Gov's biggest fuel reduction burn in states history

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Gov's biggest fuel reduction burn in states history

Postby north-north-west » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 8:58 am

grant evans wrote:Richb,
You talk about a corrupt government, show us the corruption.

I don't want to get into a big political argument, but he may just be referring to the unhealthy relationship that existed between certain individuals and the Gunns Corporation.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby grant evans » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 9:29 am

Was someone within the current government convicted of corruption?
If not why is this relevant to the current conversation?
grant evans
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RichB » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 5:19 pm

Oh come on Australia has one of the most corrupt govt in the western world, havent you noticed?...As for PWS just go and have a look at Rocky Cape national Park especially the western end...Most of it is a blackened,burnt landscape and why..There is a small settlement there, so have they caused all this damage to the landscape and incinerated countless wildlife that cant escape,just to protect this small settlement of huts?...Why the hell do they allow humans to live and build houses in national Parks anyway, its pathetic. Why would tourists want to visit a national park in Tassie that is just totally burnt..My opinion of the Australian/Tasmanian Govt is that they are amongst the worst in the western world when it comes to the environment and wildlife and are probably on par with most 3rd world Govts...
RichB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 5:23 pm

RichB wrote:Oh come on Australia has one of the most corrupt govt in the western world, havent you noticed?...As for PWS just go and have a look at Rocky Cape national Park especially the western end...Most of it is a blackened,burnt landscape and why..There is a small settlement there, so have they caused all this damage to the landscape and incinerated countless wildlife that cant escape,just to protect this small settlement of huts?...Why the hell do they allow humans to live and build houses in national Parks anyway, its pathetic. Why would tourists want to visit a national park in Tassie that is just totally burnt..My opinion of the Australian/Tasmanian Govt is that they are amongst the worst in the western world when it comes to the environment and wildlife and are probably on par with most 3rd world Govts...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 5:56 pm

Wow!

RichB, i dont suppose you blame the govt for lightening too do you?

Travis.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby grant evans » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 6:21 pm

I ask again where's the proof, show me the facts, back up the rant with facts, otherwise it's just more blah,blah, blah.
grant evans
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby geoskid » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 6:59 pm

north-north-west wrote:
RichB wrote:Oh come on Australia has one of the most corrupt govt in the western world, havent you noticed?...As for PWS just go and have a look at Rocky Cape national Park especially the western end...Most of it is a blackened,burnt landscape and why..There is a small settlement there, so have they caused all this damage to the landscape and incinerated countless wildlife that cant escape,just to protect this small settlement of huts?...Why the hell do they allow humans to live and build houses in national Parks anyway, its pathetic. Why would tourists want to visit a national park in Tassie that is just totally burnt..My opinion of the Australian/Tasmanian Govt is that they are amongst the worst in the western world when it comes to the environment and wildlife and are probably on par with most 3rd world Govts...

Yeah, where do you start.
Too hard. Unfortunately. :(
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Postby corvus » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 7:07 pm

From memory the Shacks were there well before Rocky Cape was declared a National Park .
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby geoskid » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 7:46 pm

corvus wrote:From memory the Shacks were there well before Rocky Cape was declared a National Park .

Yes, theres's that.
Does that change your thinking at all Rich?
geoskid

Postby icefest » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 11:42 am

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2014/results

Australia last year was 11th least corrupt out of 175.

What do you base your assertion on?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby RichB » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 5:43 pm

Sorry but all I can say is bahaaaaaaa
RichB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby RichB » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 5:44 pm

geoskid wrote:
north-north-west wrote:

You could start by thinking a little bit differently from the herd?
RichB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby geoskid » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 6:41 pm

RichB wrote:
geoskid wrote:

You could start by thinking a little bit differently from the herd?

Sure, I'm all for that, but thinking should still be constrained by facts and reason.
geoskid

Postby AndyP » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:10 pm

The problem is that the govts election promise was to burn 5% of public land per annum. This was based on the Victorain governments response to Black Saturday. However, its a low resolution, blanket approach which has proved almost completely unworkable in Victoria. Theoretically all public land should be burnt once every 20 years. Some high value areas can't be burnt at all. Others should only be burnt very rarely. This will mean that other areas need to be burnt more frequently to meet the target, resulting in adverse ecological outcomes.

The government needs to move to a more targetted, high resolution policy. There was some positive noise in the this regard from Rene Hidding, but Matt Groom (the minister responsible) has said that the 5% target stands. AND Parks are supposed to implement this despite severe funding cuts!
AndyP
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Taurë-rana » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 11:06 pm

This explains the multiple fires on the western side of the Dial Range yesterday, but what surprised me was the number of patches of burnt treetops.Fuel reduction I can understand but would have thought it would be kept to ground level.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:42 am

No matter how careful you are, fires get out of control occasionally. What you've seen is probably counted as 'collateral damage'.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RichB » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 6:37 pm

They are state govt arsonists pure and simple..Its their job to light fires, they get paid to do what they are told.and they have no thought of the environmental damage they are doing and the damage to peoples health..
RichB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby RichB » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 6:40 pm

I read that they have just set fire YET AGAIN to Narawntapu National Park, a place of natural beauty and lots of wildlife..Must be one of the only countries in the world that burns national parks, killing untold amounts of wildlife....what a joke this useless Govt and it navvies are..
RichB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tastrax » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 7:20 pm

I suggest you write to your local member of parliament rather than just ranting on here. You are not really putting forward any credible research to back your arguments.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby tastrax » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 7:24 pm

Taurë-rana wrote:This explains the multiple fires on the western side of the Dial Range yesterday, but what surprised me was the number of patches of burnt treetops.Fuel reduction I can understand but would have thought it would be kept to ground level.

Unfortunately mid and upper level fuels also need to be reduced if you really want to slow major fires. It's generally not planned to reduce upper level fuels but if conditions are favourable then some fuels in these ranges may be reduced.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby corvus » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 7:42 pm

Well said tt,
This poster Br would rather save a Wombat than a Child from a fire :roll: and has absolutely no idea of preventative fire management ,more to be pitied than scolded I feel :)
The fire management was at the Northern end of the Park to protect the Human element who live in the Greens Beach area I believe.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby SteveJ » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 11:25 am

why not be nice to each other.
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RichB » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 7:01 pm

corvus wrote:Well said tt,
This poster Br would rather save a Wombat than a Child from a fire :roll: and has absolutely no idea of preventative fire management ,more to be pitied than scolded I feel :)
The fire management was at the Northern end of the Park to protect the Human element who live in the Greens Beach area I believe.

What makes you think and who told you a Wombats life was any less important than a childs.?..Looking forward to your pitiful answer actually?
I have no idea about preventative fire management in Tasmania, maybe not..but neither to PWS the pros??
Another smog ridden NW AGAIN today....Bet the people suffering from lung conditions love that, and of course all the wildlife that is incinerated or
pushed further out into human habitation to be shot or run over on our roads...You know what I pity you...
RichB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MrWalker » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 7:16 pm

I'd expect that in small fire a wombat can hide in a burrow for a while and wallabies can run away. Whereas a big fire is going to kill everything.
So let's campaign for more small burns to avoid big fires and we'll save the wombats.
MrWalker

Postby corvus » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 8:33 pm

RichB wrote:
corvus wrote:Well said tt,

What makes you think and who told you a Wombats life was any less important than a childs.?..Looking forward to your pitiful answer actually?
I have no idea about preventative fire management in Tasmania, maybe not..but neither to PWS the pros??
Another smog ridden NW AGAIN today....Bet the people suffering from lung conditions love that, and of course all the wildlife that is incinerated or
pushed further out into human habitation to be shot or run over on our roads...You know what I pity you...

Postby RichB » Thu 26 Mar, 2015 7:59 pm

"What about this scenario "bush fire" you have the choice of saving a Child or a Wombat or Devil or Tree what would your choice be ??"...My choice would be the Wombat or the Devil.. They are an endangered species which the human race plague certainly is not..Who says to you their lives are any less valuable than a human beings?? who..the Govt?

Your words I believe :lol:

If you cannot remember what you post I suggest you do some revision especially that you are now concerned about "the human race plague" people with health concerns , no smog in Devonport and I could only just see the Smoke over Badger Head on Tuesday also the road network in the area of the burn off has little traffic.

I am glad you feel pity for me as I am an animal loving older person (Wallabies,Bandicoots,Brush tails ,Ring tails ,Skinks,Blue Tongues,and Long Tailed Mice) all share my organic Suburban Garden which I am now finding harder to maintain as a result of my many Ailments,what is your excuse for your Rants.
Last edited by corvus on Wed 15 Apr, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby geoskid » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 8:43 pm

RichB wrote:What makes you think and who told you a Wombats life was any less important than a childs.?..Looking forward to your pitiful answer .

It's an evolutionary thing. Of course , there is no "who" that dictates these things.
Looking backwards at these sorts of questions is fraught with traps. Work up from somewhere around the start of primates and it all falls into place (you do need to put some effort into understanding the basics of evolution though.)
There is plenty of room for outlyers in a population though.
geoskid

Postby north-north-west » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 9:03 am

MrWalker wrote:I'd expect that in small fire a wombat can hide in a burrow for a while and wallabies can run away. Whereas a big fire is going to kill everything.
So let's campaign for more small burns to avoid big fires and we'll save the wombats.

Over-simplified, but essentially my attitude. One cannot guarantee complete safety for all wildlife, but the small mosaic burns as done by Aboriginal people for millennia are far better than occasional very big hot fires.
You don't do it everywhere, but there are areas where it's the best option. Unless you'd like to depopulate the entire continent.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 10:30 am

So long as not random or adhoc.
Areas burnt that haven't been, then policy changes with government changes/ being held to a political numbers rather than a scientific ones, a single fire that gets where it's not meant to then there are actually people who just love fires :) .. even as a career, even arsonists found within our services.. I too think the park service/fire crew, at least, does a great job. I wonder if they need to use general park staff for the additional burns?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 02 May, 2015 7:04 pm

I may say more about this in future but, having been up close and personal with some of this current series of burns, there needs to be a serious rethink of the procedures.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Tasmania