Overnight Walks in April 2009

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Overnight Walks in April 2009

Postby Lynda Moir » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 12:18 am

We are beginning to plan our next bushwalking adventure in Tasmania. To date we have completed - the overland track, the south coast track and the western arthurs. We plan to make the big trek across from WA next April. We were originally thinking of the overland track again. But also considering the walls of jerusalem. I have read with interest lots of the suggestions in the other threads. Main concern is weather as we can't arrive before April. We did the western arthurs in late March this year and had great weather. I thought if weather was an issue we could head for Freycinet. Would probably like 3 nights out with maybe a second 4 night walk as well. Hopefully will rely on family and friends for transport. Still working on publishing our notes on the western arthurs - this year has presented a few challenges!
Lynda
Lynda Moir
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Overnight Walks in April 2009

Postby dee_legg » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:05 am

You could plan to do the Mt Anne Circuit if you get a good weather window for 3 or 4 nights but April might be pushing it. Seems like you have a bit of experience and I personally love the area as you get the view of the South West but it's completely different immediate scenery than the Western Arthurs eg. dolermite columns.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Overnight Walks in April 2009

Postby wello » Wed 05 Nov, 2008 9:59 pm

April can have good weather, and one of the big benefits of walking at this time of the year is you may get a chance to see the fagus turning. This is the only decidiuous native in Tassie, and goes a brilliant gold around mid to late April each year (there's a few threads on this site with some photos and advice on the best spots).

Some of my favourites are The Labyrinth and Twisted Lakes (at either end of the Overland Track), and Mt Field. You could do a fantastic walk over a number of nights based out of Pine Valley hut - lots of mountains within reach.

Not sure if the Walls have much fagus, but this is certainly one of the scenic highlights of the state. Might be a bit on the easy side given your other experience, so you might want to include it in a circuit through the Never Never and Lees Paddocks.

Freycinet is a good backup plan in poor weather.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania