Likelihood of Snow in May?

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Likelihood of Snow in May?

Postby cixelsyd » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 6:48 am

Hi all,

I did the Overland track in September of this year in the snow. I didn't get a chance to do all of the sidetracks I wanted and next year I'm thinking I would incorporate the Walls into the journey similar to Frank in Oz's recent journey. I'm just wondering if May is similar to September for snow? I was really taken aback by the dramatic effect the snow has on the mountains and I really want to see it like that again. Mind you, it doesn't have to be the 1.3 meters I saw on the plateau in Sept. I also think I have a reasonable chance of convincing my better half to go.

Checking the rainfall gauges in Chapman's book it looks like the amount of precipitation is the same but I wonder if this translates to May snow = September snow.

Any opinions or direction are appreciated.

Great forum
cixelsyd
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Likelihood of Snow in May?

Postby samh » Sat 24 Oct, 2009 1:25 pm

Well I would say it is more likely to have snow up there in August-September or October than it is in May. We went on the OLT in June and didn't have any snow. That said, it can snow there any time of the year.
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Joel » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 5:37 pm

Hi - I live at next to the visitors center at Cradle Mt and work in the park (not for PWS).
This is a common question and is a bit tricky to answer accurately as I'm sure you know but the likelihood of snow in May is high. But it could go the other way just as easily. Whenever you visit this area for multi day walks it pays to bring gear for snow. As an example we had snow throughout late December and it was snowing on New Years day also.
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby cixelsyd » Sat 31 Oct, 2009 6:26 am

Thanks for the responses. Hope to see you guys out there next May
cixelsyd
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain