Desktop version
Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.

Forum rules

Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15
Post a reply

A couple of questions for winter walking

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 8:19 am

Hi,

I'll be walking the OT early August this year and had a couple of questions regarding gear.

Are micro spikes worth taking? I will be taking walking poles(don't normally use them) just to help with potential ice and snow.

I an taking some lightweight overpants but dislike walking in them intensely. Has anyone used a rain kilt?

Cheers,

Pete

Re: A couple of questions for winter walking

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 7:44 pm

Yes the micro spikes are highly recommended. Mainly for the ice that forms on the boardwalk. August can be interesting with snow so you will also have a lot of debate about taking snowshoes. Given the temperatures you may need to walk in long pants or at a minimum shorts and take a pair of merino long johns if it gets cold! I dislike walking in rain pants as I get too hot and sweaty so don't tend to use them but I wear gaiters and a long hard-shell jacket so you don't have much exposed to the elements. Have not tried a kilt.

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 8:33 pm

Gore-Tex PacLite pants can replace your normal long pants...I try to keep any clothing item at 300g, so would prefer outerwear pants than a less functional, heavier under layer.

A

Tue 23 Apr, 2019 10:55 pm

I ordered a rain kilt today. If it turns out to be a dud I can use it to extend the porch on my double rainbow......

I really don't want to lug snowshoes around but will factor in a spare day just in case.

The Kathoola? Microspikes seem readily available in Sydney, any other brands worth looking at?

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 6:18 pm

Katoohla are the best for microspikes. Definitely worth taking as there are sections of track that will be icy throughout the day.

Snowshoes would only be advisable if there is heavy snow when you go. Some sections are almost certain to have drifts on them in August, but these are not always of sufficient extent to make it worth carrying snowshoes. Have a look at the conditions closer to your start date and borrow/hire a pair if they look like being useful.

Wed 24 Apr, 2019 6:34 pm

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Sun 05 May, 2019 7:11 am

Is there any possibility that any of the huts will be full? Walking from the 30th July to 6th August. We chose these dates as they fall outside any Uni/school holidays.

Also wondering people's opinions on the wisdom of carrying a lightweight tarp and bivviys as an emergency shelter (or even a bothy bag) rather than a tent?

Mon 06 May, 2019 8:06 pm

I’d be amazed if a hut was full in the middle of winter, you’ve much better chance of being in all the huts on your own.

Bear in mind that the huts are bitterly cold in winter with no-one else there. I’d imagine you’d be much warmer in a tent with a small air volume to keep warm.

Mon 06 May, 2019 8:14 pm

Did the OT last August and had 1 hut to ourselves.

Kia Ora had 4 others, Pelion had 8 or so. Windermere was full so we stayed in our tents.

Tue 07 May, 2019 6:36 am

Thanks for the info.

ILUVSWTAS, what we're conditions like for you last August?

Sun 21 Jul, 2019 12:04 pm

I have a little question for Winter walking... we are going for 9 days. 2 people, lots of hot drinks plus hot breakfasts. Dinners will mostly be dehydrated so will only require boiling. Will 3 x 230g canisters be enough for our MSR Pocket Rocket 2?

Sun 21 Jul, 2019 3:36 pm

I would think ample. I just went for 9 days, similar usage to your predicted requirements (and same stove..) and used a full large canister and had to crack the small one for coffee on my last day.

Sun 21 Jul, 2019 6:55 pm

Xastorm wrote:I would think ample. I just went for 9 days, similar usage to your predicted requirements (and same stove..) and used a full large canister and had to crack the small one for coffee on my last day.

Thanks for the response. I have a couple of questions. A large canister as in 450g? Also were you cooking for two?

Sun 21 Jul, 2019 7:15 pm

Sorry, no, the 230g for one!

Sun 21 Jul, 2019 7:16 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Windermere was full so we stayed in our tents.

May be better off staying in tents anyway - two of the skylights are leaking already.

Wed 24 Jul, 2019 8:04 pm

I have thought of another question for Winter walking...

I am planning on taking my solar charging kit with me on the Overland. Will there be enough sun/UV to make this worthwhile? Might hang it off my pack as I walk.

Wed 24 Jul, 2019 9:15 pm

Explorer_Sam wrote:I have thought of another question for Winter walking...

I am planning on taking my solar charging kit with me on the Overland. Will there be enough sun/UV to make this worthwhile? Might hang it off my pack as I walk.
That's a great way to guarantee cloudy weather the whole trip. Lol

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 12:10 pm

Last one from me, I have a S2S TKIII down sleeping bag rated to -11 C. Thinking of taking the thermolite reactor extreme liner but it's another bit of kit to squash in and I'm really not sure if it's necessary. I sweated like crazy in my sleeping bag in April but I realise it's a bit colder now. Should I take the reactor?

Plenty of layers, and the old Nalgene hot water bottle if I don't take the reactor and I get cold.
Post a reply