5 days...

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

5 days...

Postby freespirit » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi All,
i'm flying to Tasmania on 27Feb, planning for overland-lake st clair trek, wud like to request some help from experienced bush walkers and everyone who knows about it, thank you. In the past i've done few trekking in Nepal, max up to 17days, but as they say every mountain is different and we must show them the utter respect and hope for best.

1. Start on 27feb and expecting to finsih on 3march wed, is it possible? if so how are the routes for it pls?
2. Can we do the track individually or you need to go in a group, do you meet people in the starting point to go together or somethin?
3. This is very common one i guess, how much food & water, fuel, stove, utensils, etc we carry? what is best for breakfast, lunch n dinner? wholemeal mix grains in water???
4. Wat is the best way to be less wet by rain? pls suggest some budget raincoat brands if you know just good enough for trip?
5.What kind of place is good to tent?
6. Do you need to treat water with purifying tablets or u can drink lke that?
7.Are there proper signs on the way of the route?
8. Are there free maps of overland track online or we 've to buy them?
9. how to be safe around surrounding or while walking? are there pebble stones to show the way? not sure what they called..?

I suppose many ppl have done this amazing trip, and i hope it will be same for me, for peace in the world.

Thank you for answering my questions, hope its not very hard ones :)

freespirit
p.s. if i missed somthin pls suggest...
freespirit
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: 5 days...

Postby geoskid » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:45 am

freespirit wrote:Hi All,
i'm flying to Tasmania on 27Feb, planning for overland-lake st clair trek, wud like to request some help from experienced bush walkers and everyone who knows about it, thank you. In the past i've done few trekking in Nepal, max up to 17days, but as they say every mountain is different and we must show them the utter respect and hope for best.

1. Start on 27feb and expecting to finsih on 3march wed, is it possible? if so how are the routes for it pls?
2. Can we do the track individually or you need to go in a group, do you meet people in the starting point to go together or somethin?
3. This is very common one i guess, how much food & water, fuel, stove, utensils, etc we carry? what is best for breakfast, lunch n dinner? wholemeal mix grains in water???
4. Wat is the best way to be less wet by rain? pls suggest some budget raincoat brands if you know just good enough for trip?
5.What kind of place is good to tent?
6. Do you need to treat water with purifying tablets or u can drink lke that?
7.Are there proper signs on the way of the route?
8. Are there free maps of overland track online or we 've to buy them?
9. how to be safe around surrounding or while walking? are there pebble stones to show the way? not sure what they called..?

I suppose many ppl have done this amazing trip, and i hope it will be same for me, for peace in the world.

Thank you for answering my questions, hope its not very hard ones :)

freespirit
p.s. if i missed somthin pls suggest...

http://bushwalk.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... nformation
Hi freespirit - Going through the above link will answer a lot of your questions.
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby geoskid » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 2:32 pm

Not long to go now freespirit. Did you find out what you were uncertain about? Happy with what to expect?
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid

Region: Tasmania

Postby freespirit » Tue 23 Feb, 2010 2:41 pm

yea i did, thanks a lot for yr post, now i'm having another issue, even to get to cradle mountain on sat 27 seems not possible, but i'm still hoping somethin will work out, i've asked for some help in the forum for transportation if possible, because there are very few buses that goes to Cradle on Sat. tassie link has one at 8.45am and another bus is booked out, i get in Launceston at 11.15am, i'm hoping if i could start on same day for trek. not sure:( now if i could, tryin to call national park and see if they can do somethin...
freespirit
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain