Conditions on Mt Rufus

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Conditions on Mt Rufus

Postby bluewombat » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 3:59 pm

Just curious if anyone had been up on Rufus in the last few days, I was thinking about walking up there tomorrow and down to Shadow lake.....but if the snow is too deep, I might take the low road
cheers
BW
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Conditions on Mt Rufus

Postby MJD » Mon 08 Sep, 2008 11:37 pm

Drove to Lake St Clair on Saturday (to drop a car off before heading up to Dove Lake) and there looked to be quite a lot of snow on Rufus. At Cradle it rained heavily on Saturday night followed by snow on Sunday up on the Cradle Plateau so Rufus may have got a bit more as well.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Conditions on Mt Rufus

Postby Fizzygood » Wed 10 Sep, 2008 5:57 am

I reckon it would still look much the same as this (taken a few weeks ago now) :)
Attachments
P7260003.JPG
Fizzygood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Conditions on Mt Rufus...and Little Hugel

Postby bluewombat » Wed 10 Sep, 2008 7:08 pm

Well, we walked up to the Shadowlake turn off on the Rufus track, looked at how much snow there was on Rufus and then went down to Shadow. We did actually walk (I use that term loosely as really there was more grovelling stumbling and swearing than walking) up to Little Hugel late in the afternoon Tuesday. Deep snow, no track visible just markers and difficult going. The snow pack is rotten in places (ie disappear up to your waist) and the summit boulders too icy to take a chance climbing so would suggest this walk will be much more fun in a month or so.
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania