Track off Maggs Spur 17 Goes??

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Track off Maggs Spur 17 Goes??

Postby Brown Rock » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 12:16 pm

Walked up to L McCoy earlier in year using an offshoot of this track.
Just wondering if anyone knows where the track leads to. Does it join up with 3 arm??
Brown Rock
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Track off Maggs Spur 17 Goes??

Postby corvus » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 6:52 pm

BR
Did you do this by choice or do what many have done pick the wrong lead ?? :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Brown Rock » Wed 22 Oct, 2014 8:39 pm

Planned - L McCoy then Leonis (fluff chucker). Want to explore Wurragurra system in the near future.
Have always prefered to walk in/out on a different route where possible
Normally would just go for a wander and see
But 2 young rugrats now leaves me a little more pressed for time and having to plan a little more
Brown Rock
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Senji_Man » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 9:36 pm

Isn't this the track that goes past Mt Pillinger? Last time I used this track we passed the pad that goes to the summit and then followed another pad that met the arm river track where it crosses Wurragurra Ck
Recent trips: Never Never Circuit, Turrana Circuit, Mt Field West, Overland Track (South to North), Mt Albert
Senji_Man
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 6:08 pm

Senji_Man wrote:Isn't this the track that goes past Mt Pillinger? Last time I used this track we passed the pad that goes to the summit and then followed another pad that met the arm river track where it crosses Wurragurra Ck

S_M you are correct in that however the OP hung a left not long after the start of Maggs 17 and headed (there is a pad I believe) towards Lake McCoy which is well South of Pillinger, if you have a look at the maps and to my limited knowledge of that Lake I feel that it could be an interesting wander North to meet up with the 17 close to the ART on the Wurragarra :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby pazzar » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 10:18 pm

corvus wrote:
Senji_Man wrote:Isn't this the track that goes past Mt Pillinger? Last time I used this track we passed the pad that goes to the summit and then followed another pad that met the arm river track where it crosses Wurragurra Ck

S_M you are correct in that however the OP hung a left not long after the start of Maggs 17 and headed (there is a pad I believe) towards Lake McCoy which is well South of Pillinger, if you have a look at the maps and to my limited knowledge of that Lake I feel that it could be an interesting wander North to meet up with the 17 close to the ART on the Wurragarra :)
corvus

The Lake McCoy track branches off before the Maggs track heads down through a spaghnum filled forest and back towards the road, and heads around the southern side of Pillinger IIRC. I followed this by mistake once. It was pretty vague once it opened out into grasslands. I am keen to get in there and check it out properly one day. The Pillinger track is about 10 minutes further down off the off-shoot from the ART.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dunamis » Thu 13 Nov, 2014 6:52 am

Yes I took that left branch shortly after crossing the river a couple years ago by accident and ended up in a valley South of Mt Pilenger where the track just peters out. I believe it was marked with tape by a walking club who may have camped up there. I wish they hadn't taped it because it cost me big time as we had two little ones with us and had to backtrack and only made Pelion on dark.
dunamis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PeterJ » Thu 13 Nov, 2014 1:45 pm

Basically it ends at Lake McCoy, but there is a rough track/pad that ends at the cliffs overlooking the Lees valley and with the cliffs of Cathedral plateau the other side. You can go cross country to Mount Pillinger and would eventually end up on the track to Warragurra.

You can read our trip there last year with links to photo album at http://bushwalks.blogspot.com.au/2013/1 ... inger.html
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania