Food Drop.

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Food Drop.

Postby belay bill » Sat 20 Dec, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi Ya all, was wondering if anyone knew details on how to organise a food drop. Will be doing the overland track early Feb 2015 and plan to spend 14 days on the track including a couple of days at Pine Valley. Was thinking of maybe a drop at Pelion or Narcissus. Any details or what people have organised in the past appreciated. Belay Bill.
belay bill
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Food Drop.

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 22 Dec, 2014 6:37 pm

As far as I know it is considered rubbish in a NP and not allowed to leave food drops.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby dplanet » Mon 22 Dec, 2014 7:38 pm

If planning to travel in with the Lake St Clair Ferry, you may try to negotiate with them. Good luck.
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby GraemeSpedding » Mon 22 Dec, 2014 8:15 pm

Surely PWS will do it for you in one of their " wilderness" helicopters- when they are doing a gas/ coal / worker / timber....rubbish .... flight.
Or maybe the private huts people might oblige?
"Dare your genius to walk the Wild Uncharted Way" B. Courtney
GraemeSpedding
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby corvus » Mon 22 Dec, 2014 8:22 pm

belay bill wrote:Hi Ya all, was wondering if anyone knew details on how to organise a food drop. Will be doing the overland track early Feb 2015 and plan to spend 14 days on the track including a couple of days at Pine Valley. Was thinking of maybe a drop at Pelion or Narcissus. Any details or what people have organised in the past appreciated. Belay Bill.

G'day bb,
Any food drop for a Private walk will be difficult and or expensive,I could possibly organise a food drop into Pelion for you to meet on a specific day however this would be a return trip of walking for at least 7 hours return plus at least 3 hours back and return driving from Devonport to track head all at a minimum of $25.00 per hour all depending on weights (would need to spend the night at Pelion at minimal cost to you say $250 .00)does this appeal.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby stry » Tue 23 Dec, 2014 10:54 am

I think it would be fair to say that most people carry 7 to 8 days food for the OLT at perhaps 750 to 900 grams per head per day.

An extra six days is only 4.5 to 5.5kgs. For me, an extra gas canister would also be needed, which is no biggy.,

I would simply look hard at safe ways to reduce my planned per day food weight, suck it up, and carry the extra. After two or three days, you will notice your pack getting lighter :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby corvus » Tue 23 Dec, 2014 5:36 pm

stry wrote:I think it would be fair to say that most people carry 7 to 8 days food for the OLT at perhaps 750 to 900 grams per head per day.

An extra six days is only 4.5 to 5.5kgs. For me, an extra gas canister would also be needed, which is no biggy.,

I would simply look hard at safe ways to reduce my planned per day food weight, suck it up, and carry the extra. After two or three days, you will notice your pack getting lighter :D

Good suggestion stry
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby belay bill » Fri 02 Jan, 2015 2:27 pm

I would say thankfully I am nothing like you, not sadly ILUVSWTAS.
belay bill
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby flyfisher » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 2:07 pm

belay bill wrote:I would say thankfully I am nothing like you, not sadly ILUVSWTAS

Nice second post, not.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby stry » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 5:39 pm

belay bill wrote:I would say thankfully I am nothing like you, not sadly ILUVSWTAS.

Que ???
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 8:00 pm

belay bill wrote:I would say thankfully I am nothing like you, not sadly ILUVSWTAS.

LOL. 6000+ and i'd agree.
He's right though, there are a lot of old food drops left to rot. Found, park staff will very likely treat them as rubbish.
If they are labeled with owner details & dated it would be less likely, though still get someone upset.

Corvus is also on to something, it can be done through commercial operators meeting you, on the days needed, perhaps with fresh food..

14 days- sweet :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mowser » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 9:19 pm

You will struggle big big time with a food drop on the overland. From experience (i was a guide there for cradle huts for 7 years) your best bet is to walk the drop in via arm river yourself as an overnighter (i've done this a few times myself for personal trips). Parks will not fly stuff in for you and neither will Cradle Huts. Hang it in a tree (and stash a few beers in douglas creek for a nice treat!). Even in remote south west tassie, outside of melaleuca it is very hard to get an 'authorised air drop' these days. At 14 days, with the correct planning and prep, it is possible to carry food for the whole journey but you are at the limit of comfortability. I would advise an Arm River walk in if you can afford the time, or try to have someone 'do a walk in' to meet you. Enjoy the walk!

Cheers,
Mowser
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 10:13 pm

G'day bb,
You have not mentioned how many of you will be doing this Walk and thinking that you want to spend around 14 days on the track re stocking at Pelion as you are only into day 3 would not really be helpful I believe ,perhaps meeting up at the Pine Valley Track junction would be a better alternative ? :) would be a lot more expensive(add ferry fares ) but doable .
Upon reflection if you want to spend 14 days, walk the full track via the Lake side and Echo Point re stock(basics only) at Lake StClair then re trace your steps or Ferry back to Narcissus then in to Pine Valley ,would be by far the most economic solution IMHO :)
Just a thought.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Mark F » Sun 04 Jan, 2015 11:29 am

I think Corvus has the right idea. You could arrange for the boat to bring it to Narcissus - just radio in when you get there and it should be on the next boat.

Remember that if stashing a food drop it needs to be in vermin proof containers and all your rubbish and containers need to be promptly removed from the park after the walk. If you ever saw the pile of empty food drop tins at High Moor when air drops were allowed you would understand why.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Tasmania