 11:29 am

My family and I went in for an overnight trip circuit last year through the walls and out past Lake Adelaide and we camped in a really nice spot at the north-eastern end of the lake, near the large clearing that turns into the Jaffa Vale valley. The track goes right past the patches, and it is perhaps 15-20 mins walk east of the hut. We had nobody around and spent the night wandering around and watching the sunset over the lake.
Dylan253
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Penguin » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 4:01 pm

[/quote]
Dylan253 wrote:My family and I went in for an overnight trip circuit last year through the walls and out past Lake Adelaide and we camped in a really nice spot at the north-eastern end of the lake, near the large clearing that turns into the Jaffa Vale valley. The track goes right past the patches, and it is perhaps 15-20 mins walk east of the hut. We had nobody around and spent the night wandering around and watching the sunset over the lake.

I have camped at the same spot - excellent position
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Robbo » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 4:43 pm

Does this look familiar?
Attachments
LakeAdelaide1.jpg
Northern end of Lake Adelaide
LakeAdelaide1.jpg (72.04 KiB) Viewed 9002 times
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College

Postby dplanet » Wed 03 Dec, 2008 5:12 pm

I had afternoon tea here. For me, the camp site near southern end of Adelaide is nicer. It is also possible to set off from here to head to Lake Toorah, Three Arm, then Atimony.
dplanet

Return to Tasmania