Western vs Eastern Arthurs

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western vs Eastern Arthurs

Postby ryan77munro » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 5:09 pm

Hi All,

I am interested in people's thoughts on the difference in exposure between the Eastern vs Western Arthurs.

I completed the Eastern Arthurs traverse back in 07 and thoroughly enjoyed it and now I'm planning to complete the Western Arthurs traverse. I found parts of the southern traverse and climbing up Geeves window pretty full on but in the end completed it without any issues.

How does this compare with to say the descents down Lake Oberion or Mt Capricorn?

Thanks
ryan77munro
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Western vs Eastern Arthurs

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 06 Jul, 2015 11:55 pm

I assume you are taking about climbing exposure rather than exposure to the elements?

I think the section you mention on the Southern Traverse is worse that anything you will find in the Western Arthurs (unless you go off route - which does happen). Most WA exposure is more like what you get in the Four Peaks or at the top of Luckmans Lead. Parts of the traverse near Mt Capricorn and the Pegasus are a bit exposed.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby hobbitle » Tue 07 Jul, 2015 5:55 am

I agre with DaveNoble.
Some of the descents are very very steep and slow but there was only one time where there was a fairly serious downclimb with not much to save you if you were to slip and fall backwards. And even so there was a fair bit of vegetation in your way.
WAs was totally amazing, just keep a sharp eye out for cairns and rocks blocking the old portions of the trail. If you miss these you could end up in some hairy spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ryan77munro » Tue 07 Jul, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks Dave, Yes talking about climbing exposure etc..
ryan77munro
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby roysta » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 3:10 pm

Through the Beggary Bumps is the place for the exposure
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 3:21 pm

Descent of Capricorn and the split rock on Taurus were the worst for me. Beggaries didn't bother me - maybe just because it was foggy enough for me to not see how exposed it was.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby biggbird » Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:59 am

I remember going up Pegasus + coming down Taurus (split rock as NNW mentioned) were the more exposed bits for me. Buggeries weren't too bad, just sustained. We did manage to get lost briefly on The Dragon though, picking the wrong descent gully, which turned fairly slippery fairly quick, and essentially was a chute to nothing... Bit of fun climbing back up the muddy sides!

Personally, I didn't mind coming down off Capricorn too much, though it does look very improbable when looking back at it! Probably helps that I am 6'4"ish, with consequently longer legs than others. Taurus wasn't so much exposed as that it just required us to take off packs and lower them, with some fairly easy downclimbing. Others may be more comfortable with packs on.
biggbird

Postby pazzar » Fri 10 Jul, 2015 1:13 pm

biggbird wrote:I remember going up Pegasus + coming down Taurus (split rock as NNW mentioned) were the more exposed bits for me. Buggeries weren't too bad, just sustained. We did manage to get lost briefly on The Dragon though, picking the wrong descent gully, which turned fairly slippery fairly quick, and essentially was a chute to nothing... Bit of fun climbing back up the muddy sides!

Personally, I didn't mind coming down off Capricorn too much, though it does look very improbable when looking back at it! Probably helps that I am 6'4"ish, with consequently longer legs than others. Taurus wasn't so much exposed as that it just required us to take off packs and lower them, with some fairly easy downclimbing. Others may be more comfortable with packs on.

So I'm not the only one that had route finding issues on The Dragon!

I found the Pegasus ascent a little tricky, but I was solo, and the rock squeeze is tricky with a pack on. I wasn't worried by any of the Beggaries, just allow plenty of time. Capricorn was fun - I imagine it could be quite precarious in bad weather, but it was dry when I came down it. I found the whole traverse much easier than the Eastern Arthurs though (I did cross from Hanging Lake to Stuart Saddle in a hail/snow storm though, and injured my back in the process). Western Arthurs are definitely up there with the best multi-day walks I have done in Tassie - enjoy it, and hopefully the weather gods are with you!
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania