Made to order ultralight down quilts

Commercial posts in this forum are permitted. This forum is only visible to members. Topics deleted after 2 idle years.
Forum rules
Topics here should be bushwalking-related. Topic titles should begin with abbreviated state and/or town/suburb enclosed in square brackets IF the topic is only relevant to a particular location. Eg [TAS Hbt].

Topics posted by commercial organisations to advertise or discuss their own products or services are subject to the following additional limitations:
  • maximum of one topic per commercial organisation per week
  • posts from new or otherwise unknown advertisers may be rejected or deleted by moderators if they have any reason to think it might be spam - to be on the safe side, new advertisers can obtain permission from site admins before posting their first advertising topic
  • It must be clear that the post has been written by the organisation which produces or sells the product(s) or service(s) by filling in the "Associated Organisations" field in the user profile.

Note that any content, commercial or otherwise, which is deemed inappropriate for any reason may be deleted without notice.

Re: Made to order ultralight down quilts

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 8:28 am

MacMan wrote:I've always liked having a dark coloured bag so that it gets warmer when baked in the sun. If there's time to do so, draping it over something dark-side upwards to dry a bit before packing makes for a better second night's sleep.

Wouldn't you want to turn the bag inside out to help dry the inside out? When flipped, the black liner will be outside for the sun.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 9:08 am

Double quilts certainly sound popular and I can well understand why given the cuddle factor. Unfortunately I'm not really in a position to do any 'testing' just at the moment... Definitely something to look into down the track.

Keep the colour combos coming, it's certainly an advantage for drying in the sun to have one side a dark colour. In practice I've found the Navy, Forest Green, Brown, Purple and even the reds and blues do a good job for drying, so you don't have to go with black if you'd like something more colourful although black is the most absorbent.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby undercling-mike » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 9:17 am

GPSGuided wrote:Wouldn't you want to turn the bag inside out to help dry the inside out? When flipped, the black liner will be outside for the sun.

I think it doesn't make a big difference drying inside out or outside out. Either way you want the bag to heat through so any accumulated water evaporates away and if you don't get to do a full dry I think the remaining moisture in the fill equalises throughout pretty quickly (probably helped by the stuffing and un-stuffing process). Airing the inside out is pretty nice from time to time though.
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 1:21 pm

Looks impressive Mike. Well done.

Yours could be the quilt that tempts me to explore the dark side :lol: , particularly as I have some warmer weather trips in the offing.

Best wishes for the effort ! :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Tortoise » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 1:55 pm

undercling-mike wrote:The design has a full length differential cut and is shaped to wrap around the body a little more effectively than a standard flat quilt design and has all the features I like best in quilts:
  • Fully insulated sewn in footbox, deep enough for your feet and lower legs to feel properly enclosed in cold conditions but shallow enough that you can move feet in and out without major rearrangement in warmer conditions.
  • Snap button to close footbox up further when desired.
  • Elastic pad strap system that keeps the quilt tucked under you when you shift around in the night and is adjustable to wrap more or less tightly around the user, for example to allow wearing of big insulated clothing. Uses flat buckles that generally can't be felt by the user.
  • Double snap button top closure and elastic drawstring to seal up the top of the quilt. The drawstring exits at the edge of the quilt, behind the neck/head of the user. This is my preference as I feel I can still easily reach around to tighten/loosen but you never have to deal with the drawstring in your face.
  • Top collar that extends beyond the drawstring channel and acts to block drafts and increase comfort when the drawstring is cinched up.
  • Vertical/longitudinal baffles which prevent down migrating to the edges of the quilt during the night. The user does need to ensure that the down is evenly distributed before use but I believe the vertical baffle system is more effective at preventing down migration if the user tosses and turns in the night.

Brilliant - this matches my wish list exactly, with special mention of the drawstring on the side instead of in my face.
The only thing I'd add would be snap buttons that aren't too difficult to undo, but I suspect you've got that covered too.
Can't wait till you get time to expand your range to smaller quilts. All the best with an outstanding product - and Aussie to boot! :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 1:13 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tortoise! The buttons I'm using are size 20 KAM snaps and I think are a good balance of holding power and ease of opening. The fabric where the snaps are installed is reinforced so they can be pulled apart using the fabric, no need to get the fingernails in there or anything like that.

BTW how much smaller/bigger are we all talking?
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 1:26 pm

:roll: I couldn't imagine a tortoise over five feet :lol:
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Tortoise » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 2:43 pm

undercling-mike wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence Tortoise! The buttons I'm using are size 20 KAM snaps and I think are a good balance of holding power and ease of opening. The fabric where the snaps are installed is reinforced so they can be pulled apart using the fabric, no need to get the fingernails in there or anything like that.

BTW how much smaller/bigger are we all talking?

No worries. Apart from the pics, I have it on the excellent authority of a very happy owner. :)

Snaps sound perfect.

Not exactly sure how much smaller just yet, but will get back to you. I'm happy with my -10F quilt, but want a lighter summer-ish quilt in your design. Just when I thought i'd stopped buying gear for a while. :roll:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 2:45 pm

walkon wrote: :roll: I couldn't imagine a tortoise over five feet :lol:

Spot on, Walkon :wink:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 4:32 pm

stry wrote:Yours could be the quilt that tempts me to explore the dark side :lol:

This is certainly the case here too, especially for the fact that Mike is a local local here in Sydney. But I already have an issue with storage with the bags we have at home, just none that goes down to -8C yet. ;) Nice work and certainly tempting.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 8:07 pm

Mike, I can't see anything in your fabric photos that matches the colour of your sample quilt.

Might it be Macaw Green (which looks like to me like a yellow in the fabric photo) ?
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby undercling-mike » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 9:52 pm

stry wrote:Mike, I can't see anything in your fabric photos that matches the colour of your sample quilt.

Might it be Macaw Green (which looks like to me like a yellow in the fabric photo) ?

The fabric used for the sample quilt is the Lime Green Hyper D, which I don't have any more of at the moment. In person the Macaw Green is quite similar, not quite as bright as the Lime Green but almost the same hue and very nice in its own right.

GPSGuided wrote:
stry wrote:Yours could be the quilt that tempts me to explore the dark side :lol:

This is certainly the case here too, especially for the fact that Mike is a local local here in Sydney. But I already have an issue with storage with the bags we have at home, just none that goes down to -8C yet. ;) Nice work and certainly tempting.

My quilts don't take up all that much space :mrgreen:
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 6:20 am

Re: colours - I used the Argon90 orange and blue, which I think work really well together.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby undercling-mike » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 4:27 pm

simonm wrote:Re: colours - I used the Argon90 orange and blue, which I think work really well together.

Sounds interesting, any pics? I don't recall seeing any in the MYOG section or your website.

So the first production quilt went out today! Now normally the lead time will be about 4 weeks but a member contacted me who's starting on the AAWT early next week and I agreed I could get it done in time so here are a few quick photos I snapped before taking it to the post office: It's a -8C quilt with the HyperDRY down in red Argon 90 and black Argon 67.

hvfkr1.JPG

hvfkr2.JPG

Alongside my sample quilt:
hvfkr3.JPG

hvfkr4.JPG

I've got a couple more quilts coming down the pipeline, so for the others who have orders with me don't worry they're coming along nicely as well. If you've got a date looming for a trip and you'd like to order a quilt let me know and I'll try to work with you although I might not always be able to take on rush orders so it's always best to leave plenty of time.

Excited to hear how it goes on the AAWT and see some pics of the quilt in the field!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stry » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 4:36 pm

Looks nice and plump Mike !!!

I'm weakening :)
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jobell » Fri 13 Nov, 2015 12:37 pm

Look what the postie delivered this morning... thanks Mike! Will provide feedback post AAWT. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby DanShell » Fri 13 Nov, 2015 12:45 pm

Does anyone want to buy my -7 EE quilt...I want one of these :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby undercling-mike » Fri 13 Nov, 2015 2:13 pm

jobell wrote:Look what the postie delivered this morning... thanks Mike! Will provide feedback post AAWT. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

That's great, let me know if you have any questions!
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 13 Nov, 2015 3:02 pm

undercling-mike wrote:
simonm wrote:Re: colours - I used the Argon90 orange and blue, which I think work really well together.

Sounds interesting, any pics? I don't recall seeing any in the MYOG section or your website.

So the first production quilt went out today! Now normally the lead time will be about 4 weeks but a member contacted me who's starting on the AAWT early next week and I agreed I could get it done in time so here are a few quick photos I snapped before taking it to the post office: It's a -8C quilt with the HyperDRY down in red Argon 90 and black Argon 67.

They are a work of art Mike. Top stuff. :mrgreen:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jobell » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 8:27 am

Tried it out last night along with a new pad. I thought I would struggle more with it but it was super confortable and toasty warm . Will provide more thoughts once I use it more but for a very first time quilt user I was impressed. Quick question: on warmer nights what do people use to stop themselves (bare skin bits) sticking to the pad? I considered putting the pad inside my sleeping bag liner but if I can l would rather leave it at home and not carry it. .

jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 9:22 am

I made a fitted cover for my mat with a silk sleeping bag liner. Very comfy :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 10:06 am

As strider said. Ive used the silk liner over the pad and I've converted a silk liner to a quilt shape.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rocketrm2 » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 11:37 am

Can make to order one for a 10 yo child?
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby undercling-mike » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 12:16 pm

jobell wrote: Quick question: on warmer nights what do people use to stop themselves (bare skin bits) sticking to the pad? I considered putting the pad inside my sleeping bag liner but if I can l would rather leave it at home and not carry it. .

I tend to use a lightweight silk liner and sleep inside that as well (I also used a liner when I used a mummy sleeping bag). It's a bit of extra weight but helps keep the quilt a bit cleaner and can ventilate in warmer conditions with a bit of a buffer from outside air. A liner can be a pain if it gets all twisted up of course.

rocketrm2 wrote:Can make to order one for a 10 yo child?

I'm planning to have a smaller and larger size available but it's probably a few months away. Not sure the height of an average 10 year old but they must be growing pretty fast at that stage. What would you look for specifically for a 10yo?
undercling-mike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 12:26 pm

Ok the liner can come then! Thanks for tips.

jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 5:35 pm

Bluegum Mic wrote:As strider said. Ive used the silk liner over the pad and I've converted a silk liner to a quilt shape.

Interesting, Mic - I've been thinking about having a quilt-type liner (unsewing the one my friend sewed up for me). Main thing I want is to keep the quilt clean, especially with my grotty hair after a week! Did you leave/make a footbox with the liner?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 6:22 pm

Yes but very simple. I just sewed the seam to knee height vs adding a round piece to make a footbox

Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rocketrm2 » Sun 15 Nov, 2015 11:04 am

For a 10 yo shorter length wise, keeping in mind they do grow into 14 yos
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MacMan » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 8:01 am

undercling-mike wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:Wouldn't you want to turn the bag inside out to help dry the inside out? When flipped, the black liner will be outside for the sun.

I think it doesn't make a big difference drying inside out or outside out. Either way you want the bag to heat through so any accumulated water evaporates away and if you don't get to do a full dry I think the remaining moisture in the fill equalises throughout pretty quickly (probably helped by the stuffing and un-stuffing process). Airing the inside out is pretty nice from time to time though.

My thinking precisely. I went with bright orange on the inside so I can see if it's really grubby, and whether the down is wet or clumped together. Warm is warm, regardless of which side is which.
MacMan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Alittleruff » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 5:58 pm

These are really cool looking. But, I'm unsure how you would use them. Does the sleeping mat go inside the bag, so you have air gaps at both of your sides? Does this keep you warmer or cooler? How much do they cost? Do you have to have a special mat? How much do they weigh? How do you work out the temp range? Yep... I've been putting off asking all these questions because I'm a newbie. But hey, they might be a handy list of questions to put on a Q&A section of your web site if you develop one.

They look great. Personally, I like bright colours. Go citrus - lime & orange maybe. Call it "Cirtus Spark"? Blue & Navy- "calming blue hue" But hey, I don't know about these things. I like practicality over looks any day.
Alittleruff
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Specials, Discounts, Adverts