Obsessed with the SW

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Obsessed with the SW

Postby Marky » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 2:57 pm

I just love the SouthWest....... Does anyone else suffer this problem??
Seriously I spend at least 50% of my day dreaming about what walk or where i'd like to go next.
Marky
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Obsessed with the SW

Postby stu » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 3:15 pm

I'm with you there Marky - I'm just biding my time at the computer waiting for big Xmas mission to various less-known peaks off the Port Davey track - looking forward to Greystone Bluff in particular - hard & remote, can't wait! What have you got in the pipeline?
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Marky » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 3:20 pm

Nice!! Glad to know im not the only one who suffers this......
Well I live near Judbury, all winter ive been eyeing off Nevada peak been up there many years ago but have all but fogotten it... have to look at the ranges every day (poor me huh) so im pretty keen to get up there.....just waiting for this snow to melt a bit more.

This year also hoping to do the full traverse of Southern ranges, Western Arthurs, Denison Ranges and maybe about time i did the Anne circuit..........
Marky
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby stu » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 3:35 pm

Nevada is a great little walk, did that one a couple of months ago in the snow, not full clear views tho unfortunately but still very enjoyable.
Have you done the South Pictons (Chapman, Burgess Bluff etc.)? I'd rate this higher than the Snowy range with awesome views of the Eastern Arthurs & the Eastern end of the Western Arthurs (West Portal looking spectacular) as well as down to PB, Bobs, Crest Range etc. etc. - got good weather for that one :D
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Marky » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 3:43 pm

Awesome!! was it hard going up there in the snow?? Ive been worried it may be a bit deep in places????
Have not done the pictons yet but am going up in a group day walk in a few weeks time! Looking forward to it more now!!
Marky
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby scrub master » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 10:11 pm

I don't think you're an orphan here by any means,I've been obsessed with the place - and Tassie in general since my first trip to Feders back in 1985. This summer I'm hoping to get out the Spires and Innes High Rocky - if I can find a boat and anyone else silly enough to go with me.

I have to agree with the comments about the Pictons as well, we were there as part of an aborted Vanishing falls trip in 1994 ( no we weren't lost, we were just taking the scenic route :wink: ). We had a couple of great campsites on the side of Picton and Pineapple Flats with brilliant views across to Feders et al. I'm hoping to get back there again this season with the original party for a bit of nostalgia.

morning below picton.jpg

mt chapman from pineapple flat.jpg

Stu, I keep meaning to talk to you about the track down from square tarn. In 1994 the track had just been cut and was a bit vague in places - are you heading into the gym on Thursday night ? :)
Hmm... Greystone Bluff and the White Monoliths, should be an awesome trip - been on my hit list for a lot of years
scrub master
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Steve » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 11:20 pm

I love the South-West even though the only big bushwalk I've done is Adamsons Peak.

It just has that untouched wilderness feel to it.

I once read John Chapman's South West Tasmania (original edition) from front to back like a novel. I was completely into it envisioning the whole thing as you with any good story. :P
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stu » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 8:00 am

G'day scrubmaster (Ivan?)
I'll be in the gym next Tuesday night - I have to get prepped for a Cradle area mission on Thursday night - shopping, packing etc. (leaving midday Friday).
The track to Square Tarn is pretty good, well cut & tagged, tho we did find it a little vague just near where you pop out above Square Tarn - in good weather it's pretty obvious where to go to get to Abrotoella Rise (a vague pad, no real markers / cairns), but when we did Chapman it was whiteout conditions, hence our diversion to Square Tarn & up on to the plateau from there (we thought we were following the 'track'). Found it pretty obvious when we did Anderson & Burgess a couple of weeks later in more favourable conditions.
Would like to go in again sometime in summer & camp at Square Tarn, a really nice little spot. See ya next Tuesday night.
Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 9:17 am

scrub master wrote:
morning below picton.jpg

That's a pretty full on camp site! :-)

Did you find yourselves repeatedly sliding towards the side of the tents during the night?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Marky » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 10:13 am

Wow..Scrub master Pictons have been on my list doing a day trip up there in a few weeks.. after seeing those pics im now thinking a 3-4 day trip up tehre is a must!!!

Spires and Innes would be a dream walk .... Im really keen to get to lake culry sometime....

Sigh* so many walks such little time.....
Marky
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Azza » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Stu,

I keep running into you wherever I go. - i.e. Lake Rhona - Bonds Craig and the Labrinyth, and I've noticed you a friend of a friend on Facebook.
We attempted a white monoliths mission a couple of years ago, we grand plans of traversing the range out to Macconiche and then across the Greystone bluff.
It was a bit of a non-event really, we struggle in scrub for hours trying to cross the Dodd River near where it merges with Crossing River. The water level was right up and we went right when we probably should have gone left and end up in a thicker section of scrub looking for a safe crossing. Eventually we found an island in the middle of the river which split the waterflow enough to make it safe to cross. By the time we reached the bottom of the White Monoliths after a lengthy scrub bash we're completely exhausted. Ended up making camp at the foot of the range and then did a trip the following day to Stonehenge Pk. Our original plan had us crossing the river and getting partway along the range on the 2nd day, we realised we'd not allowed enough time for entire the trip so we aborted. In hindsight we probably head enough time to continue along the range to Mt Macconiche. - not sure exactly why we didn't keep going, it was pretty easy walking along the top of the range. I think the scrub bash took a bit too much out of us.

Next SW mission - probably looking at doing the circuit up at Mt Picton. Steans Tarn --> Mt Chapman -> Square Tarn etc.

Cheers

Aaron
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby ollster » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 1:48 pm

Hate to burst your bubble there Azz, but we only got to Sculptured Mountain... :-( You'd better not be counting Stonehenge in your peak points!!!

That river crossing was possibly the least successful 4 hours of my life.

It's worth noting that once you're above the scrub, it looked like pretty good going up on the White Monoliths, although there are a number of small saddles that are probably full of head high scrub.

[EDIT: contractual on topic stuff...]

I have been flat out thinking about the Franklands next Easter. I really really want to add it to the "done" list...
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby stu » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 4:04 pm

Hey Aaron, thanks for the heads up - certainatly expecting all sorts of arboreal delights on that mission as it sounds like you experienced;
The Greystone Bluff component we are hoping to do as a (LONG, LONG) day walk from an advanced base camp near the base of Scoparia Head somewhere (sounds delightful), hopefully following a reasonable spur / ridge to the tops - fully expect to get be-nighted on one of these missions one day (& always prepared so with the supplies in my day pack). The Braddon, Robinson & Shaula components should be a littl e easier - tho Braddon not much easier from what I've heard :? Catch you at Hannah & Craigs wedding - will talk missions then. :D
Later.
Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 4:18 pm

Stu B - just to avoid confusion... I'm the Aaron that's Hannah's brother... Azza is another Aaron who I go walking with. Confused? :-)
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby stu » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 4:27 pm

Yep, totally confused - especially since we last met by headtorch at Lake Elysia so no face / name recognition + I think we'd all had a few beverages by then.
I was in the ball park at least :wink: Catch ya somewhere soon. Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 5:34 pm

yea... we're both Aaron's. :-) Just to make things confusing. Although we always refer to each other by nicknames, I never really think of Ollester as Aaron.

Frankland Range is penciled in for next easter.
Azza

Postby dee_legg » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 11:07 am

Scrubmaster.. Is the second photo you posted from Steane's Tarn looking upto to Mt Picton? Looks amazing what ever it is.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scrub master » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 10:34 pm

dee_legg wrote:Is the second photo you posted from Steane's Tarn looking upto to Mt Picton? Looks amazing what ever it is.

not quite, it was taken from pineapple flat looking towards mt chapman - one of the better campsites I've had you could say.
scrub master
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Buck » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 3:56 pm

I note Scrubmaster that you had hopes of Innes High Rocky this season. Did it eventuate and if so how did it go? Would be interested to know if you or anyone else went that way lately.
Buck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby scrub master » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 4:25 pm

Unfortunately we didn't make it to the spires because the ferryman was diagnosed with a hernia, so he couldn't head in with us. All was not lost though, we still managed to get a drop off at the base of Frankland Pk and had 5 1/2 days out of 6 of unbelievably good weather heading out to Sprent & serpentine dam.
There have been whispers of "next year" so we'll keep our fingers crossed.
I believe paul peakbagger was in the area around the same time attempting a Diamond Pk & POW traverse
scrub master
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Buck » Fri 17 Apr, 2009 4:37 pm

Thanks Scrubmaster may see you there. Which way were (are) you going?
Buck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 21 Apr, 2009 9:52 am

The discussion from this topic for planning a trip to the Spires/POW has now been split off to a new topic.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 23 Apr, 2009 11:13 am

Thanks Nic!! Your on the ball!! Never let anyone tell you otherwise!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania