Summer bushwalking options

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Summer bushwalking options

Postby Champion_Munch » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 11:55 am

Hi all,

I will have 4-5 days to spend bushwalking between Xmas and New Year with my old man, but since it's too hot in QLD around that time was hoping instead to head south. Originally was thinking NSW (my other topic here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17572) but now considering Tassie instead. I've only been there once, to do the OT a few years ago, but this will be my dad's first time. What are the best walking options with this time frame?? I imagine at this time of the year it will be mostly impossible to escape the crowds, but less touristy places would be better if possible. Happy to hire car, or (if possible) take public transport.

Would love a good multiday bushwalk but if several good day walk options are accessible from one spot then happy to do that instead. Look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Summer bushwalking options

Postby wayno » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 3:32 pm

lake st clair was great in summer when i was there in feb, had Mt rufus to myself for a day. didnt get the vast no's of day walkers at that end of the OT once i got very far from the visitor centre. theres a few track options around there. plus theres accommodation options around the road end...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby north-north-west » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 3:54 pm

Frenchman's if you're up to it. Or the Anne circuit (you'll need transport). Or head in to Pigsty/Reservoir Lakes and knock off The Hippo and La Perouse.

Or, if you hire a car, head up to the Central Plateau and just go a-ramblin'. There are umpty-dozen places to set off from, and so much space you're unlikely to see anyone away from the main centres like the Walls & the OT.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 4:24 pm

Is there a bad Tassie track at the time of the year? They are all great, as long as there's no heat wave or bushfire!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 9:35 pm

north-north-west wrote:Frenchman's if you're up to it.

Is Frenchman's considered a difficult walk? Don't get me wrong, I swear I nearly died on that summit track, but surely it couldn't be that much worse than most other Tassie alpine walks? P.S. I haven't walked the OLT.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 9:59 pm

Don't know how old the old man is.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby devoswitch » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 7:26 am

Strider wrote:

Is Frenchman's considered a difficult walk? Don't get me wrong, I swear I nearly died on that summit track, but surely it couldn't be that much worse than most other Tassie alpine walks? P.S. I haven't walked the OLT.

Frenchmans is quite a long walk isn't it to get up there? How you mean you nearly died man is she steep as?
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 8:18 am

devoswitch wrote:
Strider wrote:

Frenchmans is quite a long walk isn't it to get up there? How you mean you nearly died man is she steep as?

Steep is an understatement. We did it over three days.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 10:20 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick suggestions!

The old man is in his 50s now, so we wouldn't be looking to do anything particularly arduous. Would prefer no long slogs uphill with the packs if possible (OK for sidetrips or day tripping if we just set up a base camp somewhere). Dad doesn't do too well with exposed, rocky tracks, so from what I can see of Mt Anne and Frenchman's Cap they will be too challenging (although they look truly spectacular from the images I saw!). So I guess anything with a bit of rainforest and alpine that's not too difficult would be nice, though not sure how many options fit those requirements.

Without any knowledge of other areas in Tassie, my original thought was heading into Pine Valley from Lake St Clair and exploring that area for a day or so, but I'm not sure whether we can do that in Summer or you would need to head in from Cradle (as per requirements for OT'ers)?? What's the track up to Mt Rufus like wayno?

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Graham51 » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 10:44 am

It sounds like Pine Valley would be ideal for your requirements. It's okay to walk that section of the Overland Track without a pass. Then day walks to The Acropolis and up into The Labyrinth. It's magic.
Another possibility would be a couple of hours climb up to The Walls of Jerusalem and set up a base camp to do some day walks - Mt Jerusalem, The Temple, Solomons Throne, Lake Ball - Lake Adelaide.
Graham51
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 11:17 am

Champion_Munch wrote:Without any knowledge of other areas in Tassie, my original thought was heading into Pine Valley from Lake St Clair and exploring that area for a day or so, but I'm not sure whether we can do that in Summer or you would need to head in from Cradle (as per requirements for OT'ers)?? What's the track up to Mt Rufus like wayno?

Cheers,
Munch

I'm actually spending about 9 days in Launcestion over the same period with my better half and yet to do my own planning :roll:, but will just be a few day trips.
I think it's OK to go from LSC to Pine Valley and back but I'd check with PWS to be sure. One option is to stay in a cabin or camp at LSC and either do day trips or maybe a couple of nights at Pine Valley and have a look around the Labyrinth etc as side trips. Another nice spot to overnight is at Echo Point on the lake. I haven't specifically done Rufus but another nice day walk just below it is to Shadow Lake and Forgotten Lake. Can also be extended to go up Little Mt Hugel if inclined.
The other location I'd suggest is Walls of Jerusalem. Once on the plateau you could base camp at either Wild Dog Creek or Dixons Kingdom and do day trips to the features in the central Walls area. There is a trip report by me somewhere here from about 6 years where I did an 8 day WOJ circuit via Central Walls, and Lakes Ball, Meston, Myrtle and Bill. Nothing particularly difficult and has some amazing scenery (we did have some interesting weather). The central Walls can be popular but away from there it is much quieter.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 1:41 pm

Pine Valley would be a good go. Big plus is it's accessible with public transport, although you might want to book the bus. You can do the ferry one way and the lakeside track the other. The Acropolis is a lovely little mountain and the country reached via the Labyrinth is superb. Use the hut or camp - up in the Labyrinth if the weather's good enough: while there is a steep pitch from the forest up beside the Parthenon, it's not far and easy enough after a night at the hut. And once up there, you have a wide range of options, with both tracked and off track routes: Parthenon, Minotaur, Gould and Guardians, Walled & Macs, DuCane Range (we'll leave Geryon out of it ;) ). All beautiful country.
Plus you have the option of an extra night or two & Cynthia Bay or Derwent Bridge, and can do Rufus or some of the easier daywalks.

Just be very careful with navigation, especially if the weather goes off - it's easy to get lost up there when the clouds roll in.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 3:20 pm

Awesome... so it sounds like Walls of Jerusalem or Pine Valley are our best shots then. Which of the two is the most scenic/has best weather, or is it much of a muchness? I'd like to give dad a good impression of Tassie so that he may want to return in future haha.

Also what's the best guidebook for this region? I took Chapman's guide for the OT, but his book on Cradle Mtn Lake St Clair/Walls of Jerusalem is out of print atm.

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 5:28 pm

Much of a muchness with weather. I think the country accessed from Pine Valley is marginally better, but I may be biased.
But both are stunners as long as the weather co-operates. (note: In my experience, there's always a bit of snow around the New Year. Maybe it's just luck).

Don't know of an replacement for the Chapman book - that, Bill Wilkinson's Abels books (also out of print, as far as I know) and the maps are what I use for planning my walks in the region.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tigercat » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 6:45 am

Pine Valley is easier as a pack walk. Pine Valley is 2-3 hrs level walking from the boat. The Walls is maybe 4-5hrs and involves height gain. Pine Valley has a very good hut if you want it. 2 wonderful daytrips would be the Labyrinth and the Acropolis.
Having said all that the Walls is stunning. The Walls huts are bad weather use only.
Wilderness: restful and healing for the mind and spirit
tigercat
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Doonish » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 9:33 am

Chapman's Cradle book is still available in Tasmania at the present time - I've got copies on the shelf at Fullers Hobart.
Doonish
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Fullers Bookshop

Postby Tortoise » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 11:42 am

Champion_Munch wrote:The old man is in his 50s now, so we wouldn't be looking to do anything particularly arduous.

Hey Munch, I'm in my 50s and Federation Peak has snuck back onto my bucket list!

Would prefer no long slogs uphill with the packs if possible (OK for sidetrips or day tripping if we just set up a base camp somewhere). Dad doesn't do too well with exposed, rocky tracks, so from what I can see of Mt Anne and Frenchman's Cap they will be too challenging (although they look truly spectacular from the images I saw!). So I guess anything with a bit of rainforest and alpine that's not too difficult would be nice, though not sure how many options fit those requirements.

Reckon you're right re those 2 walks. I think the hardest thing about deciding is that you and your dad have quite different ideal walks.

What's the track up to Mt Rufus like wayno?

Rufus is a bit of a favourite of mine, though can be windy enough to blow you off your feet. Maybe to avoid some of the crowds at Pine Valley, for a much easier option, you could do the short (4km i think) gentle track and camp at Shadow Lake. There's a very good track from there up Mt Rufus, with very speccie views to Frenchman's and the SW. You can make it a circuit if you want. Or you can do it as a long day walk from Cynthia Bay. From Shadow Lake you can also do Little Hugel, though not having done it yet, I'm not sure how rocky/exposed the track can be.

If you go for Pine Valley, it's a big climb/descent up and down the Labyrinth or the Acropolis if people aren't used to it. Any idea re ideal elevation gain and distance for a day walk for your dad?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasmaniac » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 1:28 pm

I would agree with WOJ and Labyrinth as being the best of the easier options. WOJ has easier off track options, you could wander around and explore all day and not get lost and make some nice discoveries and you can feel like you've got the place to yourself. If the scoparia is in full flower it is truly spectacular. In saying that, the Labyrinth is my favourite place in Tas but I prefer to go in late April when the fagus is changing colour, but the weather isn't as good then. You'll wish you had time to do both.
Last edited by tasmaniac on Mon 01 Sep, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 3:03 pm

Re weather, the Walls are often clear while it is very heavy over the Overland Track [ie Pine Valley]
Tasmania experiences a pronounced rain shadow effect, and while the Walls are wetter than the east coast, you could expect less bad weather there than Pine Valley gets.
But the hut at Pine Valley is a great refuge and the main tracks are very good.

Just thinking about your timeframe, there is a very nice 2 day trip around the back of Cradle Mt using the Scott-Kilvert hut.
You will find tons of tourists at Cradle Valley, but if you take the track over Hansons Peak - or even better - around past Lake Hanson to Twisted Lakes, you will find the people thin out very quickly.
Yes - you will meet them again at the Overland Track and as you head back to Lake Dove, but it is spectacular country and there will be some significant parts away from the madding crowds.
If your dad can climb without a pack, you might be able to climb Barn Bluff or Cradle as well.
I'm 55 and I walk with packs over tough country to keep a bit fitter. [and take photos :) ]
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 4:42 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Champion_Munch wrote:The old man is in his 50s now, so we wouldn't be looking to do anything particularly arduous.

Hey Munch, I'm in my 50s and Federation Peak has snuck back onto my bucket list!

About to hit 57 (ouch) and Fedders comes and goes from the list depending on the state of the knee. But the Franklands and Frenchmans come first. Probably.
So many mountains. So few decent knees . . .
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Champion_Munch » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 10:17 pm

Tortoise wrote:If you go for Pine Valley, it's a big climb/descent up and down the Labyrinth or the Acropolis if people aren't used to it. Any idea re ideal elevation gain and distance for a day walk for your dad?

Distance-wise I don't think is an issue, we do 10-25 km day trips from home on a semi-frequent basis no problems. Dad has hypothyrodism with tachycardia so steep uphills can be tough and sends his heart rate skyrocketing quickly. Having said that, he did complete Everest base camp last year no trouble at all, and from memory there were significant elevation gain on some days (in excess of 1000 m?). Main concern is with carrying a heavy pack - we did an overnighter in SEQ earlier in the year that he found quite tough, though hadn't done any training with a pack prior, so might just be something that requires some training. ;)

Regarding summits - not sure how well dad will go with steep and exposed routes. When I did the OT a few years back with my girlfriend, we got about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up both Cradle and Ossa before the height/general exposed-rockiness became too much for her. Dad might not have had too much trouble with either of those but I know he's not great with heights and has avoided narrow tracks with steep drops both sides when in QLD. What would Acropolis/Labyrinth/Rufus/Walls options be like in that respect?

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stepbystep » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 10:41 pm

Acropolis has a scambly bit near the top, similar to the awkward bit at the top of the gully leading to Ossa. Only the one move. Walls/Lab/Rufus all easy peasy.

I'd recommend Pine Valley with Lab/Acrop sidetrips(more variation in landscape) and you'd still have Rufus/Little Hugel as daytrip options if you had time. Walls also a great place. Can't go wrong :)
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Champion_Munch » Sun 07 Sep, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi all,

So here is our tentative itinerary:

Day 1 - Fly Brisbane to Hobart, Tassielink to Cynthia Bay (camp o/n)
Day 2 - Ferry to Narcissus, walk into Pine Valley (day trip to Acropolis if the weather is good)
Day 3 - Day trip to Labyrinth (camp at Labyrinth if weather and fitness are looking good?)
Day 4 - Pine Valley to Echo Point
Day 5 - Echo Point to Cynthia Bay, transport to Hobart, Fly to Brisbane

If we take a charter transport instead of Tassielink for the return trip, we would have an extra day (probably we will go for this option). Has anyone had any experience with the different chartered transport groups/could recommend? With that extra day, would you recommend an extra day in Pine Valley (in case of bad weather/option for other sidetrips, although I don't have any info outside of Acropolis/Labyrinth) or do Echo Point to Mt Rufus to overnight there (if it doesn't take too long to get back from Mt Rufus to Cynthia Bay for the final day)?

Also, is it necessary to book the ferry in advance or just when we rock up at Cynthia Bay? What about the best wet weather options... should we bother doing walks to Acropolis/Labyrinth if the weather looks dodgy? Is there anything else we could do?

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RonK » Sun 07 Sep, 2014 6:38 pm

Champion_Munch wrote:Has anyone had any experience with the different chartered transport groups/could recommend?

A few years ago for an OT walk on a tight itinerary I used Base Camp Tasmania, operated by Tasmanian Wilderness Experiences. We were met at the airport and transported to the base camp at New Norfolk where we stayed overnight in the dormitory. TWE supplied our food and fuel and transported us to the trailhead next day, then collected us for the return trip. I couldn't speak more highly of the service and assistance offered by the owner Graham McLean.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby icefest » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 8:27 pm

Book the ferry in advance.
Evan is pretty agreeable for transport.

Take the map for Mt Rufus too, and then do as the weather bids you to.

Echo point hut has many furry friends, stay in the tent (or walk out in one day).
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wobbly » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 9:43 pm

I've also used Tasmanian Wilderness Expeditions and Graham was very good. But if there is just the 2 of you you might find the minimum charge for the charter each way could make a car hire cost effective and convenient. Assuming you intent to start and finish at Cynthia bay.
wobbly

Postby Champion_Munch » Sat 13 Sep, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice - I have booked transport there via Tassielink and managed to get a cheap return transport with Tasmanian Wilderness Experience because they already had 2 others doing that run at the time. We looked at hire cars, but unfortunately the week between xmas and new year is horrendously expensive.

RE: echo point hut, I was actually designing our itinerary so that we could stay a night there (camping)... we stayed our last night of the OT there and it was one of the best campsites I've ever stayed at! So beautiful at sunset. Not sure why so many people skip it to take the ferry...

What would my camping options at or near Mt Rufus be? Also, what are the options for accommodation at Lake St Clair? Would I need to book a campsite?

Cheers,
Munch
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 13 Sep, 2014 5:46 pm

For that time of year, you'd want to book a campsite if you were planning on staying at the main campground, and the earlier you book the better. You also have the option there of dormitory or cottage accommodation as well as the private cottages & pub at Derwent Bridge. There's also free camping for OT walkers at Fergy's Paddock (signposted off the OT not far north of Cynthia Bay). All depends on funds and preferences (and weather).
I can think of plenty of sheltered areas to camp below the main climb on to Rufus, as well as at Gingerbread Hut. If the weather's calm enough there's no reason you couldn't camp up on top, although you'd have to carry water. Also some good camping areas near Shadow and Forgotten Lakes on the loop track.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Champion_Munch » Sat 13 Sep, 2014 6:07 pm

Is fergy's paddock available to non-OT walkers (or ones going only as far as Pine valley)?
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DaveNoble » Sat 13 Sep, 2014 6:26 pm

Champion_Munch wrote:Is fergy's paddock available to non-OT walkers (or ones going only as far as Pine valley)?

Yes. Its basic though. Only a long drop toilet, and water from the lake. Although the Visitor Centre is only a 5 - 10 minute walk away, not too far to go for breakfast or dinner.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Tasmania