Bush Walking Wannabees

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bush Walking Wannabees

Postby CrestedHawk » Thu 23 Oct, 2008 9:33 pm

HI!

We are going to Tasmania for our honeymoon in November/December and would love to do some (slightly) extended bush walks. My fiance and I are both very fit and have done plenty of day walks and a couple of overnighters around Victoria and New Zealand. We are very keen to get into more serious bush walking but dont want to remember our honeymoon for the wrong reasons (getting lost/breaking bones comes to mind).

I have been looking at the Overland track but the popularity of it puts us off slightly as we love the idea of some peace and quiet. Does anyone have any suggestions for 3-5 night walks that don't require too much technical ability?

We are bringing our 4WD and have camping/hiking equipment. Thanks for your help
CrestedHawk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Bush Walking Wannabees

Postby Iluvtheoutdawz » Thu 23 Oct, 2008 9:52 pm

Have a look at the recent thread "3 night intro to Tassie" has a fairly good summary of what's possible - and what might be out of the question!
Iluvtheoutdawz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 8:32 am

Have a look at the series of tracks that all start on the Mersey Forest Road (eg, Walls of Jerusalem, Lakes Myrtle, Juncion, Meston, Bill, Moses Creek Track, Lees Paddocks/Reedy Lake/Overland, Never Never). There are a lot of different combinations of walks that you can do with this network of tracks which join each other in various places (some combinations would result in a few kms walk on the road at the end to get back to your car).

Most of these tracks have a significant steep portion near the beginning, but are otherwise quite easy after that, and all are very good walks. You can make your walk as long or as short as you like, and visit several different spots.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby CrestedHawk » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 4:59 pm

How to choose??? Thanks for the suggestions so far, they look stunning. I'm sure anywhere we end up going will be memorable but with only 3 weeks in total, we want to make the most of our time. I'm probably showing my newbie-ness here, but is the parks pass all that is required to do these walks (ie the walls and other mersey forest rd walks)? If I can save the $300+ for the overland track, I will be extra happy :D

Maybe another dumb question, but is there a book/guide that I can take with me so we can choose when we get there or would I be best to get a map and plan the route out beforehand?

Since I'm throwing the questions around, heres 1 more; is the Tarkine accessible or would I need a tour guide? The only information google is giving me is guided trips.

Thanks again for your help
CrestedHawk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Robbo » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 6:23 pm

is there a book/guide that I can take with me so we can choose when we get there

Not a dumb question at all. John Chapman et al has published 2 excellent books with walk descriptions for many of Tasmania's memorable walks. Many bushwalking shops will be able to supply a copy for you - or I believe you can buy them direct from him via his website...

Happy investigating and walking

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Fri 24 Oct, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi Crested Hawk,

The assumption below is flawed. In summer months the Overland Track is busy, however,it is in fact the only one where you will be Sure you wont be 'swamped' by people. Yes there will be others with you but many stay in the huts, often leaving many of the (mostly private) little campsites. Gone are the days of 70/80 tents in waterfall valley, I think those who haven't been through under the new summer booking system would be pleasantly suprised.

and I'm sure no-one would argue that it gives one of the best intro's, and a look at a spectacular range of tassie country. Probably everyone's pick if they only had one visit :wink:

Anyhow, Just a point (having noticed how many people comment about crowding up there. compared to where? nowhere overseas i'll bet! Sadly, I guess, you probably can't 'guarantee' privacy pretty much anywhere anymore)

CrestedHawk wrote:HI!

I have been looking at the Overland track but the popularity of it puts us off slightly as we love the idea of some peace and quiet. Does anyone have any suggestions for 3-5 night walks that don't require too much technical ability?

Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby forthferalz » Wed 29 Oct, 2008 4:07 am

http://www.touringtasmania.info/milkshake_hills.htm the Tarkine it's really very accessible to 4wd ask for a little brochure detailing a self-guided drive through the milkshake hills. Tayatea bridge will be rebuilt this summer.

Further west in the tarkine are marawah coastline, arthur river and corinna http://www.corinna.com.au/Experiences/Walks.aspx
there is a very nice riverside camping/lunch/swimming spot en route in the hellyer gorge.

this mite be useful http://www.roving.com.au/Pages/Amendments.html
forthferalz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania