Never Never Navigation ?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Never Never Navigation ?

Postby Ent » Mon 12 Nov, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi Corvus

I am more than sure that we could have figured it out as Nuts said the Valley is rather "obvious". Also it was far from our first walk. To me Chapman's hordes are time starved tourists looking to tick of "great" walks with not much planning or interest in the area aside from bucket list tick off. I much prefer to wander the area and explore nowadays but also great to have knowledge of the different ways around as scrub bashing for the sake of scrub bashing is not my idea of fun but still it can get you to some fantastic places with more than few ways I would like to check out such as Dixon Kingdom to Daisy Lake to name but one. But then I missed out on the "track" down Cathedral :wink: Go on Corvus post that as way as I would love to read your track notes and maybe weather report :D Though the target was not the OLT you would have had to cross the Mersey I assume at some point?

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby corvus » Mon 12 Nov, 2012 9:26 pm

G'day Ent,
It is corvus not Corvus.

Not exactly sure what you are looking for however when we first did it back then Cathedral it was just with Map and Compass (even the crossing up to Grail Falls was not easy to pick up) :shock: got halted at Chalice with deep snow and retreated :( ,so lets change direction and come from down up on anther day :)
Next attempt was in summer and from Wadley's three Adults and five under 14 year olds up to Bishops with the assistance of " fallen log tracks" well this is is the big test do we look for the "track" that corvus had suspected may be there or what :?:
Yes sidle left to the creek scrub bash down the creek to an an obvious under log diversion and wowsers there was a track marker so down hill and home :lol:

Not so much so when we attempted this as Strollers but we did end up at the Log Bridge on the Mersey :lol:
No electronic devises were used on these first trips and relied on nous and ability to pick north from south :)
corvus
Last edited by corvus on Mon 12 Nov, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Nuts » Mon 12 Nov, 2012 9:43 pm

and then i think we just waded across.. I don't like logs, especially over flooded rivers.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby chapman » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 1:23 am

Just to correct some misinformation

Junction and Meston Huts were built by Dick Reed around 1970 as PRIVATE huts for exclusive use for himself and his friends. Hence why they were small and they were kept locked. Evenetually the group gave up on keeping them locked and they became open huts. They were not designed for local bushwalkers to use. At one stage there was a debate about removing them and perhaps that is what should have happened. A simialr issue exists for some other illegally built huts elsewhere on the central plateau. Personally I prefer to stay away from these huts and camp elsewhere and there are plenty of campsites if you look. If you are carrying tents as you should be then I suggest plan your trip this way, that way it does not matter if the hut is ocupied or not when you pass it.
chapman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby geoskid » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 6:23 am

It's a mistake to assume that anyone using a Guide Book to help with the planning of a trip is in anyway incompetent, or not planning a trip sufficiently. It can indicate that they are interested in learning as much about an area as possible.

If these Guide Books encourage people to get into Bushwalking or help existing Bushwalkers walk more widely, I see that as a good thing. I also encourage self reliance and informed confidence to gain experience first hand, rather than spoon feeding and hand holding. When experience is gained this way, you simply don't care that tracks on Tasmaps might be out by a few metres.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tas-man » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 9:02 am

Some previous discussions of this topic with photos here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5801
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:41 am

geoskid wrote:It's a mistake to assume that anyone using a Guide Book to help with the planning of a trip is in anyway incompetent, or not planning a trip sufficiently. It can indicate that they are interested in learning as much about an area as possible.

If these Guide Books encourage people to get into Bushwalking or help existing Bushwalkers walk more widely, I see that as a good thing. I also encourage self reliance and informed confidence to gain experience first hand, rather than spoon feeding and hand holding. When experience is gained this way, you simply don't care that tracks on Tasmaps might be out by a few metres.

Too true. I consider myself to be a moderately experienced walker, but if going somewhere I've not walked before, Chapman's SWT book (or similar) is a really useful tool. The best thing is to have somebody who knows the route well walking with you. The next best thing is to have good notes from somebody who's been there, whether it be by email, forum, or paperback.

Having said that, I also like to get out and explore some areas without getting all the information first. But I sometimes regret it because I miss the easier routes and spend ages struggling through the difficult route just nearby.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby hikingoz » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 4:29 pm

chapman wrote:Just to correct some misinformation

Junction and Meston Huts were built by Dick Reed around 1970 as PRIVATE huts for exclusive use for himself and his friends. Hence why they were small and they were kept locked. Evenetually the group gave up on keeping them locked and they became open huts. They were not designed for local bushwalkers to use. At one stage there was a debate about removing them and perhaps that is what should have happened. A simialr issue exists for some other illegally built huts elsewhere on the central plateau. Personally I prefer to stay away from these huts and camp elsewhere and there are plenty of campsites if you look. If you are carrying tents as you should be then I suggest plan your trip this way, that way it does not matter if the hut is ocupied or not when you pass it.

When I visited these huts I felt that they were more recreational than historical (around 1970's) and that the age of them didn't really justify preservation. Also the brandings burnt and carved into the timbers display a level of "ownership" not really fitting for a national park.

That being said I did use them both. There is always an argument for emergency shelters in alpine areas.
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby tigercat » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 6:20 pm

I really like the huts and think they are very useful in winter. Meston hut is particularly characterful and the fireplace is still intact.
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby corvus » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 6:52 pm

Love these Huts (built prior to National Park inclusion of the area and just as important as examples of hut building skills heritage) however last time I went through Meston was in a disregardful state with lots of rubbish left :x Junction on the other hand was clean neat and tidy is this perhaps because Meston is not as difficult to access :?:
Despite some comment I do not belive that existing huts were illegally built after NP registration nor were those in WH areas when built.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Genesis » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 7:33 pm

corvus,

Off the topic a bit, I have read Chapmans description of the Moses creek track however this was written some time ago and I would imagine there has been quite a lot more traffic along this track since.
What is the track like now ? have you walked it recently? Chapman describes it as tortuous... is this a fair description of the track ?

Genesis
Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 8:41 pm

G'day Genesis,
It is an obvious track (not really scrubby may be for some) nor espesially dificult till you get to the crossing down from Chapter ((deep creek )) (head down stream a bit and you may find a better crossing) from there you should pick up the pad /track but no real worry as it is down the creek /valley and you will not get lost :)
Corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Genesis » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 8:57 pm

corvus,

Thanks for that, just finalising my next walk planning and wanted to get some recent info about the track. :)

Genesis
Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 4:13 pm

Using this thread as a launch point - has anyone been to the clearing marked as Never Never Lookout - and can you see anything from there?
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 5:07 pm

The one above Clarke Falls? The pad goes through that, doesn't it? It's hard to get a clear view of Clarke from above, too much fagus in the way and the spur can be slippery and loose.

Can't find the line on GoogleEarth. Will have to fire up the laptop.

edit:: no, it doesn't. Lower ground around where you,d have to peel off is a bit scrubby, from memory. Given the extra height you should get a decent view of Junction and the Mersey downstream from the falls, if the vegetation isn't too high. Must go back and have a look.
Last edited by north-north-west on Wed 20 Feb, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby eggs » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 5:16 pm

Its a few 100m further up/north from where I imagine the Never Never pad goes down.
I am more interested in a view down the valley and possibly seeing Feather Falls from there.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 5:22 pm

Angles don't look promising, But it's possible. It would be a good route up to Convent Hill, however, and from there around to the top of the falls...
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 6:40 pm

north-north-west wrote: if the vegetation isn't too high. Must go back and have a look.

Periscope? My camera has a swivel screen, put the camera on the tripod and hold it up for a higher view. Every bit helps.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Tasmania