East Pelion summit attempt

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

East Pelion summit attempt

Postby WOFTT » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi fellow walkers

During our recent Overland walk when we reached the Mt Ossa turnoff I decided to go up East Pelion by myself. Although not a difficult climb I did struggle a little with the route. It was well marked at the start of the trail but became increasingly more difficult to find the trail as I ascended. I did find the cairns people had built, but then stuggled as I reached the the base without knowing where to begin scrambling. I re-checked the map to be sure and it seems straight up was the way. I did a little scramnbling and got about half way up the final part but it seemed more difficult than I had imagined. (we did ascend Cradle Mt on the way and I did not find that hard going).

Can anyone give me some idea as to how to get up to the top? Perhaps being by myself may have been a factor. (chicken)

Also I came across lots of little green lizards about 3 - 4 " long . Does anybody know the name of these little beasties???

Finally on decent I stepped over a green snake about foot long. It was dark green in colour. So I would be keen to know what type of snake this was.

WOFTT.
WOFTT
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: East Pelion summit attempt

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 8:19 pm

Green snake?? Must have been a whip snake if it was small. These are usually a pale colour though!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 8:23 pm

The little whippy I saw on Saturday was dark green too. Very cute these are, especially when you're wearing gaiters they couldn't possibly bite through. I haven't ever seen them aggressive though.
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby corvus » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 8:25 pm

G'day WOFTT,
The scramble /climb to the top of Pelion East is just that so dont feel bad if you missed out as you just pick your own climb.
Little green lizard would have been most probably the southern grass skink and the Green sake most definitely a white lipped whip snake :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby WOFTT » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 8:37 pm

corvus wrote:G'day WOFTT,
The scramble /climb to the top of Pelion East is just that so dont feel bad if you missed out as you just pick your own climb.
Little green lizard would have been most probably the southern grass skink and the Green sake most definitely a white lipped whip snake :)
corvus

Thanks corvus,

I googled an image of the southern grass skink and that is the beastie all right. Hundreds of them sunning on the rocks.

I use to catch whip snakes in Sydney bushland and they are a slate grey colour but it looked very much the same size and type.

Here is an image - bad as it is i missed the head doh! :oops:
WOFTT
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ollster » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 8:57 pm

WOFTT wrote:Can anyone give me some idea as to how to get up to the top? Perhaps being by myself may have been a factor. (chicken)

Did you follow the cairns around the left of the summit block and up the gulley?
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby MJD » Wed 17 Mar, 2010 11:16 pm

As Ollster points out you need to traverse around to the left a bit when you reach the cliffs. It is then an easy scramble up an obvious and cairned gully. Nothing hard at all.

Of course, it's always easier with a bit of moral support or if you've been there before.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drifting » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 4:51 am

WOFTT wrote:
corvus wrote:G'day WOFTT,
corvus

Thanks corvus,

I googled an image of the southern grass skink and that is the beastie all right. Hundreds of them sunning on the rocks.

I use to catch whip snakes in Sydney bushland and they are a slate grey colour but it looked very much the same size and type.

Here is an image - bad as it is i missed the head doh! :oops:

What are refered to as Whip Snakes in Tassie are known as White-Lipped Snakes on the mainland, and the whipsnakes that you would have been catching in Sydney, while they look similar, are a different species.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby bushrunner » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 7:02 am

Saw this little guy on the track beside Lake Salome a couple of weeks ago.
Attachments
white lipped snake.jpg
white lipped snake.jpg (108.35 KiB) Viewed 6574 times
bushrunner
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby WOFTT » Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:29 pm

MJD wrote:As Ollster points out you need to traverse around to the left a bit when you reach the cliffs. It is then an easy scramble up an obvious and cairned gully. Nothing hard at all.

Of course, it's always easier with a bit of moral support or if you've been there before.

Ah ha! Thanks Ollster and MJD

I will remember that on my next trip.

Woftt.
WOFTT
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain