The Tortoise or the Hare.

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

The Tortoise or the Hare.

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sat 20 May, 2023 11:06 am

I hope to get back down the Overland Track sometime this coming spring/summer. It's been a while since I last did it and will probably be a long time before I do it again so I'm hoping to take plenty of time to enjoy the experience. I figure 2 weeks would give me heaps of time to hit a lot of side trips and also plenty of time to just enjoy being in that vicinity again. I'm working on the theory that the longer you are out there the more value you are getting for your money :D

Coming up with this plan got me wondering what are some of the longest duration trips (in the era of paying customers) from Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair that some people may have done ??
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: The Tortoise or the Hare.

Postby headwerkn » Mon 22 May, 2023 10:22 am

It's not been contiguous (gotta rock up to work occasionally, my boss says) but over the past 4-5 years I would have accumulated several weeks of time out on track climbing every peak (sometimes twice) and visiting every waterfall and other POI within cooee of the Overland Track and Pine Valley. Lost count how many trips we've done going in Arm River in darkness, hehe.

Two weeks would be great. With enough food (maybe a couple of food drops?) three wouldn't actually be so excessive either. Being able to get out to the far flung peaks (Emmett, Inglis, Proteus etc), do the Pelion West/Leonards Tarn/Thetis loop, Du Cane Circuit and Labyrinth, out to Walled/Macs/Nereus if you're keen, Gould/Guardians/Horizontal loop, over Olympus... so many options.
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Mon 22 May, 2023 11:52 am

First trip with a digital camera, I started from Cynthia Bay and went into Pine Valley for two nights, climbing the Acropolis and having a quick exploration of the Labyrinth. Then up the track doing every tracked sidetrip I could find, finishing with an extra night at Waterfall, climbing Barn Bluff and looping around past Scott Kilvert and the Face Track to climb Cradle. Then out via the Horse Track in a snowstorm. Ten days, I think; late autumn so the days were short.

But it's been a while since I used the Overland as anything more than a way to access the off-track areas. Pelion and DuCane circuits, Proteus, Emmett, Inglis, Never Never, Olympus and Byron And Cuvier and Goulds and Manfred and all the rest of it. Too many *&%$#! people on the main track for my liking.

Two weeks in summer, you could hit pretty well everything if you're fit and fast enough.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Mon 22 May, 2023 3:03 pm

One idea for a resupply ...

Don't do Pine Valley etc on your way down.... Resupply at Lake St Clair and walk back in for Pine Valley etc... That cuts a bit off the initial food carry. If your dong a commercial transporter for start and end of the Overland then they well do the resupply for you including gas.

There is the option of doing a resupply using the Arm Rv Track to New Pelion Hut. But if you do that yourself you may as well do some of the side trips while your there. Having done the side trips your resupply could well be used up, so that saves the resupply and the side trips you would have done...
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 23 May, 2023 4:08 pm

Warin wrote:One idea for a resupply ...

FIrstly, that's two ideas (yes, I'm a pedant).

Don't do Pine Valley etc on your way down.... Resupply at Lake St Clair and walk back in for Pine Valley etc... That cuts a bit off the initial food carry. If your dong a commercial transporter for start and end of the Overland then they well do the resupply for you including gas.

There is the option of doing a resupply using the Arm Rv Track to New Pelion Hut. But if you do that yourself you may as well do some of the side trips while your there. Having done the side trips your resupply could well be used up, so that saves the resupply and the side trips you would have done...

And secondly, this Arm River option is a great idea, because it means that you have to go in/out via the Arm River Track twice. Firstly, to supply all the walking you're going to do while there, and secondly, to re-supply your subsequent Overland Track trip a couple of weeks later. The more excuses to go for a walk, the better. :-D
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Mechanic-AL » Thu 25 May, 2023 11:28 am

By the time you reach Pine Valley the Labyrinth is close enough that it almost seems a bit of a wasted opportunity not to continue on up the hill and have a poke around up there for a few days. Ive always thought of Pine Valley/Labyrinth as more of a stand alone trip than an OLT side trip and hadnt considered it as a part of this trip.[/quote]

And secondly, this Arm River option is a great idea, because it means that you have to go in/out via the Arm River Track twice.[/quote]

An Arm River re-supply definitely ticks all the boxes
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain