Dove Lake to Hansons Peak to Kithen Hut

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Dove Lake to Hansons Peak to Kithen Hut

Postby sunbernd » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi All, Can anyone experienced in the area comment on my estimated times for the following with 0730 start with 30 min breaks

Dove Lake - Hansons Peak 0730-1000
Hansons Peak - Kitchen Hut via Face Track 1030-1230
Cradle Mt summit return 1300-1530
Kitchen Hut - Waterfall Valley 1600-1730
Waterfall Valley - Lake Will 1730-1830

I have only estimated times from map and Google Earth, so I would appreciate some realistic times from anyone that has walked these sections. Our fitness and experience are good. Looking for good weather times. We will take Ronney Creek - Marions Lookout route if weather is poor.

Many thanks

Sunbernd
sunbernd
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Dove Lake to Hansons Peak to Kithen Hut

Postby Joel » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 6:53 pm

Sounds about right to me.
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby MJD » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 6:52 pm

You could also whiz up the Little Horn on the way past. :D

Depending on your fitness and how many times you stop to admire the view you could do this lovely round trip in less time quite easily.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby corvus » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 7:35 pm

sunbernd wrote:Hi All, Can anyone experienced in the area comment on my estimated times for the following with 0730 start with 30 min breaks

Waterfall Valley - Lake Will 1730-1830

I have only estimated times from map and Google Earth, so I would appreciate some realistic times from anyone that has walked these sections. Our fitness and experience are good. Looking for good weather times. We will take Ronney Creek - Marions Lookout route if weather is poor.

Many thanks

Sunbernd

G'day Sunbernd ,
Your timing into Lake Will is ok what about the return trip and where to after that ? :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby sunbernd » Sun 15 Nov, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi Everyne and thank you for your replies.

Forgot to mention in my haste to post the last message (thanks corvus for prompting me) that we are doing an 8 day OT trek. 8 Days due to a few extra side trips - including an extra night in Pine Valley to check out The Acropolis and Labyrinth. As such we will be carrying fully loaded packs. Sure to slow us down some on the climbs. Did the regular OT before in 5 days, but missed out on all the good stuff because of "not so fine" weather. Poored down non-stop from start to finish - Oh well :evil:

How does this effect my estimates for day 1??

sunbernd
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MJD » Sat 21 Nov, 2009 12:51 pm

You will certainly be slower going up Hansons Pk with a full pack. Still its a nice way to go.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sunbernd » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 8:35 pm

2 weeks from today and we'll be on our way......HOLY COW!!! Cant believe it...So close!!!! As you can probably guess, I get more than a little excited every time I travel to Tassie :D

We plan to be living there within 2 years........Tassie hikes at our doorstep!!!

HEAVEN ON EARTH :D :D :D
sunbernd
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Mon 28 Dec, 2009 8:53 pm

sunbernd wrote:2 weeks from today and we'll be on our way......HOLY COW!!! Cant believe it...So close!!!! As you can probably guess, I get more than a little excited every time I travel to Tassie :D

We plan to be living there within 2 years........Tassie hikes at our doorstep!!!

HEAVEN ON EARTH :D :D :D

Hansons Peak Track to the best of my knowledge has no chain assist over the hardests bit now so be prepared to scramble big time with full packs :shock: I would check with parks before I did this with "Overland Packs" however the choice is yours.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Joel » Sat 02 Jan, 2010 10:14 am

Still no chain up Hanson's. No offence to any employees but I would not bother checking with the Visitor Center - most of them have never even been up Hanson's Peak. You're better off talking to one of the guides that actually work in the park.
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sat 02 Jan, 2010 3:36 pm

Joel wrote:Still no chain up Hanson's. No offence to any employees but I would not bother checking with the Visitor Center - most of them have never even been up Hanson's Peak. You're better off talking to one of the guides that actually work in the park.

Thanks Joel,
I had hoped that it may have been replaced for the start of the season but should have known better :roll:

sunberned I would reconsider I were you and do it via the Ballroom Forest/Lake Wilks/Face Track rather than tackle Hansons sans chain with a full Overland pack,I would also PM Joel for up to date info as he has very good knowledge of the area with him being a Guide up there.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby sunbernd » Wed 06 Jan, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice :D As it is we wont be travelling via Hanson's due to me injuring my back :( So the tourist route it is.

Let you know how it went when we get back.

And thanks again!! :D :D
sunbernd
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain