Feral Cats Winter/Spring 2014

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Feral Cats Winter/Spring 2014

Postby Dolerite Walker » Tue 21 Oct, 2014 8:40 pm

Recent sightings:

The Needles (near Tim Shea), early afternoon: black cat
Adamsfield Track, early evening: tabby
Mt Field, near Seal Lake lookout, mid morning: black cat
Mt Wellington Big Bend fire trail, mid morning: tortoiseshell
Lake St Clair, 1 hour's walk along the lake from Cynthia Bay, early a'noon: black cat

All of them knew they were out of reach. Frustrating.
250 000 in Tasmania is the estimate.

Any others to report?
Dolerite Walker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Feral Cats Winter/Spring 2014

Postby pazzar » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 7:44 am

I saw a black cat on Lake Dobson Rd, not far down from the Mt Field East track. This was in August.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Iman Oldie » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 1:30 pm

Seen a healthy looking large black cat on the north side of Duck Reach Power Station a few days ago.
Iman Oldie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ant_eater » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:26 pm

Got a glimpse of a large cat on scotts peak road last month. :(
ant_eater
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Northern Territory

Postby dunamis » Thu 13 Nov, 2014 6:47 am

It's a pity bush walkers can't apply for a special license to carry a .22 for feral cat control in national parks
dunamis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby TheGhostWhoWalks » Sun 23 Nov, 2014 3:27 pm

Expect the gov't to do absolutely nothing regarding feral cats.
They have made a pretense with the Cat Management Act, which pretty much neuters anyone who wants to control the buggers.
Shooting one or one hundred cats will make absolutely no difference in the grand scheme of things.
A cat flu or similar that can wipe out thousands after registered moggies have been vaccinated is one of the only realistic options.
Baiting and trapping are expensive and unrealistic on the ground.
And the mythical fox is still consuming vital funds for serious pest management in this state.
That's my moment on the soap box :-)
TheGhostWhoWalks
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby headwerkn » Fri 05 Dec, 2014 9:30 pm

Here's two that didn't get away...

image.jpg
image.jpg (212.21 KiB) Viewed 6289 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (209.61 KiB) Viewed 6289 times

Have seen a few more about the place but not as many as in previous years. 'tis a good thing.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby headwerkn » Fri 05 Dec, 2014 9:47 pm

dunamis wrote:It's a pity bush walkers can't apply for a special license to carry a .22 for feral cat control in national parks

Recreational hunting of pest species should be allowed in non-traffic'd areas of national parks and other protected reserves, as they do in Victoria and NSW already. Feral animals do not respect private land and state forest boundaries.... national parks, protected conservation areas and WHAs inadvertently became safe havens for cats, rabbits, deer, etc. to multiply and impact heavily on native species.
headwerkn

Postby headwerkn » Sat 06 Dec, 2014 9:00 pm

TheGhostWhoWalks wrote:Shooting one or one hundred cats will make absolutely no difference in the grand scheme of things.

Disagree. At a local area level, a couple of people shooting regularly can make a meaningful impact. When I came to the property I'm on now, rabbits were everywhere, cats were seen regularly, bandicoots rarely seen as were quolls. Four years on, it's the other way around... bandicoots everywhere (they tear apart my front lawn), plenty of quolls, maybe see a feral cat once a month or two and as for rabbits, well there's still the odd one kicking about but I haven't had rabbit pie in a while now ;-)

Of course what's needed are a majority of landowners putting in the effort to control pests on their own properties - too many can't/won't/don't do enough - as well as in state forests and other public areas. If the government wants to get involved, then coordinating a farmer assist program to help get urban based hunters out on their properties and help them do the work. Many city based hunters are all too keen to help, getting access to properties is always a sticking point. A formal program could help to weed out the 1% of *&^%$#@! who scare off landowners, as well as coordinate where effort should be places and to capture the appropriate data for analysis.

In the grand scheme of things, what's REALLY REQUIRED is actually stopping idiots from dumping unwanted kittens/cats in the bush, the muppets who feed feral populations, as well as actually getting cat owners to properly secure their pets and not let them roam.

TheGhostWhoWalks wrote:A cat flu or similar that can wipe out thousands after registered moggies have been vaccinated is one of the only realistic options.

You may well be right but I'd rather us properly evaluate a more humane solution first. A bullet to the head results in little to no pain. Dying a slow miserable death from some kind of disease certainly doesn't. I've seen too many myxo/calici'd rabbits in various stages of agony. Horrible stuff.

TheGhostWhoWalks wrote:And the mythical fox is still consuming vital funds for serious pest management in this state.

To be fair the FFTF, since their inception, have always been knocking over feral cats. They just didn't make much noise about it because you get the weirdo cat loving freaks having a whinge. At least now it's a general Invasive Species Unit though. Better late than never.
headwerkn

Postby Ally-pop » Sat 27 Dec, 2014 12:01 pm

I saw a Large Tabby cat on West Picton Spur 1 yesterday afternoon at about 3pm. Wandering down the middle of the road in broad daylight.
Ally-pop
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby skog » Sat 27 Dec, 2014 8:47 pm

Something needs to be done about the feral population, as I would drive past a flat one almost daily on my drive to work.

Perhaps it is time that PWS tackle the problem in parks as they did with feral pests on Macquarie Island (Yes I know that it will be harder) :)
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby icefest » Sat 07 Feb, 2015 7:25 pm

headwerkn wrote:In the grand scheme of things, what's REALLY REQUIRED is actually stopping idiots from dumping unwanted kittens/cats in the bush, the muppets who feed feral populations, as well as actually getting cat owners to properly secure their pets and not let them roam.

This.

Make it illegal to sell a non desexed kitten or cat. If you also make it a requirement for registration that they be desexed, then there would be fewer extra cats each year.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby corvus » Sat 07 Feb, 2015 10:06 pm

icefest wrote:
headwerkn wrote:In the grand scheme of things, what's REALLY REQUIRED is actually stopping idiots from dumping unwanted kittens/cats in the bush, the muppets who feed feral populations, as well as actually getting cat owners to properly secure their pets and not let them roam.

This.

Make it illegal to sell a non desexed kitten or cat. If you also make it a requirement for registration that they be desexed, then there would be fewer extra cats each year.

Totally agree our much loved desexed Cat does not go out side other than on a harness and lead and we have Bandicoots in the yard.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Return to Tasmania