Platforms

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Platforms

Postby Wherever I may roam » Fri 18 Aug, 2023 11:37 am

It has been over 10 years since I last walked the OT. I am not one to sleep in the huts. Can anybody confirm the current quota of platforms at the huts? Have they reduced the number of platforms since the new huts or is there still plenty of platform spaces?

Thanks
Wherever I may roam
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Platforms

Postby crollsurf » Fri 18 Aug, 2023 7:15 pm

3 years ago when on holiday there was no problem. I'd show up late afternoon and always found a spot.

Not platforms, but Echo Point was busy, so I stayed in the hut. Not keen on staying in the huts, but the banter that night was v funny.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby headwerkn » Mon 21 Aug, 2023 10:40 am

It's about the same. Depends on the time of year obviously, but I've always thought New Pelion was a bit shy on platform space, tends to be full pretty early in the afternoon when it's busy. Though there's a fair amount of grass spots surrounding that many may prefer. I think grass camping in front of the old hut at Waterfall Valley is still OK, always nice there when it's dry at least. Same at Narcissus. Though these days we tend to prefer platforms where possible for an easier, flatter pitch and less environmental impact (albeit very minor).

I can't recall how long they've been there, but it seems the Group Booking areas tend to dominate a lot of the available space. Tends to be a moot point as in recent years we've only been there in the off season and usually able to use them anyway if a group isn't there.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 21 Aug, 2023 2:23 pm

headwerkn wrote: I think grass camping in front of the old hut at Waterfall Valley is still OK, always nice there when it's dry at least.

Nice if the weather is perfect, but you'd want to be confident about the weather forecast. It doesn't take a lot of rain for the creek up there to spill on flood that plain. I've seen water running in one end of a tent and out the other on a few occasions (and some very unhappy tourists wringing out their sleeping bags and hanging them up in the hut to dry - which would probably take about 3 months).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby headwerkn » Tue 22 Aug, 2023 10:02 am

I'm thinking of camping a bit higher up from the creek (if memory serves correct, it was several years ago since I last tented there) but yep, another reason why platforms aren't so bad ;-)

Years ago, I once set up my tent the dry river bed of Douglas Creek. Yeah, it was summer and clear weather for a week, but still... derp. God knows why I thought that was a good idea, especially after years of camping around hydro lakes fishing and constantly dealing with sudden level rises.

Anyway, you learn... eventually...
headwerkn

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain