Hammock camping on the Overland Track?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Hammock camping on the Overland Track?

Postby DarkenRahl » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 4:31 am

Howdy folks,

I'm a big fan of hammock camping due to the light weight and the good nights sleep I get but am wondering if I will have trouble finding trees on the overland track? I'm plotting a trip around the first week of December and am giving myself loads of time to do the walk so I can really take it easy and enjoy it. I'll likely be able to rope a mate into coming as well.
I've read there are many huts to stay at along the way but I've also read about the snorers and packed conditions in the peak season. I'd also prefer to spend the nights outside on my lonesome anyhow.

If a hammock isn't feasable what are the mosquitos like at the aforementioned time of year? :D
This message may contain traces of nut, seed or egg.
DarkenRahl
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Hammock camping on the Overland Track?

Postby tas-man » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 9:25 am

You won't have any trouble finding suitable forested areas along the overland track, but there will be stretches of button grass moorland where you certainly can't use a hammock, as well as alpine areas above the treeline. I have carried a light weight hammock for many years for the luxury of a dry seat in wet rainforest and comfortable reclining at beach camps etc, and storing gear and food above ground. The only campsite last Easter where I couldn't use my hammock was on top of the New Harbour Range, but all other campsites and lunch stops I had no problems.

030 Ian relaxing.JPG
Lunch stop at Louisa Creek, SW Coast Track

035 Relaxing at Surprise Bay Camp.JPG
Relaxing at Surprise Bay Camp site, South Coast Track
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby DarkenRahl » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 2:50 pm

Jolly good. Cheers for putting my bony body and mind at ease.

In a pinch my hammock can be set up on the ground as well so I should be fine. I can't resist showing off a pic from a recent trip to Mt Solitary in the Blue Mountains. The weather was absolutely wonderful and I regretted carting so much warm clothing with me.

DarkenRahl
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby norts » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 5:38 pm

Interesting concept, I have read about Hennessey hammocks. I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind answering them. I havent seen one in the flesh
How does the hammock stand up to wind?
How do you cook if the weather is foul?
How warm are they?

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DarkenRahl » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 8:36 pm

norts wrote:Interesting concept, I have read about Hennessey hammocks. I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind answering them. I havent seen one in the flesh
How does the hammock stand up to wind?

It's very stable, I've experienced a very gentle sway in strong winds but that just helps me get to sleep. I normally stake the fly down with a couple of long sticks or tie rocks to the fly lines and they are fine.
It is also very stable and easy to move around inside, you can sleep on your side, sit up and get in your sleeping bag without issue. A sleeping mat really helps as well as it stops the hammock wrapping around you.

How do you cook if the weather is foul?

Just set up the fly and sit down on a poncho or your pack and cook away with plenty of room. After din dins is finished set the hammock up. There is enough coverage from the fly to cook even with the hammock set up.

How warm are they?

A lot warmer than any tent I've slept in and they breathe so well. The important thing is having a good sleeping mat. The coldest weather I've slept in was around zero degrees at Wollemi National Park in July last year. I used a thermarest 4 season sleeping mat with a macpac escapade sleeping bag. I wore a fleece jumper to bed along with my thermals. I just got a cold face if I peeped out of my sleeping bag otherwise I was very comfortable.
You can put the fly closer to the hammock to maintain a bit more heat, throw a thin fleece blanket or poncho liner over the mosquito netting as well. I've never needed to do this so far.
The one time I have been cold was when I didn't take a sleeping mat with me one Autumn weekend. Even with a sleeping bag and four layers on my torso I got a cold back. Those cheap foam mats you get at camping stores are good enough to keep you warm most of the year.

The way the hammock is set up above is for good weather, you can stare at the stars as you go to bed but if it rains during the night you can quickly hop out and peg the fly over your hammock quick smart.

I won't go on but three of my regular camping mates have since moved to the Jungle Hammock and two others will be doing so soon when they can justify the money. They are a great way to bribe people to come camping who normally fear cold nights and uncomfortable sleep. They weigh 1.6kg all up and are big enough for big people, I'm 6'5" tall and have no problems with being bent out of shape.

I picked mine up for US$130 from here: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/
The guy who sells them is very helpful and charges a fair price, I got a replacement fly for the one I lost in Cairns for $40 which I was happy about.

- From a couple of weeks ago at Dharug National Park.

*As I read back through my post I sound like a salesman but I really do rate hammocks very highly over sleeping on the ground in a tent. My mate got himself a girlfriend and is back sleeping in a tent along with the following mornings complaints about being cold and waking up all night. :D
DarkenRahl
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby norts » Thu 03 Jul, 2008 8:15 am

Thanks for that.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 16 Jun, 2011 6:37 pm

What's the latest on using a Hammock on the Overland Track? Has anyone used a hammock on the Overland track?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby HitchHiking » Thu 16 Jun, 2011 7:02 pm

Here is my overland experince which was only to Pine Valley Hut from Lake St Clare.

This is out back of PVH.
Attachments
Hammock on Overland settin up.jpg
Setting up on the overland
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 16 Jun, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks HitchHiking,

I think this is the option I'm going to take, Want to get my pack weight down as low as I can for the Overland Track. I think it would be crazy to cart my 3.5kg Hilleberg on the Overland Track during summer time.
I know the weather can change for the worst at anytime of the year, I still think it would be crazy to cart that weight considering all the huts available on the track. I'll take my Exped Downmat with me and use that in the hammock with my Down Bag. My next hike over at Fraser Island I'm going to take just the hammock and fly and maybe a thin padding if need be. Might get one of those Osprey Exos 58 ultralight packs and go Ultralight on my solo walks.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby vorpal » Wed 25 Sep, 2013 11:36 am

Hey Everyone,

Giving this thread a quick reboot. Thinking about hammock camping the Overland track. So has anyone done it and care to report how it went?

Thanks everyone.

Ryan
vorpal
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Scottyk » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 9:54 am

vorpal wrote:Hey Everyone,

Giving this thread a quick reboot. Thinking about hammock camping the Overland track. So has anyone done it and care to report how it went?

Thanks everyone.

Ryan

The track has tent platforms and huts. Use them.
On a track as popular as the OLT I think the practice should be discouraged. It won't take long before the "favourite" trees close to the huts will get used all the time. It wouldn't be hard to imagine a good pair of trees close to a hut could get straps/ropes hung on it 20+ times a year, that would be rather hard on the trees I would think, especially the conifers.
Just take a light weight tent and keep your impact to a minimum.
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au

Postby icefest » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 10:36 am

Or you could just decide to camp on other spots, get away from the crowds and be walking the sections out of phase with everyone else and avoid the hustle and bustle.

The hill of point 1026 just south of the lookout over Henry creek/River Forth comes to mind.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 11:46 am

Not my business, nothing against hammocks.. but really, surely it would be better general advice to just use a shelter that fit with the current facilities (and use the facilities) for now. I know we all like independence but limiting impact shouldn't be an 'us n them' type deal with the park service and their management attempts. Around the existing facilities there are boardwalks and formed tracks. With slings there may even not be any trace on trees but in time there will be around those trees away from hardened ground. Existing structures aren't really in place with hammocks in mind and all have a design/traffic flow purpose so jury rigging off a verandah doesn't really sound like appropriate general advice either. I'm sure the best option here is to petition for additional facilities (poles) on that track. This may not happen in a hurry so probably wont sit well for immediate plans but..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Thu 26 Sep, 2013 5:19 pm

I have thought about this for some time and people may know that I am a hammock nut but at this point in time I would not use my hammock on the OT, for the reasons set out above by Scottyk and Nuts. I have made representations to parks about specific hanging points and probably should follow up on this, as should others if they are interested in hanging in some of these spots.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania

Postby Bidders » Sat 25 Jul, 2015 11:14 am

Hi just wondering what the latest thought was on using a hammock on the Overland Track. I used one on the South Coast Track last year. It was so comfortable perfectly dry and warm with under quilt and tarp etc. The thought of having to go to ground makes me cringe! They are becoming a very popular light weight sleeping solution.
Bidders
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain