Western Arthurs

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western Arthurs

Postby Trapper » Wed 15 Oct, 2008 1:18 pm

We're heading off to the Western Arthurs in a week's time. Anyone been there recently. If so what are the conditions like at the moment? Is there much snow left? How much mud? Track and camp site conditions, etc. etc.

NS :?:
Trapper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Western Arthurs

Postby Azza » Wed 15 Oct, 2008 2:55 pm

I was down at Mt Wedge last saturday, the only snow I could see in that direction was a large drift on Mt Anne just below the summit climb, the rest of the South West looked pretty clear. i.e. no visible snow on the Eastern or Western Arthurs.

Different story looking north, seemed to be plenty of snow left on Frenchmans Cap and around the Lake St Clair area.
I don't think you'll have any issues with water, but I reckon the track into Junction Creek and Arthurs plains are going to be pretty muddy.

Apart from that.. well just because there is no snow now doesn't mean it won't be there next week. On show day a few years ago I got snowed on at High Moor and had to navigate the begary Bumps under 20cm of fresh snow. Was an interesting day....

Camp sites on the arthurs are all timber platforms with toilets these days. Lake Cygnus, Lake Oberon, High Moor, Haven Lake. etc.

Have fun!

Cheers

Aaron
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tas-man » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:22 am

Hi Trapper, and BWT'ers,

You might be interested in taking a virtual trip along the Western Arthurs before you go 8) as this section from the Launceston Walking Club's "Do You Know Tasmania" show has just been uploaded to their YouTube site here - http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8RPOZWyH0mY
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Trapper » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 7:26 am

Thanks Ian. That has really whetted my appetite. What chances of getting the same weather? Tassie in October - zilch I think. We'll have a go anyway.

Neil
Trapper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tas-man » Fri 17 Oct, 2008 9:24 am

I think the Arthur's photos for that show section were taken on a trip one March, and they were just very lucky to get those weather conditions. However, the BIG variable of the weather is all part of the "spice" that flavours any trips into Tassie SW wilderness area. Being prepared for anything and everything is par for the course. :) Whatever the weather, I am sure you will "enjoy" :wink: your experience of the Western Arthurs next week. I look forward to reading your report and seeing some photos in the gallery when you get back to internet land.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Tue 21 Oct, 2008 9:32 am

Keep an eye on the weather - light highland snow in the south does indeed possibly a couple of inches on the Western Arthurs, as we found out one September...
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDT13100.html

Tasmanian State Forecast
Issued at 5:25am on Tuesday the 21st of October 2008
Valid until midnight Tuesday

Warnings:
1. A Gale Warning has been issued for eastern and southern Tasmanian coastal waters between St Helens Point and Low Rocky Point.
2. A Strong Wind Warning has been issued for all remaining coastal waters.
3. A Small Craft Wind Alert is current for the lakes.
4. A Sheep Graziers Alert has been issued for southern districts and the east coast.

Tasmania:
Isolated showers about the west and far south, tending scattered later this morning then extending statewide in the afternoon, although only isolated in the north. Light highland snowfalls developing above the 600 metre level by early evening. Locally cold inland at first then generally cool with freshening northwest to southwest winds, before a colder southwest to southerly change develops about the southwest late morning, then extends throughout in the afternoon.

In Brief: Scattered showers in the west and far south, extending statewide this afternoon.

Outlook for Wednesday :
Scattered showers and light highland snow about the south and east, clearing during the afternoon. Fine elsewhere. Cool to cold, with moderate to fresh southerly winds tending light and variable.

Outlook for Thursday :
Cold at first with local inland frost, then a fine and cool to mild day with light to moderate northerly winds.

Outlook for Friday :
Isolated light showers in most areas, mainly during the morning. Cool to mild, with light to moderate northwesterly winds.

And September 2006 -
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Trapper » Tue 04 Nov, 2008 5:24 pm

I climbed my first Tasmanian mountain aged 8 when my father and I climbed Cradle. Since then I have walked many tracks, and climbed many peaks, but have never ventured into the Western Arthurs, even though their craagy, jagged peaks have haunted me for many years. A few weeks ago a friend who is a keen wilderness photographer, said he was heading into the Range to try and get a few shots, and wondered if I would like to join him. This was my chance, no excuses.

We finally got underway last week with a weather forecast somewhat better than the previous week. We only had four days due to work commitments, and so our plan was to walk into Lake Cygnus day 1, walk to Lake Oberon day 2, back to Cygnus day 3, and finally back to Scotts Peak day 4. This gave us plenty of time "on the top" for my walking companion to get a few shots. It also allowed us a sheltered camp site each night if the weather gods frowned on us.

We set off Tuesday with light drizzle and a stiff southwesterly breeze. A typical South West day. There was a bit of mud around Junction Creek, but nothing like the Lodden, so progress wasn't too bad. But whoever put Alpha Moraine there must be a saddist. :twisted: What a GUTBUSTER!!!!! Camp at Cygnus was very welcome.

The next two days to Oberon and back were sensational. Wednesday bright and sunny, blue skies and no wind. A photographers dream. Thursday slightly overcast with very high cloud, no wind and soft shadows for Bill's photos. The fact I was walking with him, meant getting the best vantage points for his shots, carting the tripod and his "heavy" gear hither and thither, and so progress was not fast. In fact on Thursday morning it took us two and a half hours to get from Lake Oberon to the top of the ridge. But why rush when you are surrounded by such beauty. The photography was the perfect excuse to linger and take it all in.

We pitched the tent Thursday afternoon at Lake Cygnus at 1700 hours. Rain commenced at 1701 hours. Friday morning saw a howling southerly, driving rain and visibility down to less than fifteen metres. But who cared. We were heading out and we had had two perfect days in heaven. I have now "Been There", but still not quite "Done That", as there is a lot more of the Range to traverse. After seeing my photos my wife (who was working and couldn't join us) has insisted we head back up there next February when the mud around Junction Creek will have dried a little. By then the pain of Alpha Moraine will be forgotten, and the fantasic views will still be vivid memories. But at the age of 54, I had better make it sooner rather than later, because my joints really let me know how hard they had to work.

I would like to take my hat off to those who have done the track and camp work on the Range. Evidence of degradation from years of walkers is evident especially around the delicate lakes. With the stepping stones and platforms, we will all be able to enjoy the natural beauty with minimal damage to this gem of a place.

I look forward to seeing some of Bill's shots, but will have to wait for them to be developed and printed. Not like my immediate gratification of the digital world.
DSC_0036.JPG
Lake Cygnus
DSC_0036.JPG (74.06 KiB) Viewed 4988 times

DSC_0120.JPG
Lake Oberon from the top of Mt Sirius
DSC_0120.JPG (72.75 KiB) Viewed 4985 times

DSC_0052.JPG
Bill at work
DSC_0052.JPG (58.74 KiB) Viewed 4977 times

NS
Trapper
Nothofagus gunnii