Narcissus Hut/Gould Plateau/DuCane Range to OT

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Narcissus Hut/Gould Plateau/DuCane Range to OT

Postby cixelsyd » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi all,

I'm researching my next trip to Tassie and while I have done the OT (Cradle to Lake St Claire) I found myself wanting to shake things up a bit as I found the the OT from Kia Ora to Narcissus a little sleepy. I've been reading John Chapman's book and it has references to tracks from the Narcissus Hut to the Gould Plateau then to the Labyrinth; then past Lake Elysia and then heading north through Big Gun Pass to Mt Massif and later Castle Crag.

In reading past posts I saw this post http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1111 and was wondering if the tracks described in John Chapmans books are indeed officially closed.

I'd really like to do these tracks and hook back up to the OT around DuCane Gap. If anyone has experience and/or knowledge on this area I would love to hear about it. I'm also looking to fit the Walls into this Walk so I haven't decided if I'm going to go N -> S or S -> N yet.
Last edited by cixelsyd on Sun 01 Nov, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cixelsyd
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Pine Valley to DuCane Range to OT

Postby eggs » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 8:51 pm

Your linked post only has reference to tracks into Pine Valley from the Overland Track.
Many years ago there were about 3 different routes into Pine Valley - I myself went on the one directly up from Narcissus hut, but there was also one from closer to Windy Ridge hut.

Now-a-days there is only one route into Pine Valley from the OT about half way down between Windy Ridge and Narcissus - and all are encouraged to keep to it.

However, your question relates to tracks exiting from Pine Valley through the Labyrinth. There is an established track from Pine Valley up to the Labyrinth (as well as one up to the Acropolis). From the Labyrinth there are no "established" tracks, but there are rough cairned "routes" to the Ducaine Range and possibly Walled Mountain. From the Ducaine Range out over Big Gun Pass and Falling Mountain to Ducaine Gap is described in various articles and photos on this site.
But you will need to be able to navigate "off track" in doing this. John's notes on these routes will be assuming you can do this kind of trackless walking.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Re: Narcissus Hut/Gould Plateau/DuCane Range to OT

Postby cixelsyd » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 8:58 pm

But you will need to be able to navigate "off track" in doing this. John's notes on these routes will be assuming you can do this kind of trackless walking.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm fairly comfortable navigating "off track" but I'm concerned with my impact on these areas. Would it be poor form to attempt these tracks highlighted in John's book? Also I noticed a track from Narcissus to Gould's Plateau in the book, which incidentally I must have read 3 times since getting it last week, anyway, thats why I altered the subject line. this track looks good but I don't want to do it if the tracks are "off limits"
cixelsyd
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby eggs » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 9:07 pm

Narcissus to Gould's Plateau is still a recognised track. Going from there over or pass Mt Gould to the Minotaur and on is "trackless" but some do it.

Very few people go over the Ducaine Range to Ducaine Gap - so I suspect there is not much impact yet.
I have not done this walk, but others on this site have.
The impression I have gotten is that someone sensitive to how they are treating the environment will be fine. It is not considered poor form as long as you are well prepared. Are you going with a group?
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby cixelsyd » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 9:13 pm

At this stage it looks like I will be by myself. I did the OT by myself this year in the snow. I've got good gear, good navigation skills, a GPS navigator and a SPOT.
cixelsyd
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MJD » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 10:12 pm

I have done Narcissus to Gould to the Labyrinth and on another trip the Ducane traverse but in the opposite direction. Most of this is off track and if you haven't been in the Labyrinth before then you may struggle a bit to pick up the track when you come off Gould and down from the Minotaur. In good weather these are great walks. In poor weather you could easily struggle as route finding in some places will be challenging.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby cixelsyd » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 5:52 am

[url]In poor weather you could easily struggle as route finding in some places will be challenging.

[/url]

By poor weather do you mean snow? I figured I would map out my track using the BaseCamp software which came with my Garmin GPS prior to going. I understand it's not going to be dead on but it will be pretty close to the tracks outlined in the book. I would also take the book. I always take extra food just in case and I'm a stickler for building in extra days for contingency.

Is premapping the track and using a GPS cheating? :D I'm a software engineer and sometimes project manager in IT so I love my gadgets.
cixelsyd
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MJD » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 7:14 am

I was thinking of mist and reduced visibility. Premapping a route is sensible but what that won't necessarily show is things like the gully to get off Massif (going the way you propose) rather than following the ridge which is hard or impossible.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stu » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 7:25 am

Some more on the Du Cane traverse info in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1206&p=10092&hilit=du+cane+traverse#p10092

A great walk, but as MJD says, your GPS won't help in some places as you need to navigate your way through an array of obstacles (Labyrinth area, cliff lines, house sized boulders etc. etc.). In fine weather & with experience in these areas / terrain then no problems, but as always, walk within your abilites!

Cheers.
Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 7:44 am

here are some photos and a few comments that I posted previously:

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1783
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cixelsyd » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 5:47 am

Great photos, Great links and a great forum. Thanks everyone. Looks like I wont be getting holidays until May next year. It looks like a heavy snow would make this route impossible. Has anyone done this route in winter?
cixelsyd
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain