Gaa! Tourists everywhere (Cradle Mt.)!!!!

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Re: Gaa! Tourists everywhere (Cradle Mt.)!!!!

Postby walkinTas » Sun 20 Jan, 2008 1:48 pm

That is why the poop-a-scooper theme was so good. I wonder what percentage of people actually carry an implement on day trips or even consider it important to bury human waste. The other thing that is so annoying is people relieving themselves so close to the track (and not burying it), so that others can smell the TP flowers as they walk by. :x

Education - even just a simple list of dos and donts - is a good start.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby walkinTas » Wed 23 Jan, 2008 10:19 am

Son of a Beach wrote:What is the rule with carrying a pass while walking anyhow? We always get an annual, or biannual car pass, which is for up to 8 people in the same car. How many people does this cover if you get out of the car and go for a walk.

If I take 5 people into a national park in my car, with a national parks pass on it, and a ranger stops us as we get out of the car, we can point at the sticker on the car, and he'll be happy. But what if we are on a short stroll away from the car looking at the nearby scenery? Does it still cover up to 8 people if we are out of sight of the car?

I checked with Parks and Wildlife Services - and all people legally seated in your car, up to a maximum of eight, are covered by your pass. If you are out walking and you do happen to meet a ranger, then refer him to the driver of the car (in the party), who should carry the walking pass that came with the Car Pass.

Simple, display the Car Pass on the windscreen and carry your pocket card. The whole party (up to eight) is covered.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 23 Jan, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks for clarifying this for me, walkinTas. I thought that ought to be the case.

Now I'll just have to find out about if you bring 2 parties of 4 into the park in one car, and if those 2 parties of 4 go separate ways (to meet up again later on... or even not to meet up later on). ;) I reckon the rangers would just have to take your word for it, and perhaps note down the walkers' names and the name of the person they say was their car-driver-and-pass-holder and check back at the office later (if they could be bothered).

Yeah, OK... it's a bit of a contrived example.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby DarkenRahl » Wed 02 Jul, 2008 4:43 am

Speculator wrote:
Yup, and I'd rather the income from tourists looking at the trees than nearsighted self-interested types cutting them down!

L8r.

Exactly.

I'm from Sydney and my "local" rambles are usually in the Blue Mountains and whenever I head up there I can't wait to escape into the valleys away from all the look outs that are seething with loud annoying people tramping around and pushing in front of you with their video cameras.
Crowds of people always seem worse when you are off for some quiet solitude for the weekend.
This message may contain traces of nut, seed or egg.
DarkenRahl
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MrCAMEL » Mon 27 Oct, 2008 6:03 pm

With the warmness coming back very soon, the tourists will be back. The ones that travel at 55km/hr on the highways in their brand new Camrys or 20km/hr in the 60 zones.

But anyways, I hope the people at Cradle have got their communication systems set up a bit better than around the time of the original post. I made a trip up to Cradle at about the same time of the year to climb Cradle too. When we reached the Info centre we were 10th in line and got told every carpark was full and we could wait for an unknown amount of time until someone leaves or go back and get on a bus, which should not take long because they had 6 buses running. So I went back and joined the 40-50 people waiting. For 45 minutes we waited and got on the third bus that came. They seemed to have a great idea that when they returned with a load of people, the drivers would stand around for 10 minutes talking to the other bus driver, even though there were 40 people around the corner waiting, wait for the next bus to come so the other driver had someone to talk to and then one driver would go and pickup some people. I found that pathetic, whatever it was.

We got on and I sat on the row behind the driver so I could see the road. The queue behind where the gate is had grown from when I had been there, so I thought I made the right choice to get on the bus. On the drive down to Dove Lake, coming the other way was just one vehicle ( and 2 shuttle buses). What made me wild at that time was that there were 4 marked parking spots at Ronny's Creek and plenty where more could have been safely invented. The story was the same at Dove Lake. Except there were 6 free marked spaces and plenty where people could have been parking. I was so very pissed off about that. Maybe the cars went somewhere else. I dont know

But it was no good and they should get it right this time around.
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Taurë-rana » Wed 29 Oct, 2008 10:36 pm

Is it just as bad through the week?
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain