Dixons Kingdom Hut

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Dixons Kingdom Hut

Postby nothingwmn » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 8:42 pm

Hello all,
I will be doing the Walls of Jerusalem through to the Overland via the Never Never for the first time this year & am seeking advice about the best places to camp. I know camping is discouraged near Dixons Kingdom, but the hut itself looks huge... is overnight use of the hut allowed? What about some of the other small huts like Lake Meston & Junction Lake? Utilising the huts just seems to make more sense rather than causing unnecessary wear & tear on the ground from tenting.
nothingwmn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Dixons Kingdom Hut

Postby corvus » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 8:58 pm

G'day nothingwmn,
All of those Huts were really nice last time I used them however they are very popular so make sure you take a tent as they are not really that big and may well be fully occupied when you get there.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 9:06 pm

nothingwmn wrote:the hut itself looks huge

Be prepared for disappointment then. :-)

It's a beautiful hut as far as the historical nature of it is concerned, but it's very small inside, with very little in the way of creature comforts: One slab bed (that might be able to sleep 4 people who all know each other really well), a tiny table and... um... that's about it. Very little space to move around in. A great hut, but rather small, and very basic.

EDIT: Note that there are still a lot of photos around of the hut during it's "Tale of Ruby Rose" years. It was modified and substantially increased in size for shooting a movie (in a way that was rather dodgy, but looked good for the movie), and they conveniently forgot to dismantle the additions for several years. However, that extension was eventually removed, and now it's back to the basic small log-cabin section only.

There's a topic here somewhere with photos of it's various modifications over the years... Ah found it at last... Check out this post. In particular the last photo in that series which shows what it is like now (close to how it was originally). Note that most people have to duck a bit to get inside that door, and you'll get a good idea of the size of the hut.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Fri 05 Jun, 2009 9:16 pm

One thing I forgot to mention about Dixons Kingdom Hut is that the fine powdered snowwe experienced on our last trip drifted through the chinks in the hut walls.
Check out the BWT Strollers latest post .
C
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby nothingwmn » Sat 06 Jun, 2009 10:09 am

Thanks everyone for the replies! Do you think the Walls be very busy at the beginning of November?
nothingwmn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Steven » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 8:48 am

Nothingwmn

I am doing this walk (with 3 others) in early November (at this state scheduled to depart from car park on Sun 8th). We are going to walk through the Walls and then through the Never Never to the Overland Track.

I've not done this before, but like you would be interested in knowing what the weather prospects are likely to be and how hard the Never Never section is (I have seen some commentary on this site and elsewhere).

Steve
Steven
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Robbo » Mon 08 Jun, 2009 4:26 pm

Hello Nothingwmn

Dixons Kingdom should only be considered as emergency shelter, imho. The Wild Dog Creek Camping area is recommended, and has toilet facilities. As to the other huts, they sleep 4 or so, and really should only be used if they really need to be - although having said that if they are not used they will deteriorate quite quickly...

The walk from Junction Lake to OLT is reasonably easy to follow - check out the posts on this forum for a number of references to it. A mate and myself walked through this way last January.

As to numbers and weather that time of year - I'd say it will be a lottery...

Good luck and enjoy your walk.

TR
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 11 Jun, 2009 8:08 am

Agree with Robbo,
Try and stay at Wild Dog Creek as the facilites there are excellent and it will help reduce the degradation around Dixon Kingdom.

Track is pretty well marked (or obvious) through to the OT.

Enjoy the trip
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania