Bookings?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Bookings?

Postby Earwig » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:00 am

I'm planning on walking the track next summer, during school holidays, and read that "bookings open in July". Is it that busy that I need to set the alarm for 1am on July first and book, or could I leave it until around November or December or even the week before, when I'm sure of dates, numbers etc.?
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Bookings?

Postby tastrax » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:56 am

It really depends on the date you want to leave. Around Christmas and other popular weekends/holiday periods will fill fast (within a few weeks of bookings opening). If your dates for the walk are fixed then get in as fast as you can to avoid disappointment but I (personally) would not wait up until midnight unless you want to leave on boxing day, new years day or soon after.

You will need to know numbers when booking.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Earwig » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks Phil. I'm looking at mid to early January - leaving about the 10th give or take a few days. I'm tied to going during the Victorian school holidays (and when cheap airfares are available). I'm sure I'll work it out between now and the end of June. - Ian
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby tastrax » Wed 24 Feb, 2010 8:22 pm

Early to mid January would be popular so dont wait too long after bookings open before checking the site. The first screen of the booking system allows you to see how bookings are proceeding but obviously they can fill up quickly with just a few parties/groups booking.

https://bookings.overlandtrack.com.au/o ... etails.asp
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sat 20 Mar, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi Tastrax

One question I have with the OLT and booking fee. If you go as an individual do you have to buy the Parks Pass as well?

Cheers Brett
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Erica » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:01 am

I'm almost 100% sure that you do have to get a NP pass as well as the OLT one.
Erica
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:02 am

Yep - you still need a parks pass which can be added as part of the online processing.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:06 pm

tastrax wrote:Yep - you still need a parks pass which can be added as part of the online processing.

Ok now to get cheeky.

1. We have vehicle passes that cover everyone in the vehicle and I assume some commercial operators might have something similar so what is the story there? By that for every visitor to the state pay the same amount or do people driven there by commercial operators get a better deal if that vehicle has a pass?

2. Also does the owner of the pass need to part of the walking party a families tend to lend vehicles around?

Cheers Brett

PS yes many people just do what they think and work on the principal of not getting caught but I would like are more exact answer.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Erica » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:42 pm

I can't speak for all commercial operators, but I know that all of the Cradle Huts groups have the 60day (I think...) Tas NP Backpacker Passes (each), in addition to the OLT pass. I can only assume this would be consistent across the companies
Erica
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:45 pm

Brett wrote:<snip>
1. We have vehicle passes that cover everyone in the vehicle . . <snip>
2. Also does the owner of the pass need to part of the walking party a families tend to lend vehicles around?
Cheers Brett
<snip>

I have always worked on the basis that if my family or visiting friends come on a walk with me and enter the park in my vehicle, that MY parks pass covers the group while we all walk together. I too will be interested in the detailed answer :wink:
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 10:07 pm

I've asked this question on the forums before and didn't get far. It also seems like the Service Tas people who sell the passes don't know either.

There are a variety of situations I'd like an answer for including people all arriving in the park in one car but walking in two separate groups with the pass-holder being in only one group. As far as I can tell this should be OK as the pass covers everyone who came in the pass-holders car (up to 8 people). But is it then necessary to convince the ranger if he meets the party without the pass-holder?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 8:35 am

Commercial operators pay per person for a parks pass to cover the time they need (On the Overland Track this is additional to a fee to cover the specific permit).
As for splitting from a private vehicle, i would imagine its probably a good idea to at least carry the pass holders rego and details? If you do come across someone asking to see them then they will (usually) be smart enough to work out if your telling porkies before ever demanding to see them (i'd imagine :wink: ).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 8:56 am

I think you're right. The rangers are generally reasonable and helpful people. I get the impression they don't particularly enjoy being the police of the passes.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby tastrax » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 6:59 pm

Brett wrote:
tastrax wrote:Yep - you still need a parks pass which can be added as part of the online processing.

Ok now to get cheeky.

1. We have vehicle passes that cover everyone in the vehicle and I assume some commercial operators might have something similar so what is the story there? By that for every visitor to the state pay the same amount or do people driven there by commercial operators get a better deal if that vehicle has a pass?

Cheers Brett

PS yes many people just do what they think and work on the principal of not getting caught but I would like are more exact answer.

Well that's really up to you Brett :D - I know if someone was carrying my park pass they would be lucky to get past a Ranger (unfortunately I am well known to many of them!) :lol: :lol:

Commercial tour operators pay by a variety of fee structures including per person/per night (depends on type of operation).
People delivered to a park by a bus company still have to buy individual passes (and the bus company pays other fees).
You pay an annual pass (for up to 3 vehicles registered at the same address) and its up to you how you lend out your vehicle.

Of course if your visitors think the experience was worth more than your generous free car hire offer complete with Parks Pass they could always donate extra funds or buy a pass even if they didn't use it :D The largest number of passes sold is generally the Holiday Pass.

I will try and get some answers to your other questions added to this page

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=6791
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby geoskid » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 7:44 pm

tastrax wrote:Of course if your visitors think the experience was worth more than your generous free car hire offer complete with Parks Pass they could always donate extra funds or buy a pass even if they didn't use it :D

This is pretty apt Tastrax - Human Nature never ceases to amaze me, the 'saving' (or not spending) of money mostly trumps even the deepest held virtuous beliefs.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tasadam » Tue 23 Mar, 2010 9:09 am

Brett wrote:Hi Tastrax

One question I have with the OLT and booking fee. If you go as an individual do you have to buy the Parks Pass as well?

Cheers Brett

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=7831
The payment of a park entry fee (Parks Pass) is required to enter Tasmania's national parks, including Cradle Mt - Lake St Clair National Park where the Overland Track is located. This is in addition to the Overland Track Fee.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain