Horse Track or Marion's Lookout?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Horse Track or Marion's Lookout?

Postby Iluvtheoutdawz » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 2:43 pm

I'm visiting Cradle in late Jan with my 8 year old daughter and want to trek upto Kitchen Hut from the Ronny Creek car park. Interested in people's opinions of the easier of the two routes, Horse Track or the Crater Lake track via Marion's Lookout? In Summer is there any place to refill water bottles on the Horse Track?
Iluvtheoutdawz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Horse Track or Marion's Lookout?

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 01 Jan, 2010 2:51 pm

Marions Lookout has a few sections which are very steep (but not for long). The horse track is not as steep but is probably a tad longer. There's creeks on both tracks at around the level of Crater Lake, but not much after that once up on the plateau. I seem to remember walking throug a knee deep snow covered creek along the plateau on the horse track once but I'm not sure if that creek is there all year round.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Joel » Sat 02 Jan, 2010 10:09 am

I prefer the Horse track, as the view is better and at this time of year Marion's is very busy. Personally I think the Horse track is harder.
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sat 02 Jan, 2010 9:58 pm

Iluvtheoutdawz wrote:I'm visiting Cradle in late Jan with my 8 year old daughter and want to trek upto Kitchen Hut from the Ronny Creek car park. Interested in people's opinions of the easier of the two routes, Horse Track or the Crater Lake track via Marion's Lookout? In Summer is there any place to refill water bottles on the Horse Track?

G'day ilot,
Horse track has the most water spots by far and with deference to Joel I believe it is the least taxing because of this.
1) creek just below Scout Hut and above it right on the track
2) Marigold Creek
3) Plateau Creek
All of these flow albeit low in Summer so you can re-hydrate which is a must regardless,doing Marions I cannot recall any reliable creeks once you pass Crater Lake ,Joel may well correct me as he is up there much more than I am,but my two bobs worth any way :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain