Meston to Chinamans Plains

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Meston to Chinamans Plains

Postby Robbo » Sat 23 Aug, 2008 8:02 pm

Hello All

Does anyone know of a route from the northern end of Lake Meston area up onto Chinamans Plains? It appears to be a possibility looking on the maps and google earth, but it is always different on the ground, as we all know.

This end of Meston, with its beaches and aspect looking down the lake, is one of the great camp spots in the area.

Any comments or information will be much appreciated

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Re: Meston to Chinamans Plains

Postby DaveNoble » Sat 23 Aug, 2008 11:36 pm

Hi Tony

I have never done that route - but I know it is not too far - so it should I think be a feasible route. The scrub up high is not too bad - so perhaps there is a good route down. If so - then it would be a very nice trip.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby NickD » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 1:06 pm

Howdy
We traversed from Ada to Meston in 2005 with a medium sized party, so we hiked from Three Arm Lake to Lake Meston via lakes Penah & Toorah and popped out of the scrub just north of Meston.
The walking was fairly clear and open, although it was dense low vegetation after Penah, and for about five hundred metres as we descended to the flat north of Meston it became very thick tea tree scrub which took more effort.
It depends on whether you take the north end or south end of Meston, I haven't headed east from the southern end but on maps it looks a little more open.

Hope that answers some questions, its pretty cool up there. Worth a couple of scratches at least anyways.
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Robbo » Tue 26 Aug, 2008 5:06 pm

Thanks for this info, NB, all very useful to put in the memory bank. I'm looking to explore that area a little early in January next year, so any information will be of use.

Thanks again

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rucksack » Sat 30 Aug, 2008 10:21 pm

I haven't gone up onto Chinaman's Plains from the northern end of Lake Meston, but I have wandered south right across Chinaman's Plains from Lake Ball. We walked as far south as Lake Olive via Lake Nugara and Three Arm Lake, then headed west to Lake Malbena and up to Triangle Lake before dropping down on top of Junction Lake. We struck that thick band of tea tree too (on the way off Chinaman's Plains), but otherwise, it was a very pleasant amble. If you headed up from the northern end of Meston, once you are on top, the navigation is easy.
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Robbo » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 9:37 am

rucksack wrote:to Triangle Lake before dropping down on top of Junction Lake. We struck that thick band of tea tree too (on the way off Chinaman's Plains)

Thanks Rucksack - BTW, where is Shanghai, other than China?

All such information is helpful to me. It seems there is scrub to work through no matter which way you head once you get closer to Ling Roth Lakes and the Mersey.

Thanks again

Tony Robinson
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rucksack » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 10:48 am

Shanghai is indeed in China and me with it!

Barry
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Robbo » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 1:53 pm

rucksack wrote:Shanghai is indeed in China and me with it!

Well Barry, that's great. You holidaying, been over there for the Olympics, or work there and visit Tassie in your holidays? I note that you've been a member for a while but haven't used the forum that much.

But, thanks again for the information and hope to catch you in the bush some time.

Tony
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 3:24 pm

I've walked from the North end of Lake Meston up the ridge to the east and along the edge of the plateau of Chinamans Plains just east of Lake Meston (only for a short distance). As posted in reply to a PM earlier, I thought I may as well add this to the public forum too...

My original plan was to do a long day walk through Chinamans Plains, or at least to Triangle Lake, from the hut at Lake Meston. However, I ended up being a bit crook that weekend (the tail end of a nasty flu), and was not up to doing a big walk that day.

I did still manage a reasonable day walk in the general area, albeit somewhat smaller than what I'd originally intended...

Most of the route I walked is marked approximately (no GPS) on the attached map. I returned via a slightly different route (closer to the top of the ridge beside the lake), but it was more difficult, due to a couple of deep gullies to cross.

Climbing up from the lake was a bit thick and scrubby, but not as bad as I'd expected. When returning down that same slope, I thought I was taking much the same route, but it turned out to be very scrubby indeed, and very difficult to get through. So you have to take your luck a bit as to which route you find, but it's certainly achievable at least as far as marked on the attached map. Once up, it is mostly open and easy as far as the eye can see.

So the thick scrubby section I bashed through matches in with what others have said here. But the density of the vegetation varies a lot depending on exactly where you ascend the ridge.

I hope all this helps!
Attachments
Meston to Chinamans.png
Meston to Chinamans.png (346.81 KiB) Viewed 5074 times
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby rucksack » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 4:38 pm

Tony, I live here in Shanghai. Have for some time. I come down to Tasmania 2 or 3 times a year. Did a solo to Federation in January this year (great weather the whole time and spectacular views of course, just pity about the burnt bits on the Arthur Plains). I have been fairly well over most of Tasmania over the past 30 years ... first trip was in 1977. I'm keener on off-track, but not stubborn about it. I do walk here in China too. Belong to a club in Shanghai. Their walks program is different(!) They include 6,000m and 7,000m peaks (mainly Sichuan & Tibet) in their normal walks program. Puts a whole different perspective on club walks, that's for sure. Anyway, maybe we'll bump into each other some time. Regards, Barry
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Robbo » Sun 31 Aug, 2008 6:40 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:I've walked from the North end of Lake Meston up the ridge to the east and along the edge of the plateau of Chinamans Plains

Thanks for posting this information, Nik. It is most helpful to me, and maybe of interest or use to others.

rucksack wrote:Did a solo to Federation in January this year (great weather the whole time and spectacular views of course

Thanks for this, Barry. My son and I did the Western Arthurs Traverse in early January this year, and yes the weather was magnificent - and the burnt bits were saddening, putting a 'downer' on the walk back to Junction Creek. But I guess we can't have it both ways... the payback for getting so much 'good' weather is dry and fire-prone bush and grasslands which burn well when lightening strikes.

Thanks again

Tony Robinson
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania